Photo

[Downtown Victoria] SoMA condo | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2009

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#221 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

I'm really dissapointed with the street level of this one. The entire thing is of a varying degree of a significant setback. And the car entrance absolutely dominates it - a large hole right in the middle of the thing. When, oh when are people going to learn?
These two errors in design are inexcusable on their own, but to have them both... It might as well have remained just another parking lot!

SAY NO TO SETBACKS! I DON'T CARE IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ME, BECAUSE YOU'RE WRONG IF YOU DO! NO SETBACKS!!!
AND BOOO TO BIG EFFING CAR ENTRANCES!!!!!

...Will not be completed by mid-may btw. Nowhere near meeting that completion date.

#222 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

The city frets about whether a building is ten feet too tall but completely overlooks much more significant issues.

As far as I can see, inappropriately large setbacks and short ground floors are the biggest issues that the planning folks need to address. Enough is enough. If we allow this stuff to continue to happen then we're going to wake up one day and realize we killed downtown.

As you say, what's the point of eliminating a parking lot if the new building also betrays all of the positive characteristics of adjacent buildings just as blatantly?

Unnecessarily large vehicle entrances are right up there, too.

Reflective windows on the ground floor are another major problem (identified in that Halifax planning document I linked to, by the way).

The articulation of narrow shop fronts,
characterized by close placement to the
sidewalk.

High levels of transparency (non-reflective and
non-tinted glazing on a minimum of 75% of the

first floor elevation).

#223 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

No matter the short comings, it still would be a great place to live.

#224 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

yeah but if you worked downtown, just try to imagine the commute. :D
In chains by Keynes

#225 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:16 PM

I'm not criticizing the basic concept. Just the execution of the ground floor.

#226 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

These are pretty much finished. All appliances, fixtures, etc. are installed and have seen people viewing (and measuring) this week and last. Anybody know how many have sold?

#227 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

This place is a done deal. Both floors of office are occupied.

Anyone know who the tenants are?

#228 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

Anyone know who the tenants are?

Yep. Ministry of Attorney General.

Apparently a couple of weeks ago, the top two condo floors were all sold with units on the 4th floor still available.

#229 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

Taken today

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#230 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

ooo it turned out even better than I'd hoped. I really like the crisp light colour and the parking entrance really isn't THAT bad. A solid infill, downtown needs about 50 more of these (and we hide 50 more without anyone noticing, so many little parking lots and 1-2 story under-developed garbage-buildings)
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#231 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

I think it looks great! The ground floor is a complete disgrace though.

#232 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

I think it looks great! The ground floor is a complete disgrace though.

I agree.

#233 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

The ground floor is a complete disgrace though.

Yet is it still better than the ground floor of The Wave. :o

#234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

I really like the variety of the streetscape with the addition of SoMa. You have art deco style on the west end, SoMA's post modern in the middle and '70's whatever-it-is next to SoMa.

...although the groundfloor of SoMa leaves something to be desired.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#235 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:40 AM

Is SoMA postmodern? SoPA - Space of Postmodern art?

#236 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:16 AM

Oh, the irony. Unless I'm dead wrong, of course, in which case the joke is on me.

Know it all.

#237 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

Walked by this on the weekend and the first thing that struck me is how atrocious the ground floor is.

#238 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

Didn't somebody advocate buildings on stilts as a way to eliminate the ground floor altogether? That's sort of what we have here.

Where did I see a nice little condo building the other day that was similar? I think it was on Gorge Road.

#239 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:40 PM

Here is the original plan. We managed to get the width of the parking entrance cut in half.

#240 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:33 AM

I agree that the ground floor frontage is non-descript.

What struck me when I had a look yesterday are the balconies on the SW corner. These are approx. 20 feet from the office windows at the Sussex bldg. I feel sorry for both the office workers in these locations who now have an unimpeded view in to people's living spaces, and the condo inhabitants who will have the joy(?) of watching office workers all day...
[yes, this will be sort of like watching paint dry][having worked in that building I feel that I can say that. am also happy that I won't have to work in one of these offices]

So what do the condo dwellers do? put up bamboo privacy screens along the balcony?
Pieta VanDyke

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users