Photo

[Downtown Victoria] SoMA condo | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2009

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#201 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

If they go office instead, will they get rid of the parking?

I just wasn't the biggest fan of this one, and the ground floor was the reason.

I believe eliminating the parking would jack up the floor space ratio past what was approved.

For the record, this is the letter the DRA submitted back in 2006 when it was still a mixed-use project:

- - - - - -

Re: Proposal for development –732 Broughton St.

November 14, 2006

The DRA Land Use Committee has reviewed plans for a six storey mixed use building proposed on the site of a parking lot at 732 Broughton Street. The building is planned to consist of ground floor retail, two storeys of office space and three floors of residential. A zero metre setback variance is being requested by the developer.

The construction of this building, while filling in a surface parking lot, will impact some of the views from the lower floors of the Sussex office building.

It should be noted the neighbouring Lindholm Building to the east at 734 Broughton is applying for a rezoning to extend the fourth floor to the front of the building along with extensive exterior renovations. This extension will impact the east views to a degree. This building is also home to the Japanese Village restaurant and as such, the roof contains the restaurant’s exhaust fans. A residential development in close proximity to this type of ventilation equipment may be problematic in terms of noise and smell.

The Committee is concerned that although the parkade holds only a dozen cars, the entrance is double-wide and occupies a large portion of the building’s street frontage. We have been told that making the entrance one lane wide would make a second retail storefront possible but would increase the FSR over the maximum 3:1 and would trigger a rezoning. 732 Broughton is beside the large parking garage entrance of the Sussex building. As gated parking garage entrances add little to enhance sidewalk vibrancy, efforts to reduce their visual impact must be considered.

The committee feels the addition of this building will do much to enhance the liveliness of the 700 block Broughton.

Sincerely,

Robert Randall
Chair, DRA Land Use Committee

#202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

What's the latest on this project? Is it still planned as a mix of office/residential or has the residential component been axed?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#203 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

Looks like the residential is going ahead. My office looks over the project, and they are currently erecting the wall shells on the the first floor of condos. With four condos per floor, boy, are they going to be teeny-tiny.

#204 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:51 PM

Yes, they have decided to stick with the original mixed office/residential plan. The two-bedroom suites are all around 740 sq. ft.

#205 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:48 PM

The white aluminum panels on the front are being retained but due to cost factors many are being replaced by stucco panels on the upper floors. From the sidewalk it probably won't be noticeable. It's a minor change but still the City requires the DRA to approve it before construction can continue.

Don't you love Community Associations? :D

#206 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

The white aluminum panels on the front are being retained but due to cost factors many are being replaced by stucco panels on the upper floors.

Blech! Stucco the bane of west coast architecture.:mad:

#207 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

At least it's not beige, peach or salmon.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#208 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:28 AM

I love some stucco just not the thin flat stuff.

#209 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:28 AM

Look to me like some of these units are going to be pretty dark inside, the lower floors in particular.

#210 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:31 AM

The lower floors are office so it is ok.

#211 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:52 AM

Don't you love Community Associations?

What I love is when they can laugh at themselves.
You rock Rob

#212 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:23 PM

This building is topped out and will most likely be finished in about 4-6 months I would guess...

#213 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

The have started putting the glass on the front of the building. I'm pleased with how it looks.

BTW, the low-rise Vital Statistics building at 818 Fort St. is getting a slick new glass curtainwall facade.

#214 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

I'm disappointed with the large setback on this one. There should have been no setback, so as to be consistent with the Sussex facade.

#215 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

I can't seem to get my ass downtown these days (even though I work in the Westside Village!), but this one is pretty much wrapped up now isn't it?
In chains by Keynes

#216 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

I can't seem to get my ass downtown these days (even though I work in the Westside Village!), but this one is pretty much wrapped up now isn't it?

Nope, this one is still not completed. I'm looking at the roof of SOMA peaking out from the library and can still see scaffolding up the east side, with the blueskin building wrap. If I remember I'll pop by after work and take a few pictures too post!

#217 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

To add: The condo interiors have got their wall frames up, but that's it. None of the interior work seems to be started yet. The windows are in and look quite nice. As guyinthesky mentioned, I believe they are working on the outer siding now.

#218 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

it's coming along...:

#219 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:20 AM

^Thanks Bill. ;)

That's weird, I could have sworn this project was further along when I last saw it a couple of months ago! :confused:
In chains by Keynes

#220 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:09 AM

Completion will be mid May.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users