gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:06 PM

You funny people.:)

#162 aastra

aastra
  • 20,828 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:57 PM

Damn, I had a racquetball match booked there next Sunday.

Don't remind me. My Jai alai league is having a heck of a time finding a new venue.

#163 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,953 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:07 PM

Don't remind me. My Jai alai league is having a heck of a time finding a new venue.

I understand a new "urban plaza" will soon be replacing that unsightly bowling green behind the nearly completed Aria project. Get your application in now with Mayor Lowe for a chance at a first class - and might I add, much needed - jai alai court in this location. This has the potential to add literally 7 people to vibrancy of the area!

#164 aastra

aastra
  • 20,828 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:20 PM

So you're saying the much-needed Jai alai court should trump the much-needed downtown heliport?

#165 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

I tried playing jai alai near a heliport and got my balls sliced up.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#166 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:25 PM

Holden, I might be 5, but I can't stop giggling after reading your above post.

#167 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:26 PM

I'd be curious to know unit sizes & prices in this development.

#168 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:35 PM

I am betting they will be lower then other buildings nearby such as the Falls. But I guess they may be the same.

#169 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,744 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:25 PM

#170 LJ

LJ
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

I didn't read the whole thread but what does SoMA stand for.

In Vancouver it means south of Main but there is no Main st. in Victoria which in itself is a little unusual.

#171 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

Space of Modern Architecture

Main runs north/south in Vancouver so how can you be south of main unless you are in Richmond...

#172 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,953 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:40 PM

I think I liked it better when I DIDN'T know what the name meant.

I can't hear/see the word soma without thinking of Aldous Huxley's novel Brave New World. In this landmark story, "Soma is the popular dream-inducing drug which is employed by the government as a method of control through pleasure and immediate availability. It is ordinary among the culture of the novel for everyone to use it for whatever various practices: sex, relaxation, concentration, confidence. It is seemingly a single-chemical combination of many of today's drugs' effects, giving its patients the full hedonistic spectrum."
(credit: Wikipedia)

Why on earth would someone name a condo building Soma?

#173 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

I can't hear/see the word soma without thinking of Aldous Huxley's novel Brave New World. In this landmark story, "Soma is the popular dream-inducing drug which is employed by the government as a method of control through pleasure and immediate availability. It is ordinary among the culture of the novel for everyone to use it for whatever various practices: sex, relaxation, concentration, confidence. It is seemingly a single-chemical combination of many of today's drugs' effects, giving its patients the full hedonistic spectrum."
(credit: Wikipedia)

Why on earth would someone name a condo building Soma?

No kidding. That's what Soma means to me, too. I guess architects don't read enough?? :-)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#174 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,744 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:45 PM

The condo name generator must have broken down.

That and The Chelsea was already taken. Twice.

#175 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

So were all the names with bay in it and park.

#176 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:28 PM

No kidding. That's what Soma means to me, too. I guess architects don't read enough?? :-)

looks like soma has two meanings:
an intoxicating juice from a plant of disputed identity that was used in ancient India as an offering to the gods and as a drink of immortality by worshippers in Vedic ritual and worshipped in personified form as a Vedic god
-or-
1 : the body of an organism
2 : all of an organism except the germ cells
3 : cell body
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/soma

#177 LJ

LJ
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

Main runs north/south in Vancouver so how can you be south of main unless you are in Richmond...

I mispoke - the "of" shouldn't have been there.

#178 LJ

LJ
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:46 PM

I could follow you with Soma meaning the drug but this is SoMA, with lowercase o and uppercase MA - should mean south ......... shouldn't it?

#179 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,953 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

I could follow you with Soma meaning the drug but this is SoMA, with lowercase o and uppercase MA - should mean south ......... shouldn't it?

So perhaps South Massachusetts? MA being the postal standard abbreviation for this New England state.

#180 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

The most famous SoMa is of course, San Francisco's South of Market St. district. Nearby San Jose has an area below First St. that is called SoFa, for South of First Area.

How about Victoria's SoFa: "South of Fort Area"? NoBro, North of Broughton? EDo, East of Douglas (lots of Japanese restaurants)?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users