GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

^^ Wasn't Strongbow already expensive?

#42 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

Several places in town now have the Hoyne items on tap. I had a Pilsner the other day at the Sticky Wicket, and I've heard the Beagle and Darcy's have them as well.

I'm a real fan of the Pilsner. Maybe a pils is not exotic enough for some tastes, or too pedestrian, but you can't hide any flaws in the simplicity of a Pilsner, it has to be good to taste good. And the Hoyner Pilsner is good. Real good.

#43 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Now on tap at Garrick's Head is the O.K spring summer weizen, V.I's Flying tanker white IPA.
the tanker is limited, so get it while it lasts.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#44 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

Several places in town now have the Hoyne items on tap. I had a Pilsner the other day at the Sticky Wicket, and I've heard the Beagle and Darcy's have them as well.

I'm a real fan of the Pilsner. Maybe a pils is not exotic enough for some tastes, or too pedestrian, but you can't hide any flaws in the simplicity of a Pilsner, it has to be good to taste good. And the Hoyner Pilsner is good. Real good.

I actually bought a growler of the pil based on this post and it really hit the spot, after mowing the lawn on a hot day. Their IPA, however, was far, far too hoppy for my liking and I struggled to finish it.

#45 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

I actually bought a growler of the pil based on this post and it really hit the spot, after mowing the lawn on a hot day. Their IPA, however, was far, far too hoppy for my liking and I struggled to finish it.

I haven't tried the IPA yet. I did just try the Big Bock last week, which I didn't expect to really like and was pleasantly surprised by how drinkable I found it.

But the Hoyne Pilsner is my current favorite beer, period.

#46 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

I'm a huge fan of their Dark Matter, but otherwise nothing from Hoyne has really impressed me yet - maybe my expectations were too high as everyone I know was praising them pretty highly. The pilsner is the only one I haven't tried yet though.

#47 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Along with our expansion at Garrick's Head I will be adding another 22 beer taps to make a total of 44. So some great new beers coming!

#48 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

We went to Joe Fortes in Downtown Vancouver tonight for dinner and noticed they had the same dismal beer list as the Victoria Keg. I asked the waiter and he said they had been recently bought by the Keg. Obviously, one of the first moves they made was to force Joe's to conform to Molson's monopoly so that every tap dispenses only Molson products or products they have the rights to, including Heineken.

It's just insane that these higher end chain restaurants have massive quality wine lists for pairing wine with any food yet the beer selection is no better than a sleazy strip club. I suspect Milestones may be better.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

So I'm out in Langley tonight (don't ask why, I'm as shocked as you) and while shopping at the local government liquor store in order to get supplies that will make me forget I'm in Langley I perused the craft beer selection and was pleasantly surprised to see the selection of Victoria beers on display. I picked up a six pack of Lighthouses new Switchback IPA, which is very hoppy.

All Lighthouse and VIB beers were there, in fact, I'd say they outnumbered the lower mainland craft beers depending if you count Granville Island as a craft product. Anyway, Victoria is punching above it's weight in the liquor store although it's harder to find on tap at the local restaurants and pubs.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#50 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

All Lighthouse and VIB beers were there, in fact, I'd say they outnumbered the lower mainland craft beers depending if you count Granville Island as a craft product. Anyway, Victoria is punching above it's weight in the liquor store although it's harder to find on tap at the local restaurants and pubs.

Phillips is quietly becoming the largest Brewery on the island and I have friends that say they have their beer across parts of western Canada. Seems by marketing design they are playing the "small craft brewery" but in reality are getting quite the volume of product out there! Good to see a local company doing great!

#51 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

So I'm out in Langley tonight (don't ask why, I'm as shocked as you) and while shopping at the local government liquor store in order to get supplies that will make me forget I'm in Langley I perused the craft beer selection and was pleasantly surprised to see the selection of Victoria beers on display. I picked up a six pack of Lighthouses new Switchback IPA, which is very hoppy.

I just tapped a keg of switchback here at Garrick's! only kegs in the province are in my fridge as far as i know.

#52 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

The Fernwood Inn is devoting one of its taps to rotating through some of Phillips Brewing Company's more eclectic craft brews. On tap right now is Phillips' Amnesiac Double IPA, described as "...a big beer. Mind blowing amounts of hops give this beer tons of flavour and aroma. Not for the faint of heart. The bigger, meaner cousin to the Hop Circle IPA."

#53 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

I also just tapped some Unibroue Ephemere today, i had never had it before but had a taste and its real good!

#54 daddyRuss

daddyRuss
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

OMF .... Hoyner Pilsner is world class .... easily one of the best pilsner I have ever tasted. And I have tried quite a few of them. And a lot of them when I was in Czech Republic last year.

On a different note, anybody knows a place that have Steam Whistle on tap?

Cheers,
Russ

#55 daddyRuss

daddyRuss
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

btw OSJ ... can't wait to check out the new joint ... don't make us wait too long :)

#56 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

I just had a Hoyne Easy Pale Ale yesterday. Appropriately named... easy drinking great beer with a little hop finish for when you dont want a 7% IPA.

#57 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

i have a couple kegs for Hermannator in the fridge. should be on soon.

#58 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

The Hoyne High Voltage Espresso stout (uses espresso from Habit coffee) has become a favorite of mine, definitely recommend trying it out if you like that sort of thing. I think it's a limited release too so it may not be around for too long.

Today Philips is giving out samples of their new Super-Krypton double rye IPA from 4-6 at the brewery.

#59 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

I have been bringing in some cool beers at Garrick's Head.
Had a keg of Gigantic's Black friday a couple weeks ago. Have some kegs of Green Flash's west coast ipa to go on tap this week. Pouring Phillips Trainwreck barley wine right now, after its done it will be Phillips Hammer.
We also have the only kegs of Driftwoods Blackstone Porter.
In a couple weeks we will have Parallel 49's Vow of Silence.

#60 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I tried Hoyne Dark Matter this weekend, which is a very nice beer. I've quickly become a big fan of this brewery. The only downside is that Canoe's beer has completely fallen apart since Hoyne left.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users