Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8238 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move. I'm not sure if we have a thread like this already, could't find one.

Anyway, the luggage shop on 1300-blk Douglas downtown is closing out.
  • Kapten Kapsell and James Bay walker like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:24 PM

Lincoln Luggage?

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

That is one more hole in that block...

We need a major retailer to come in and consolidate some spots and bring this block back to life. Also coule they please paint the building Macs is in it is half the reason no one wants to come here.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

Yep, it could use a freshening up.

Hope the replacement for the luggage store is a step up and not some no-name dollar store or some crap. This block has to get it together.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

buck a slice maybe?

It has a whole new look!

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

^Only if it shares space with a cheque cashing outlet.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#7 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

Well, they could put a needle exchange in above the cheque cashing outlet.

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:36 AM

^Excellent! Call it "Despair 'R' Us".

I noticed that Neptune Seafoods is closed--a long time fixture of Fort Street's Antique Row near Blanshard. I don't know if they retired or what but rents in that strip must be at least $2500 a month based a figure quoted in an article in the T.C. on the neighbouring art gallery. I don't think there's any place in downtown now that sells specialty seafood.

#9 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

Re: Neptune -The original operators sold it, and it kind of didn't work out after that... Apparently you need to work your butt off to make a profit. Who knew. :roll:

#10 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

That's too bad, they were able to get rather large sized Lobster.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#11 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:52 PM

What's happening with the redevelopment of the Mayfair Lanes?

#12 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:01 PM

Bigger WalMart going in there right?

#13 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:34 PM

Superstore.

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:35 PM

They are taking their own sweet time building it though.

It has a whole new look!

#15 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

What's the name of the building across Douglas from The Mint? I always call it... "the building across Douglas from The Mint", but I imagine it has a real name.

Anyway, in the slightly below street level retail, the record shop has closed down, and the swimsuit shop has had "Retirement Sale" signs up for awhile. The restaurant in the level above is once again closed down, but it looks like they're working in there again. That restaurant spot seems to be a doomed location, but the retail in the floor below seems to do OK.

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:14 AM

They need to blast the floor away and have it as one large space. Also they need to bring the retail forward towards the street. That alone would save the building owners the 40 thousand plus they pay on security.

It has a whole new look!

#17 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:36 AM

If you mean the building with the Flower Shop on the corner, it's called "City Centre Plaza". Not one of my personal favourites.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:13 AM

Hopefully Garden of Eden expands. This town needs more sex shops.

Seriously though, there used to be maybe one or two, now there must be 8 or 10.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:59 PM

Can I tell you my Garden of Eden story? Here's how I remember it. At one time, a couple of decades ago, it was located in Nootka Court, right across from the Vic Theatre entrance. The large display windows were papered over so us kiddies wouldn't be corrupted by viewing the sinister goings on. Fast forward several years--Garden of Eden has relocated to their present location and several new "adult" shops have opened downtown--none with covered windows, in fact, the windows are full with "soft core" clothing and novelties in full public view. An enraged Garden of Eden owner demands to know from City Hall why these new shops are allowed to display adult items openly when he's been forbidden to for so many years. The reply--there never was an official bylaw against displaying adult items in a store window. He'd been had.

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:05 PM

We have lost another corner store in Victoria. Cook Street Grocery has closed. That is the second one in that area in 5 years.
  • Seagoddess64 likes this

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users