Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8238 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:16 PM

^ Yes, both North Park (at Quadra) grocery closed, and the one on Quadra opposite the Crystal pool a few years back.

Is the one at Princess and Chambers still open?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:17 PM

The funky glass sculpture shop that was formerly the school uniform store is closed. So is Edwards Welding. Edwards equipment goes on auction tomorrow.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:17 PM

"The Well" is coming!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

Is the one at Princess and Chambers still open?

It is now a used baby clothes store I believe.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

I don't mind the folks that run "the Gathering Place" on Fisgard. Nice little place, catres a lot to the office workers at MOH/MSP I suppose.

#26 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:42 PM

Cook Street Grocery has closed. That is the second one in that area in 5 years.

You're talking about the one by George Jay school? That store wasn't very old. It only opened in the late 1980s. I can't remember what it was before but it wasn't a grocery store.

A lot of neighbourhood grocery stores have closed and opened over the years. There was one over by Vic High on the side street parallel to Fernwood, one over by Oaklands School (which turned into a Szechuan restaurant, now closed). Crap, there were a bunch. There was one on Hillside where Blockbuster Video is now. It opened when I was a kid and lasted a few years and then closed. Is that little one on Kings a block or two east of the Brick still open? Anyway, there were others. There was one on Finlayson west of Cook, it later became a U-Brew place or something like that. There was one on Richmond right across from the Young Building at Camosun. Of course there was one at the foot of Mt. Tolmie. They come and go.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:44 PM

^ Yup. Next to the clinic where your girlfriend used to go to get free birth control pills 8) , that was also located adjacent to family court and the juvenile detention centre.

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:41 PM

There was one on Hillside where Blockbuster Video is now. It opened when I was a kid and lasted a few years and then closed.

I believe that was Carberry Market, owned by the same guy(s) that owned the neighbouring Dairy Queen (which I remember before the renovation when it was merely a take-out window that looked very similar to [url=http://static.flickr.com/62/169145618_8c4ca4375e_o.jpg:b65fd]this[/url:b65fd].)
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#29 simon

simon
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:34 PM

Is that little one on Kings a block or two east of the Brick still open?

As of a couple months ago, yes.

I must have passed by the Cook St Market hundreds of times. Stopped in once. Can't say I'll miss it.
It is too bad that type of store doesn't invite more investment - Adam's Food Fair at Haultain and Belmont is a good example.

#30 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:51 PM

...and the swimsuit shop has had "Retirement Sale" signs up for awhile...

Looks like the swimsuit shop will be replaced with... a swimsuit shop. It's papered with an "undergoing renovations" sign.

#31 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:20 AM

What's happening with the redevelopment of the Mayfair Lanes?

Well, I noticed a fence around the bowling alley yesterday!

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:23 AM

Cool it is about time they got started on that. The rendering for the store was actully pretty nice for what it was.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#33 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:28 AM

I work in an office very close to that area, so when a grocery store goes in, it will probably end up being my default stop-for-milk-on-the-way-home place. I imagine grocery will complement Mayfair nicely.

I'd like to see a really good bookstore in that part of town or in Langford! Right now, it's either Bolen or Munro's or Russell for used. A good bookstore anywhere north of Mayfair would suck up a lot of my spare salary. The mall bookstore does not count.

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:41 AM

Milk! Ha, right! It's a Superstore. You'll go in just for some milk and end up going home with a case of microwave popcorn, a giant brick of cheese and a 48-pack of tube socks.

And you forgot the milk.

#35 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:41 PM

Milk! Ha, right! It's a Superstore. You'll go in just for some milk and end up going home with a case of microwave popcorn, a giant brick of cheese and a 48-pack of tube socks.

And you forgot the milk.

I would vigorously deny this, except---

It's so true.

#36 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

Milk! Ha, right! It's a Superstore. You'll go in just for some milk and end up going home with a microwave, a giant brick of cheese and a 48-pack of tube socks.

And you forgot the milk.

Slight correction based on my history. :shock:

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:12 PM

There's this great show on CBC called [url=http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/e06/index.html#epnav:9c18a]Dragon's Den[/url:9c18a] where small-time entrepeneurs pitch their business ideas to a panel of five millionaires who decide whether they should invest. One episode features [url=http://www.coldbentglass.com/contact/index.htm:9c18a]Rick Silas[/url:9c18a] who owned that art glass shop that is on the site of The Well office/condo project on Caledonia. They made a deal so it'll be interesting to see what happens. He uses old window glass from highrises and recycles it into art and building products.

#38 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:26 AM

The Market on/at? Millstream has opened. It was busy at 5:40 pm on Friday night. Nice new store, lots of selection, but my impression was that prices were high. (My husband is much better at retaining price-per-item information than I am so I'll get him to verify sometime.)

In the aisle for 'ethnic foods', one of the sections was 'British Food', heh. They had those odd varieties of peas (marrowfat and, is it mushy?) and puddings in a tin, and some Spotted Dick! I am so going to buy some spotted dick and serve it for dinner one day.

It looks like there are still a couple of biggish stores to finish and open, but I'm not sure what they are.

<wistful sigh> Wouldn't it be nice if one happened to be a bookstore...</wistful sigh>

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:23 AM

Market on Millstream/Yates is more expensive than the other supermarkets--pricewise, higher than Thrifty's but cheaper than [url=http://www.meinhardt.com/:02ab3]Meinhardt's[/url:02ab3] on Granville or those other high-end markets. Maybe with the power of two stores and the more price-concious Millstream shoppers prices will drop. Still, it's worth it for the better quality meats, produce, bakery, deli, imported food etc.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:40 AM

I heard Millstream buys in bulk with Fairways and other smaller grocery retailers so they can compete with Thrift's et al.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users