* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8292 replies to this topic

#4601 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

But Steve Jobs et al didn't start Apple because they wanted to make shareholders rich.

I'd agree with that. And that is a large difference between privately held and publicly traded companies. No doubt Mr. Jobs expected to be handsomely rewarded for his efforts, bit his goal was providing an excellent product and innovating. After an IPO the company has the responsibility to get the best possible return for its shareholders.

#4602 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

Maybe that's the problem! Maybe we shouldn't be putting the decision-making power in the hands of people whose primary objective is at odds with the interests of the consumers and employees.

Would you be happy with your retirement savings making a smaller return?

#4603 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

Would you be happy with your retirement savings making a smaller return?

Of course not. What gets me are the social justice warriors (not referring to you THC) who bleat on and on about social corporate responsibility but then put their own money into ETFs or roboadvisors which then buy every vice and soul crushing company they can if it makes money. 

• jonny likes this

#4604 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

Well there are lots of newer options for ETFs and roboadvisors that consider this type of things. Here's one (of many) example:

https://www.wealthsi...sible-investing

#4605 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

Well there are lots of newer options for ETFs and roboadvisors that consider this type of things. Here's one (of many) example:

https://www.wealthsi...sible-investing

Wealthsimple buys ETFs. I really doubt that they have anyone of staff dedicated to then researching every company that each of the ETFs hold and validating its treatment of its staff and customers.

For fun I just checked the holdings of two of the ETFs that Wealthsimple buys as part of its SRI portfolio. The first ETF is the Jantsi social index fund which holds oil companies and banks for more than 50% of its positions. The Vident international equity ETF which is supposed to focus on international companies in areas of low human rights abuses and corruption has some of its largest holdings in China and the far east.

Edited by spanky123, 25 January 2018 - 10:26 AM.

#4606 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

Unsure if this was previously reported:  Fairway Markets is taking over Western Foods in Langford.  See http://www.timescolo...ford-1.23158934

• Nparker and Kilo95 like this

#4607 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:12 PM

Unsure if this was previously reported:  Fairway Markets is taking over Western Foods in Langford.  See http://www.timescolo...ford-1.23158934

They are still using plastic bags at the till.   :cheers:

#4608 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

They are still using plastic bags at the till.   

Not at the Quadra Village location as of July 1, 2018  :mad:

#4609 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:20 AM

What's happening to their Westshore Town Centre location? The two stores seem a bit too close.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#4610 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:19 AM

That one is still open.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4611 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:11 AM

No closer than two Fairways along Shelbourne

#4612 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:13 AM

Golly that lawsuit is not very good news for Red Barn.

That could cost them some serious money.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4613 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:21 AM

Golly that lawsuit is not very good news for Red Barn.

That could cost them some serious money.

I think that if they were warned about the guy taking videos and did nothing then they could be liable. I think it would be a stretch though to convince a jury that they should have anticipated that he might do something like this.

Doesn't really matter though, the usual intent is to try and extract a settlement without every testing the issue in court. 

#4614 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

This employee needs to be locked up. Looks like SPD is working on building the case more before pressing charges.

#4615 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

This employee needs to be locked up. Looks like SPD is working on building the case more before pressing charges.

Agreed but you would have to wonder why it is taking the cops 2+ years after they arrested him?

#4616 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:00 AM

No closer than two Fairways along Shelbourne

Isn't one of those actually on McKenzie at Cedar Hill? Nevertheless, it's only a few blocks from the Shelbourne Plaza location.

#4617 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

One kilometer.

#4618 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

Agreed but you would have to wonder why it is taking the cops 2+ years after they arrested him?

They say they are taking their time. The TC does not name the man, other media (CTV, CHEK, CFAX) does. His father, that was once partner in Red Barn, now heads up the Old Farm Market, for Lorne Campbell (of the Thrifty Foods family). So you might guess that the family has enough money to put roadblocks in the way of the investigation, if they were inclined to.

Probably trying to figure out how stuff got on a Russian website is difficult or impossible too.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 31 January 2018 - 09:21 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4619 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

What's happening to their Westshore Town Centre location? The two stores seem a bit too close.

Isn't one of those actually on McKenzie at Cedar Hill? Nevertheless, it's only a few blocks from the Shelbourne Plaza location.

One kilometer.

So about the same distance as the Westshore Town Centre and Goldstream Avenue locations.

Capture.JPG

#4620 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

They say they are taking their time. The TC does not name the man, other media (CTV, CHEK, CFAX) does. His father, that was once partner in Red Barn, now heads up the Old Farm Market, for Lorne Campbell (of the Thrifty Foods family). So you might guess that the family has enough money to put roadblocks in the way of the investigation, if they were inclined to.

Probably trying to figure out how stuff got on a Russian website is difficult or impossible too.

Ok so why arrest the guy if you don't have enough evidence to press charges? Do you not just start the clocking ticking?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

2000larry