Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#5761 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:15 PM

So would this be applicable:

Well, I'm not sure; all Shoppers Drug Marts *sell Carlton Cards*, so that will continue, but Google Maps has given me the impression that Carlton Cards at Hillside is a store-within-a-store, similar to how Canada Post operates within various Shoppers locations...

#5762 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:25 PM

DIdn't even realize, but Things Engraved closed without any warning earlier this month. They closed every store in Canada with only 24 hour notice to their employees.

#5763 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

Blair Mart, the Mediterranean grocery on Pandora across the street from Our Place, is closing down. Incredible that it lasted as long as it did. Owner says he is looking for another location.

#5764 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,728 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:36 PM

...Google Maps has given me the impression that Carlton Cards at Hillside is a store-within-a-store, similar to how Canada Post operates within various Shoppers locations...

I'll have to take a closer look the next time I am in the Hillside SDM location. I've never noticed a store-within-a-store card outlet there before.

#5765 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:07 AM

Ten Thousand Villages, a fair-trade social enterprise mostly run by a Winnipeg-based charity, says it will shut its Canadian corporate operations after 74 years. The company will close its online shop and wholesale operations, as well as its 10 remaining company stores this year, citing a "challenging retail environment" where the existing model no longer works. Ten Thousand Villages was designed to market handcrafted products made in developing countries to Canadian consumers.

List of Canadian fair trade co's here http://cftn.ca/products-companies

Edited by VIResident, 23 January 2020 - 06:09 AM.

#5766 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:12 AM

Wasn’t there one of these along the Pandora frontage of Market Square?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5767 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:37 AM

Wasn’t there one of these along the Pandora frontage of Market Square?

Yes, it was across the street from Swan's...

• Mike K. likes this

#5768 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:41 AM

You're thinking of the Global Village Store, still in Market Square, unaffiliated with 10KV. Or are you folks digging into old memories?

• Nparker likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#5769 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:44 AM

Oh, now I'm confused.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5770 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:16 AM

Well, there *was* a 10,000 Villages store a few years ago on Government Street:  https://www.tenthous...sistant-manager

I think Jasmine is right, Mike:  we must have been thinking of the (similar) Global Village store on Pandora. 

• Mike K. likes this

#5771 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:21 AM

Ten Thousand Villages announces closure of corporate operations

"In a press release, the company called today’s climate a “challenging retail environment.”

BY ABIGAIL TURNER GLOBAL NEWS
Posted January 22, 2020 5:42 am
Updated January 22, 2020 7:43 am

https://globalnews.c...ations-closing/

"Not every Canadian location will be closing its doors, as the company has a selection of stores that are independently owned and will be able to remain open."

Edited by VIResident, 23 January 2020 - 10:24 AM.

#5772 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:15 PM

We don’t have a local outlet in Victoria, but it’s rumoured that all Bench stores will be closing nationwide soon (there are 4-5 locations in the lower mainland)...

#5773 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

I was at Sport Chek at the Bay Centre over the weekend. Wondering how long they will last there. Seems like the back half of the store (i.e. where the Golf section was) has been converted to a storage area. It definitely didn't look like a store that was in good shape, when contrasted against their other locations in the region. Something seems up.

• Mike K. likes this

#5774 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:08 AM

I stopped in a week before Christmas and it was the same. Disaster zone. Cardboard piled up all over the place, disinterested staff, seemed like there was just stuff piled up all over the place.

Went into Winners afterwards, equally depressing.

Matt.

#5775 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:49 AM

You know, now that I think about it I have yet to set foot in the downtown Winners.

Know it all.

#5776 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:28 AM

I stopped in a week before Christmas and it was the same. Disaster zone. Cardboard piled up all over the place, disinterested staff, seemed like there was just stuff piled up all over the place.

Went into Winners afterwards, equally depressing.

Matt.

Retail is changing. 

Stores are becoming more, storage like.  

They sell online.

When the 'lease' is up they will shut down the 'store'.

Find cheap warehouse space and off they go.

Mark my words - in a few years malls will no longer be as we know them.  They will become warehousing for online stores.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5777 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:00 AM

Consumers Distrubutor was way ahead of it’s time.

Matt.
  • Rob Randall and Victoria Watcher like this

#5778 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:10 AM

Was in Capital Iron this weekend and was really surprised at how sparse the place was. Its like they have reduced their stock by 1/2....

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5779 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,989 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:16 AM

Was in Capital Iron this weekend and was really surprised at how sparse the place was. Its like they have reduced their stock by 1/2....

that's not a good sign.  

#5780 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:19 AM

It might simply be related to a change in 'seasonal' items carried ..?

• Rob Randall and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users