* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6301 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:31 AM

Bigger issue with clothing at the moment is that fewer people are buying because they work all day at home in their PJs. 

#6302 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:34 AM

Bigger issue with clothing at the moment is that fewer people are buying because they work all day at home in their PJs. 

or less (toobin).

#6303 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:05 PM

I used to shop at Le chateau a lot in the 90s -
/ early 2000s - And so did many people I know.
Over time, the clothes became cheap looking -
Poor quality, not that it was ever great quality but it just became awful and pretty expensive compared to other fast fashion brands. I’m not surprised and I doubt it was Covid related.
Just happened faster, the nail in the coffin
  • Rob Randall, spanky123 and Victoria Watcher like this

#6304 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:10 PM

I used to shop at Le chateau a lot in the 90s -
/ early 2000s - And so did many people I know.
Over time, the clothes became cheap looking -
Poor quality, not that it was ever great quality but it just became awful and pretty expensive compared to other fast fashion brands. I’m not surprised and I doubt it was Covid related.
Just happened faster, the nail in the coffin

reading a bit of the history of the chain they certainly changed directions quite a few times in terms of styles and production lines.

#6305 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:27 AM

Ah yes, here we go:

https://blog.lechate...plaid-potatoes/

#6306 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:49 AM

One of the first pictures is of Bill Cosby and the Cosby show cast.  You would think they would remove that since Cosby is in jail for rape.  I guess they would remove a Weinstein picture.  It doesn't really matter since they are going bankrupt now.

#6307 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:18 PM

reading a bit of the history of the chain they certainly changed directions quite a few times in terms of styles and production lines.

I grew up with le Chateau in Montreal in the 60s. Their target customer was under-25, mainly male. The clothes were Carnaby Street/London-inspired, very mod, bell bottoms, frock coats and such. I got a job and needed a suit and got a nice grey tweed job there for $85. They certainly did change direction a few times, seemed to lose their focus IMO. And the customers got older.

#6308 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:26 PM

Early 2000s they were cheap disposable fashion kind of like forever21. They became more expensive, more like banana republic or something

#6309 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:53 PM

There is a problem when you keep pivoting. 

Us older folks still think of them as the place we bought hip clothes when we were kids. So I never went in there once I got older. Didn't realize they had changed focus.

Their recent version, at least on the women's side, was business clothes in the front and cocktail dresses in the back. Only found that out by accident when I went with someone else in to the store.

• johnk2 likes this

#6310 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:58 PM

Are people into fashion at all anymore? I mean it seems like even "hip" youngsters look like they were outfitted at value village.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#6311 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:03 PM

Are people into fashion at all anymore? I mean it seems like even "hip" youngsters look like they were outfitted at value village.

it seems bit hard to tell for sure.  but that might just be our old eyes.  i suspect sneakers and hats must be a certain brand to be cool.

i would guess that running a fashion store is difficult.  you have to have all the right sizes in everything, but get stuck with too much stock when styles change and it's unsellable at almost any price.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2020 - 07:04 PM.

#6312 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:07 PM

Starting in the 90s thrift store clothing lost its negative stigma. Kids today gravitate towards classic looks, thrift finds and retro styles.

Mainly because design itself is stagnating. Clothing, cars, music, architecture--very little has changed substantially in 20 years compared to previous decades.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#6313 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

The Very Good Butchers says that this new deal will see their products shipped to Eastern Canada in the coming weeks, adding to a current distribution network of 275 stores.

Shipped products are currently limited to the production capacity from the company’s sole Victoria facility.

Two additional production facilities will be coming online in 2021 in Vancouver and Patterson, California, which the company says will help meet increased demand.

https://www.victoria...nada-expansion/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2020 - 09:06 PM.

• GaryRanson likes this

#6314 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:57 AM

The Very Good Butchers says that this new deal will see their products shipped to Eastern Canada in the coming weeks, adding to a current distribution network of 275 stores.

Shipped products are currently limited to the production capacity from the company’s sole Victoria facility.

Two additional production facilities will be coming online in 2021 in Vancouver and Patterson, California, which the company says will help meet increased demand.

https://www.victoria...nada-expansion/

If you go to their website it says that it will take 3 weeks to get your order because they are out of stock. Don't see the benefit of new distribution until they have more supply.

#6315 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:17 AM

To the excitement of I'm sure at least six or seven people, the new Dollarama downtown looks just about ready to open - signage up, shelves stocked.

#6316 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:20 AM

Dollarama might be the only brick and mortar retail chain that is still expanding. A sad commentary on the state of society.

#6317 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:22 AM

they serve a certain niche. I’m a bit unclear as to how they proliferate so well even in the face of Walmart.

what are they doing that Walmart isn’t?

certainly catering to those with no vehicle. but how do they manage to outprice say shoppers or London drugs that would be downtown competitors for staples like cleaning supplies or some food?

because they sell absolutely no items over $4 is there simply a perception that they are low priced?

do shoppers go there knowing they will not overshop?

there really must be more to it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 October 2020 - 08:26 AM.

#6318 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:41 AM

The economics for a Walmart or London Drugs to place a sub $4 item neatly on a shelf or wall display aren't there. Dollarama and other dollar stores cram as much as they can into each sq ft of floor space to make the numbers work.

#6319 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:45 AM

do shoppers go there knowing they will not overshop?

there really must be more to it.

I think it's a pretty simple formula: Offer the convenience of a convenience store, but with prices associated to a large supermarket (or better!) and a wide selection of goods (albeit at questionable quality). I used to stop in the dollar store on Douglas because I could pick up a chocolate bar and a pop for $2, and maybe get some post-it notes, or a headphone extension cable, or a couple plastic containers...  

Personally, I agree about the idea of not being able to overshop – I used to go to the Daiso Japanese dollar store in Richmond all the time, and it felt that you could find all sorts of interesting little things and necessities and at the till I didn't have to worry that I blew my budget.

#6320 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:18 PM

I like the Dollarama for certain items, mostly household things like dish soap, garbage bags, kitchen utensils etc. And it means my money isn't going to Walmart. It's closer to get to and the parking is better (for the one by Bed, Bath and Beyond).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users