Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#81 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

Hey G-Man,

I should clear something up. I in no way speak for, or in any way make decisions for the retailers on Johnson Street. I just attend these meetings on behalf of the landlord as long as the merchants continue to invite me.
:)

The current contest boundaries might just be a matter of logistics. Organizing even 30 small businesses is a fairly impressive feat. Plus it's being driven by volunteered time and resources. However, the idea of expanding the collaboration was brought up early on, so it might go further after they get some momentum going with the smaller group.

Even if it doesnt, I dont think that necessarily means that there will be competition between blocks, I think that the 600 block will organise itself, and will do some marketting, but I suspect that they will have different priorities when they do, and a different style. The more kinds of people we can attract downtown, the better. If the 500 block pulls the savy fashion hunters out of the malls, and the nerd block brings gamers downtown, while the historic chinatown district draws in the yuppy lifestylers etc etc, in the end it all supports each other.

This is the first promotion being done collectively by the 500 block merchants, with 100% buy in (as far as I know). But it isn't the first of this type downtown. The Historic Chinatown area banded together to create a rack card, and tackle a couple of other neighbourhood issues. A segment of Broad Street has been meeting and so has some of Store Street. Those are just the ones I am aware of. The DVBA provides a certain amount of help to merchants who want to do collective marketing - that is available to any and all within the DVBA boundaries. So no one who wants to take advantage of that help is excluded.

I am convinced that merchants self-organising in a grassroots way like this is going to be a tipping point factor in making our downtown really come alive. I find it really neat.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#82 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

I do however speak for the residents of 900 block fort st. At least until we get someone who doesn't live in my house. :lol:

#83 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

is 900 block fort in the residents association?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

It's not the "Geek Block", it's the "Nerd District". Jeez Louise!

The new Edzo convenience store on Fort has already closed. I estimate there's nearly a 40% vacancy rate on the 800 block Fort.

Where was Edzo? I saw a month or two or four back the little convenience store on south side 700-blk Broughton had closed.

800 blk Fort doesn't look that bad to me. I see some leashold improvements going in to some store spaces in preparation for something.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:58 PM

Yes, it looks like new businesses are being readied, including the old Neptune Foods and the big Antique Mall. Edzo was on the north side between the old computer school (now vacant) and that new deli, Chu Chu Charcuterie.

I'm optimistic, it's just that I don't think I've ever seen such a high number of vacancies on one block.

Oh, and that new restaurant in the former Patisserie Daniel went under too. I think that's the 700 block Fort. That location has had about four different eateries in the last year or so.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#86 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:54 PM

If you've been thinking of venturing forth into the Nerd District, consult this chart to see where you fit in:

http://www.brunching...eekchartbig.gif
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#87 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

Not sure if this is the place for this info but the Rohani Building now has a Staples sign at the top where the Scotia Bank used to.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#88 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

Looks like Staples has installed logos atop the Rohani building downtown. Does Staples have a logo on any other office building in Canada?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#89 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:40 PM

The logos on the top floor?

#90 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

I believe that is the question on the floor.

It has a whole new look!

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, the logos are on the top of the tower where the Scotia logos were installed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

LOJO IT IS!
The naming contest for the 500 block of Johnson Street has closed, finishing in a dead heat! Both "Lower Johnson" and "LoJo" were clear favourites, with no means of distinguishing between the two -- so the block has decided to use both in its advertising. The winner of the naming contest is Kory Klassen of James Bay, who will be enjoying a $1000 shopping spree along Lower Johnson. Congratulations Kory!

#93 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

I'm absolutely floored about that Staples logo thing.

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:14 AM

It lights up at night now.

Know it all.

#95 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

But is Staples open yet?

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:41 PM

^ I don't think so.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#97 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:40 PM

They've drywalled the interior and the lighting is up.

#98 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:39 AM

Ah, here's a pleasant story to go with your breakfast bacon:

[url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/business/story.html?id=e71a318d-f64c-41a6-afa9-962b848188e2:25536]Slaughtering goes mobile[/url:25536]
Abattoir on wheels showcases its services to Metchosin farmers

Lars Jorgensen of Gate to Plate Food Services sets up his mobile slaughterhouse on John Buchanan's farm in Metchosin. Lars Jorgensen of Gate to Plate Food Services sets up his mobile slaughterhouse on John Buchanan's farm in Metchosin.
Photograph by : Ray Smith, Times Colonist

"We've had a 15,000- to 16,000-pound buffalo go through there, no problem."

Oh, sure--no problem for him. One day one of those buffalo is going get wise in that confined space and old Lars is going to be on the recieving end of 16,000 pounds of whup-ass.
:smt095

#99 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:30 AM

One of my early childhood memories is of pacing about in my Grandfather's farm kitchen as the pig was being slaughtered and pickled in brine as meat for the family...

One learns hypocrisy early in life...

Oral history has it that I was pacing around and saying..

"Don't put any of that pig in my bacon tomorrow morning"

#100 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

And now you don't have to have it:

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users