Ida Chong recall campaign

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:57 AM

I see that Chong has started some radio campaign, and basically it says 20 times that the NDP is behind the recall.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:33 AM

I'm sorry, I think it is going way too far to target individual MLA's jobs over the HST.

Sure, many constituents will vote to recall her specifically for the HST, but many people will vote to recall over other non-HST related issues.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

I'm sorry, I think it is going way too far to target individual MLA's jobs over the HST. .

Her constituents were against the HST she voted and spoke out against them, she should be held accountable. Maybe she should have thought about that?

#4 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

Sure, many constituents will vote to recall her specifically for the HST, but many people will vote to recall over other non-HST related issues.

Jordan River Lands perhaps?

#5 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

I think a lot of people will be signing that petition regardless of the HST issue.

#6 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:08 PM

Her constituents were against the HST she voted and spoke out against them, she should be held accountable. Maybe she should have thought about that?

Isn't that what we have elections for?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

^Yes! However, during the last election, if you remember, the Liberals and Ms. Chong campaigned partly on the statement that HST wasn't on the radar. Subsequent revelations have shown that it was, indeed, on the radar - in fact, as we were being lied to, there were ongoing discussions with Ottawa about instituting the HST.
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#8 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:13 AM

Lessons learned from the JSB petition and recent referendum and by-election. It is one thing to register a 'protest vote' by signing to force a recall vote, quite another to actually win an election.

IMHO, for the recall group the choice of OBGH is ill-considered. The only message Ida's team have to place into the local voter mindset is the 'alternative' - which would be Jessica (NDP). If there was a credible center oriented party, or even an independent candidate, the odds would be different.

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:54 PM

^Yes! However, during the last election, if you remember, the Liberals and Ms. Chong campaigned partly on the statement that HST wasn't on the radar. Subsequent revelations have shown that it was, indeed, on the radar - in fact, as we were being lied to, there were ongoing discussions with Ottawa about instituting the HST.

I don't think they campaigned on that at all. It was never brought up as an election issue.

But that is beside the point. There will be another election coming up, probably sooner than we think, (a new leader may want a fresh mandate), why waste time and energy on a recall campaign when it won't materially change anything? To send a message? I think that message has been received loud and clear.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:46 AM

In the election the premier was asked about the HST and plans for it, it is was no on the radar.

Meanwhile, as happened every year, Treasury Board staff prepared briefing notes on the implications of adopting the HST, this does not make it on the radar.

Finally, with Ontario choosing to go with the HST but with an election on in BC, the Federal government would not have come to the BC government with an offer till after the election. I suspect it as a one time take or leave it offer.

You may not like the HST, but there is nothing out there to indicate the Liberals lied about it.

Meanwhile, without the HST the government would have had to cut a lot more services, hardly a way to make yourself popular.

So, should Ida Chong have quit cabinet and voted against the HST knowing this would mean government service cuts, slower growth in BC and ensure more unemployment? Would this have made her more popular?

No MLA can do exactly what the public wants because the public is not a single entity but a series of different competing interests.

Meanwhile, the lands out at Jordan River. If the government had let them go bankrupt, the land would have been sold by the receiver as individual parcels. Not only the small amount that the company had for sale, but all of the private lands they currently hold - keep in mind Timberwest is the largest private land owner on Vancouver Island - that is 322,000 hectares. Should she have said no knowing that there was a strong possibility that company would go under and be broken for the land? Remember, government can not stop them selling the land, all it could do is remove related public land timber harvesting rights and those are not that important to the company.

To recall her over one decision is in my mind unreasonable especially since there is a vote on the issue coming up.

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:36 PM

Vander Zalm brings HST battle to Saanich

By Robert Randall • Published on Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Former Premier Bill Vander Zalm looked more like a crusading Civil War general than a retired politician as he rallied his recall troops this morning in Saanich.

The charismatic leader, who has been instrumental in organizing the resistance to the Liberal government’s Harmonized Sales Tax, launched the recall campaign to bring down Oak Bay/Gordon Head MLA Ida Chong at a media event at noon today that featured sign-waving volunteers at the corner of McKenzie Avenue and Shelbourne Street enticing passers-by to sign the recall petition.

more...

#12 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:29 AM

I see that Chong has started some radio campaign, and basically it says 20 times that the NDP is behind the recall.

I'm no NDP'er, but that is probably one of the most ridiculous ads that CFAX has ever run, and there is a whole list of those!

"Beware....the NDP and Moe Sihota are at the gate! Don't let them in!"

Gimme a break! :rolleyes:

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

The drop in office to sign the recall of Ida Chong is on the southwest corner of Shelbourne and McKenzie. The office is a little hard to find and can't be seen from the street. Enter the large covered parking at street level, or the open air parking on the same level as the recall office on the second floor.

#14 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

Bernard has posted his evaluation on the potential for the recall campaign in Oak Bay/Gordon Head to fail. There are a number of reasons why I disagree with his assessment, not the least of which is the organization and tactics that Bill Vanderzalm, Mike Hayes, Colin Neilson and around 160 volunteers will employ.

As reported in the Times Colonist, the recall campaign will use some the tactics used by JSB .org - which is essentially twofold. Having a set campaign office (Shelbourne and McKenzie), and 'identity' tactics with pinnies, jackets and t-shirts.

They have also translated petition material into several languages and will use 'Get out the Vote' tactics in door knocking, and on the street events.

Where they are seriously failing is on the web - no set riding recall website that can be easily found, and no use of social media.

Having said that, they know the target and have the logistics to get it done. Ida is not popular in the riding, even die-hard BC Libs are wavering.

In the area of Gordon Head where I live, the demographic has changed radically in the last 4 years - and this is where the recall campaign is concentrating. Younger families, disaffected seniors - they will all sign, simply to send a message.

However, like the JSB counter-petition, it is one thing to win a petition campaign, quite another to win a referendum.

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

As a senior living in Ida Chong's riding she did nothing that impressed me when she was responsible for Seniors Issues. In the last election Ida Chong edged out Jessica Van der Veen of the NDP. Since that time the planned sale of Oak Bay Lodge has been fought vigorously by Jessica, while Ida Chong has done little to save those seniors from potentially loosing their home.

This one issue has been enough for me to sign the recall.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:27 PM

As a senior living in Ida Chong's riding she did nothing that impressed me when she was responsible for Seniors Issues. In the last election Ida Chong edged out Jessica Van der Veen of the NDP. Since that time the planned sale of Oak Bay Lodge has been fought vigorously by Jessica, while Ida Chong has none little to save those seniors from potentially loosing their home.

This one issue has been enough for me to sign the recall.

See this is what bothers me about this recall campaign. It is a recall campaign set up solely to recall Ida over her lack of speaking out against the HST, not about her position on other issues.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

See this is what bothers me about this recall campaign. It is a recall campaign set up solely to recall Ida over her lack of speaking out against the HST, not about her position on other issues.

I agree, she sat on the fence with the HST, as she has done with other issues, but I'm more annoyed about the sale of Oak Bay Lodge, and them's the breaks.

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:13 AM

Don't forget that this recall campaign has been in the planning stages for a while now. It is my belief that the choice to attack Ida was a calculated one. High profile riding in the Capital Region, a riding that could be easily canvassed in winter, a MLA that claims every penny for lunch money, and did not speak out against the premier.

I honestly think that the anti HST group's main goal was to make a point and confront the premier, more so than to recall a candidate. Ida Chong really did not perform much different than the other Liberal members of the house.

Since that planning stage however, there has been a lot of political water run under the bridge, both major party leaders have announced their retirement and the political landscape is going to change whether we like it or not. The boogie man and woman have left the building already.

Perhaps the recall campaign organizers are just past the point of no return. Too many vests, pencils, and clipboards were purchased, too many volunteers at the ready with nothing else to do this Christmas.

The HST is still here, but I don't think it was Ida Chong's idea in the first place, and I don't think that removing her will change that.

#19 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:41 AM

IMHO, for the recall group the choice of OBGH is ill-considered. The only message Ida's team have to place into the local voter mindset is the 'alternative' - which would be Jessica (NDP). If there was a credible center oriented party, or even an independent candidate, the odds would be different.

I don't quite understand this comment. You realize that Jessica almost beat Ida in the last election? Ida's margin was only 561 votes.

(Full disclosure: Jessica van der Veen is a close personal friend)

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

I'd say that many people will not sign now, not knowing who the leader of each party is going to be for a while.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users