Closed, defunct, old restaurants you knew and loved

• Please log in to reply
854 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

I miss the old downtown (lower Yates, now The Reef) Pizza Hut, it was such a dive and quite frankly always empty, but I like their pizza. Best was all-you-can-eat nights. Waitress would come around with full pizzas, and offer slices. Also they had those crazy timers thy'd place on your table upon completeion of your order, and if it took more than X amount of time, you giot it free. I think this was just for Express Lunch business on personal pizas. BTW, something about all you can eat that makes people throw food around - sick but fun. Speaking of that, Pizza Hut used to have pretty cheap beer... at some point they decided to be more "family-friendly" by jacking up the price by at least 50% to discourage its over-consumption. I used to go to the former Shelbourne St. location a lot during University years. Indeed, I have three former girlfriends that worked there (back when I was young and cool).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:30 PM

So you're half right, aastra.

I resent that. I was at least two-thirds right.

All I remember was, it was quite a shabby building on the outside. So shabby that when we were leaving we were goofing around and accidentally broke the door handle. It was a wooden door like the entrance to an old pub or something. I think the handle was probably already broken.

Funny, I made a similar "further down the block" mistake with the pic of that 4-story heritage building on Fort Street.

#43 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

Foody Goody on Government and Courtney.

Dear god, that brought back a long-repressed memory from my university days! Um... shudder. Ate there once.

#44 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

I ate there a few times. It was far better when it was Royal Star Buffet.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#45 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:28 PM

Aastra, I think it's because you were at least a foot or two shorter in height back then your sense of scale and proportion were off. O.K., two-thirds right.

BTW, today 721 Johnson is a blank facade to the right of the watch repair shop in the little shabby [1990s?] modernist building to the left of the Our Place shelter. Tearing it down and starting fresh would be an improvement.

Jeez, between fighting with Scaper and tearing handles off restaurant doors you sure left your mark on this neighbourhood.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#46 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:03 AM

I think the place out West Saanich Road was called the Cock-Pheasant.
I remeber the Longhorn Restaurant on Shelbourne at Feltham well. I washed dishes there, but do not remember any candles on the tables.

Do any of you remember a place near Fort and Douglas called "Ask Harry's" or something like that. As I recall you selected and cooked your own meat.

Regards,
Tom

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:13 AM

Cock-Pheasant! Exactly!

Now let's think about the one in Mayfair Parking lot.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:21 AM

^It was freestanding in near the southwest corner of Mayfair? I'm blanking.

I recall Woodward's food floor as once being the classiest, biggest supermarket around although by today's standards I bet it would appear rather lame.

The "cook your own meat" concept is completely unknown to me. It must have opened and closed when I was away on vacation or something.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:26 AM

Didn't Fuddruckers do something like that?

It has a whole new look!

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:51 AM

Not really. Like I mentioned earlier they had the sides of beef hanging in the window and they did cook your burger to order (medium rare? No problem!) but you didn't cook it yourself.

I like the cook it yourself concept, though. That's a winner. I've been thinking of opening a "dry-clean it yourself" drycleaners or maybe a "cut-it-yourself" hair salon.

#51 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:03 PM

Here's one: Holyrood House which was a large, rather severe old building on the SE corner of Bay and Blanshard where the Island Farms extension is today. It was a Scottish banquet hall. Next to it in the strip mall was Victoria's first Burger King franchise.

#52 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:08 PM

For the life of me I can't remember a restaurant in the parking area of Mafair. I worked there after School and on Saturdays while in Junior High School. I worked in the Parcel Pickup area where customers drove through to collect their food floor purchases. Our group also collected shopping carts from the entire lot, and the surrounding area.

I do remember Jack Lee's Chinese Village and the second Pauls nearby. I don't think Denny's was there though.

We used to go out to Colwood to Bob's Burgers whenever we got the chance. I think Bob's became a Chinese Restaurant, and may be gone now.

I also remember a Mexican cafe called El Rancho on Bay Street near The Jubilee Hospital.

#53 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:10 PM

The same family that ran El Rancho opened a Mexican Restauant on West Saanich Road at Prospect Lake. It is still there I believe.

It has a whole new look!

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:26 PM

. Next to it in the strip mall was Victoria's first Burger King franchise.

Ah, yes.

Both in-town Burger King locations were cursed by being in strip malls where parking & entry/exit options were severely limiting. The other was at Gateway Village where the sushi place is now. I'm thinking with the amount of business the drive-thru portion did, the drive easability in and out was important.

I'm sticking with my story about the restaurant in the Mayfair lot, I'm sure it was there. It was definately high-end.

#55 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:41 PM

Do any of you remember which restaurant had the first drive through?

It was probably one of the early McDonalds.

Also Coffee Mac's - "Where The Elite Meet to Eat"

Tom

#56 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:08 PM

I don't remember but I'm going to guess the Colwood McDonald's had the first drive-through.

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:23 PM

What was formerly at the A&W location at Shelbourne Plaza? I seem to think it was Mr. Freeze or something. Also there was an Arby's by the Canadian Tire on Shelbourne.

Coffee Mac's. Good times. Yes, I remember the second Paul's... it was called Paul's Crown House.

#58 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:31 PM

Did there used to be a place called Brownies somewhere along Douglas? Somehow I remember there was a Brownies downtown, but then again I also remember it being across from Mayfair.

#59 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:04 PM

There was nothing where the A & W is in the Shelbourne Plaza. There was however, a Tasty(sp?) Freeze at the southern end of the Plaza.
It was buit by my Pals Dad, who also built a Tasty Freeze in the strip mall near the Tillicum Outdoor Theatre.

Your mention of Shelbourne Plaza reminded me of Sea to You Fish & Chips. It was located east of the Tasty Freeze in the strip mall. Owned and operated by "Froggy" Watson, who moved his Family to New Zealand, and opened a Sea To You Fish & Chips there.

Tom

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:21 PM

What ever happened to Muffin Break? Are they all gone now?

There was one on Shelbourne across from the plaza, one at Fort/Foul Bay (now a McDonald's?) one at Tillicum and Burnside, and I'm sure a few more.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users