Closed, defunct, old restaurants you knew and loved

• Please log in to reply
854 replies to this topic

#701 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:10 PM

^ Ya I spelled his name wrong I guess. He also owned the Red Lion at one time with Eli Katz. I wish I could remember what he named his restaurant at Town and Country but I'm drawing a blank.

#702 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:40 AM

Does anyone remember the Mai Tai restaurant in Maple Bay?  Long drive but it was worth it. Had my first serious date there when I was 17 or 18....

• Daveyboy likes this

#703 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:41 PM

The White Spot was at the north end of the Town and Country Shopping Centre. It had car hop service as well as a sit down restaurant. The cruise started here and looped back at Fort Street with loops through Paul's and the A and Dub.

The WS had two driving lanes creating 4 rows of parking. Backing in to the most northerly row was the place to be especially if you had a cool car. You were shunned if you parked your mother's Vauxhall in the back row.

Claire Anderson of Coffee House fame remodelled and changed the format after the WS closed.

Yeah, that was it. I clearly remember going there and getting car hop service but nobody else remembered it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#704 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:46 AM

Does anyone remember the Mai Tai restaurant in Maple Bay?  Long drive but it was worth it. Had my first serious date there when I was 17 or 18....

Ya nice restaurant on the edge of a cliff. Too bad it burnt down.

I sold a houseboat to a waitress that worked there. She had a guy tow it up behind a sailboat from the Gorge. The houseboat is still moored at the marina.

The restaurant and the waitress however, are long gone.

#705 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:52 AM

Does anyone remember the Red Lobster we had? Anyone? 😆
  • Matt R. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#706 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

^ I think we have been pounding away at that a few posts back and the consensus was that the closest that we have come in the past was a Sea Galley.

No Red Lobsters have been spotted in the vicinity.
  • Nparker likes this

#707 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:12 AM

The White Spot was at the north end of the Town and Country Shopping Centre. It had car hop service as well as a sit down restaurant. The cruise started here and looped back at Fort Street with loops through Paul's and the A and Dub.

The WS had two driving lanes creating 4 rows of parking. Backing in to the most northerly row was the place to be especially if you had a cool car. You were shunned if you parked your mother's Vauxhall in the back row.

Claire Anderson of Coffee House fame remodelled and changed the format after the WS closed.

That was the A and Dub on Oak Bay Ave where the Red Barn Market is now. We also used to drop into the Beacon Drive-In for 35 cent hamburgers that tasted like cardboard but were spruced up with some sort of sauce. The main part of the cruise was down Yates to Douglas, to Pandora up to Quadra and back down Yates. You could put put 50 miles on in an evening and never go out of town. Another hamburger joint was at the corner of Quadra and Union and was shaped like an igloo. The name escapes me. It was an aluminum roof and it was lifted off by a helicopter and I think it went to Saltspring and became a residence. At one time Pauls Crown House (late 50's ?) at the corner of Finlayson and Douglas was at the north end of the city, before the days of Mayfair. Turner's Coffee Stop was still around, as was Ranson's just across the street on Fort near Bank Street.

Yikes! I was driving my mother's Austin A40 at the time shown here.It had a really low low gear that would allow everyone to get out of the car and run around it a few times while it jerked along the Esplanade at Willows. I don't think the Vauxhalls could perform this feat. It had some cool signal arms that popped out of the post behind the front doors, that used to get stuck in the up position. I can still smell the leather upholstery.

It also had those springy curb alarms, visible just behind the front wheel...which didn't seem to help mother when she parked the front wheel on TOP of the curb this time.

20180709_104652.jpg  

#708 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

^ I think we have been pounding away at that a few posts back and the consensus was that the closest that we have come in the past was a Sea Galley.

No Red Lobsters have been spotted in the vicinity.

My post was meant in the utmost sarcasm for Mr. Randall

Edited by sdwright.vic, 09 July 2018 - 11:15 AM.

• Rob Randall likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#709 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

Quadra and Union was called the Brite Spot.
  • Nparker and Bingo like this

#710 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:44 AM

Does anyone remember the name of the mexican food restaurant on Cedar Hill X road where the Purple Garden restaurant is now?

#711 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,755 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:17 PM

Quadra and Union was called the Brite Spot.

Possibly the region's only hemispherical drive-in?

brite.jpg

• Kikadee likes this

#712 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

The fire hydrant is still there.

#713 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:16 PM

The Brite Spot was owned by the Searle Family. Their son Ken operated Searle's Automotive on Kelvin Street before he retired and sold to Chris. 

#714 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

^ I would have liked to have tried that homemade blackberry pie being advertised in the photo!

#715 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:54 AM

^^

The blackberry/boysenberry combo with ice cream was unbelievable!!

#716 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:00 AM

^ I would have liked to have tried that homemade blackberry pie being advertised in the photo!

I don't think "homemade" would pass Foodsafe in today's world.

#717 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:22 AM

^I like that when you go to restaurants the food is advertised as "home style" and in supermarkets the food is labeled "Restaurant Style".

• Mike K., Nparker, qwerty and 4 others like this

#718 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:31 PM

Does anyone remember the name of the mexican food restaurant on Cedar Hill X road where the Purple Garden restaurant is now?

I don't recall anything but Chinese there. Any hints as to what years?

#719 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:46 PM

Either Italian or Mexican--when I was there a few years ago they still had a mural on the wall. 

#720 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:45 PM

Either Italian or Mexican--when I was there a few years ago they still had a mural on the wall. 

I was never in there but I remember the large sign advertising the buffet.

Fifteen 50's across the street used to be a good, but haven't been in there for five or so years.

Fig Deli just up the road has become a popular lunch spot with a small eat in area, but it's mostly take-out and is far from defunct.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users