Garrick's Head | Victoria | Bastion Square

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#241 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

And before anyone accuses me of being a grumpy old man I've seen some of the loudest acts in music-dom including Grand Funk Railroad, the Who and the original lineup of Deep Purple...

You sound like a grumpy old man.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan and Bob Fugger like this

#242 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:56 PM

Yes I didn't realize there was actually a 'front' and 'rear' section until later when i got up to use the washroom. Assuming that smaller space was quieter and less "death metal thrash" music-oriented (WTF was_that s*** they were spinning up after 9pm anyway?!), I'd definitely go again. The place was full and as I said we enjoyed our food and the prices were not ruinous.

And before anyone accuses me of being a grumpy old man I've seen some of the loudest acts in music-dom including Grand Funk Railroad, the Who and the original lineup of Deep Purple. I simply don't see a need to be blasted out of my seat in a "pub" of all places while munching on my Bam Bam Shrimp and attempting to converse about whatever the topic du jour happens to be. If you're sitting < than 24 inches away from me IMO I should not have to shout at the top of my lungs at you to make my point or respond to yours.....

Garricks Head has a jukebox you can take over, and play all your own favs all night long.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#243 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:59 PM

“Give Head with Hedley” night is this Thursday, isn’t it?

Matt.
  • Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#244 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

“Give Head with Hedley” night is this Thursday, isn’t it?

Matt.

Wednesday.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#245 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:06 PM

Oh yah Thursday is “Fat Tugs with Hedley” - four hours straight of Hedley’s greatest hit.

Matt.
  • Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#246 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:48 AM

The could install done sound buffers in the ceiling. Otherwise there are way to many flat surfaces that amplify the noise
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#247 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

I find the room overly loud too, and I'm in my mid-30s.

#248 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

We had dinner in a Mexican restaurant the other night and there was no music playing but the place was jam packed with loud people and we couldn't carry on a conversation. The time before that we were out on the patio and it was much quieter. The acoustics of the room can play havoc with noise levels. 

• sdwright.vic likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#249 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:46 AM

^Cafe Mexico? Was there this Saturday and found the same thing. Way to many flat surfaces.

#250 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:34 PM

I find the room overly loud too, and I'm in my mid-30s.

Careful according to Matt that'll qualify you for "grumpy old man" status. Didn't you know its a "thing" these days - a badge of honor apparently - to withstand an audio wall of noise assault of epic proportions while attempting unsuccessfully to enjoy a meal you likely paid very good money for. 

• VicHockeyFan and vortoozo like this

#251 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

Well if you were that old of a grumpy old man you could just take your hearing aids out.

• Matt R. likes this

#252 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:56 AM

The noise issue was around from day one of the reno: https://vibrantvicto...-square/page-10

I guess I am used to it by now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#253 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:06 AM

Not used to it because I stopped going. Not that it will affect there bottom line though. But I know several others that won't go there anymore either.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#254 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

The back can sometimes be a bit quieter but it's not great.  I personally hate really loud environments,  I'm going out with friends to socialize, I'd like to be able to hear everyone at the table.  Other people love very loud pubs, as shown by the place being quite busy most of the time.

The bathrooms could really use a reno and seem too small as well.

• sdwright.vic likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#255 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

The back can sometimes be a bit quieter but it's not great.  I personally hate really loud environments,  I'm going out with friends to socialize, I'd like to be able to hear everyone at the table.  Other people love very loud pubs, as shown by the place being quite busy most of the time.

The best place to go out to socialize with friends over dinner and drinks is Black Angus. Those high backed booths make every group a private party.

#256 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

^ Google and I have no idea where the Black Angus is.

I find Garrick's louder than I'd like when it's busy, but there are so few casual larger pubs with good beer selection around town that people likely just put up with it. 

#257 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

^They are not in Victoria, used to be one in Richmond, don't know if it is still there or not. All through the states and Ontario.

#258 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

^They are not in Victoria, used to be one in Richmond, don't know if it is still there or not. All through the states and Ontario.

Definitely not one in Richmond anymore

#259 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:34 PM

^I went to one the other night, when we walked in I thought the place was empty and it is only as you walk through the place you realize that it is chock a block full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users