• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

just stumbled upon this, have a read..........
http://dinehere.ca/v...ks-head-pub-the

Any word on the sale of the building?

#22 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

Any word on the sale of the building?

Building is not for sale, believe it was just a thing to peak intrest and see what the market is like. As far as i know, the owner has no real intention of selling the building. I work with him on a weekly basis.

Mik, thanks for the words. Under the craft beer specifications, sleeman is still craft. you could then say that shaftebury, O.K spring, and Unibrou are also not craft anymore, being owned by Sapporo.
glas that others feel the way i do about local craft beer. very hard to find places that arent pouring labbat or molson these days. there reps havent even come to see me in years. i have been at Garricks Head since sept. 1999.

#23 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:36 PM

Under the craft beer specifications, sleeman is still craft. you could then say that shaftebury, O.K spring, and Unibrou are also not craft anymore, being owned by Sapporo.

I'm not sure that I'm following your logic. Didn't Sapporo buy Sleeman's a few years back? So, wouldn't that make them mainstream vs. craft?

#24 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

i believe that the seperate companies are still that, there own companies. they are just owned by Sapporo.
it is determined by how many hecktalitres they sell i think on how they are determined craft or not.
if they sell less than a certain amount they are still in the craft market. sleeman, OK spring, Shaftebury, and Unibrou are still under that amount.

Mik, i did a bit of reserch.LOL
we were the very 1st Phillips acount, there was a short time, few months that we didnt carry any of there beer a long time ago. so yes you are the longest standing acount. we are one of the biggest accounts with them now. I sell way more of there beer than anything else by lots.

As you know, it is a great partnership to be in. Matt and the guys are very good for the local beer industry.

#25 mik

mik
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

The Craft Brewers Association of BC uses 100,000 hecs as the cut off point for craft beer production. Sleemans now produces 1.5 mil. hecs per year. just sayin'...

My main point is that we are lucky to have so many artisans making such great beer right here on the Island and I really admire the commitment that Garrick's Head has made to support and promote these producers. It is why I recommend it to any craft beer lover (as I did today while serving lunch to a couple who were drinking Beacon and Fat Tug). As I said in my previous post, well done!!

The other part of my dream is to someday match GH's volume in local draft sales!:)

#26 Sanjeet

Sanjeet
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

Had terrible service last night. Some girl in a red shirt was just awful. We ordered 2 beers and it took 40 minutes before we got both. We ordered one and then she went and put the order in. Took someone elses order in the process brought them their beers and finally brought one of the 2 beers we had ordered out. She told us that the grapefruit ale had run dry but they had some more in back so we waited. And waited some more. She stood there helping everyone else. Only to come back and say they didnt have more. Finally ordered another beer and it eventually arrived. We drank as fast as possible paid and left. She was very rude and also FREAKING SLOW. The place wasnt even full. Only half of the tables had customers

#27 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

sorry for your experiance, i will look into it. I was away in mexico at the time!
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

The TC today says Garrick's Head has applied to amend its liquor licence to accommodate 168 patrons, up from the current 80.

That's the move into Breeze.

I wonder what council will do here. 7 years ago they said "no more liquor-primary seats". But that was then. Since then they approved Moon Under Water, allowed a change to liquor-primary at the Events Centre, and gave themselves expanded licensing at the Royal.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Its just a waiting game right now, dont forget to add Bard and Banker to your list, as well as Darcy's increased there seats as well.
I'm just hoping it all goes well and we can open the new side come late summer.
I will have to hire a bunch of front of the house staff as well as kitchen staff, i mostly sell local brews, so all is helping the local economy as well.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

Its just a waiting game right now, dont forget to add Bard and Banker to your list, as well as Darcy's increased there seats as well.
I will have to hire a bunch of front of the house staff as well as kitchen staff, i mostly sell local brews, so all is helping the local economy as well.

B & B used an existing liquor license I think. From Merlin's? I did not know about an increase at Darcy's. Was that all external seating?

Four years ago I was working with a business that simply wanted to shift its operating hours forward one hour each day. From 11am-1am to 12noon to 2am. No increase in hours, no increase in capacity. Council turned it down. Again, that was then.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

OSJ - or anyone else, for that matter: may I ask, how is it that downtown establishments (both liquor primary and food primary) are not required to provide off-street parking to their patrons? If you look at a neighbourhood pub or restaurant, liquor licence seating is based on the number of parking spots that you can provide. Don't get me started on the illogic of this metric...:mad:

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

OSJ - or anyone else, for that matter: may I ask, how is it that downtown establishments (both liquor primary and food primary) are not required to provide off-street parking to their patrons? If you look at a neighbourhood pub or restaurant, liquor licence seating is based on the number of parking spots that you can provide. Don't get me started on the illogic of this metric...:mad:

That's a Victoria city regulation though, isn't it? Liquor authorities do not care about parking. So the city might have different rules/ratios for downtown.

#33 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

That's a Victoria city regulation though, isn't it? Liquor authorities do not care about parking. So the city might have different rules/ratios for downtown.

It is - it's a bit of a convoluted bureaucratic relationship between city and LDB. LDB grants the liquor licence, provided it meets its and whatever rules it has delegated to municipal governments.

How parking is tied to seating is mind bottling.

#34 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

its kind of funny in the end that to sell more beer you have to have extra parking? you would think that the less people driving to the pubs the better.

#35 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

How parking is tied to seating is mind bottling.

I like this :)

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

its kind of funny in the end that to sell more beer you have to have extra parking? you would think that the less people driving to the pubs the better.

I think it's just easy for the muni to say, "hey, you have 122 seats, so we know the demand on area parking will be xxx". Harder to do that with other types of business. So you provide some nice low-hanging fruit for their regulations, taxes, fees.

#37 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

What's funny is they are only wanting to expand back to their original footprint.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#38 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

Now, if Government Street were pedestrian only for most of the day, can you just imagine if seating for the pubs and restaurants could spill out a bit more? What a lively plaza that would be...Government Street/Bastion Square.

#39 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

A little update on everything, the 30 days the neighbours had to make a comment is now up, now a report goes to council.
we got all of our building permits from the city on wed. just waiting on the liquor license expansion news now. The space is pretty big and the final product will be a great addition to the city. we plan to expand our kitchen and there will be a new 30 foot bar in the new space with the addition of 20 new beer lines. Just hope everything goes as planned. this is the first time i have taken on a job this big.
would love to hear from everybody what they think would make great addition to make Garrick's Head a better spot as we move forward.
thanks
Jay.

#40 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Rooftop patio! Someone was trying out the idea just today, I heard......

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users