Garrick's Head | Victoria | Bastion Square

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#41 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

^^ Free beer for VV members would be a nice touch. :)

#42 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

I've always liked the Garricks Head as a down-to-earth alternative to the B&B and IT, or even the Sticky Wicket. I hope the reno keeps that vibe.

#43 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

^Totally agree. It's the most authentic pub in the core i would say.

#44 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

I've always liked the Garricks Head as a down-to-earth alternative to the B&B and IT, or even the Sticky Wicket. I hope the reno keeps that vibe.

This.

^Totally agree. It's the most authentic pub in the core i would say.

This.

^^ Free beer for VV members would be a nice touch. :)

And especially THAT! :D

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

I need someone to try out this idea of mine. You are my best hope.

Don't put art on the walls, put up a bunch of 40 or 50-inch TVs.

But have them each display very cool images on a slide show, that only turns them every 15 minutes per picture at most. So every time you go, you see different "art" on the walls. It doesn't change quick enough to be distracting, but each does change enough to keep visitors captivated.

That's WAY more interesting than a bunch of TVs showing TSN poker tournaments during the day. You can always use them as TVs when necessary, or when a guest in a certain section requests their event.

BTW, you must get a lot of US visitors asking for NCAA stuff, I know how frustrating it is to have to tell them that our government forbids us from watching US TV much.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Don't put art on the walls, put up a bunch of 40 or 50-inch TVs. But have them each display very cool images on a slide show, that only turns them every 15 minutes per picture at most. So every time you go, you see different "art" on the walls. It doesn't change quick enough to be distracting, but each does change enough to keep visitors captivated.

I like it! :D

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

I like it! :D

A nice piece of art costs a few hundred bucks, so does a 40" TV, and is WAY more versatile. And the internet provide you with enough really amazing picture content to keep it running with no repeats for eternity.

Also, OSJ, I'd like to request comedy in the bathrooms. Just hook up an ipod type device with constant AC power supply, and an amp, some flush-mount speakers in the ceiling, and loop it with some stand-up comedy audio. Cost is maybe $200. Everyone likes a joke while they are taking a pee. Seriously. And you are a 19+ place, you can use any comedian really. And then when people come back from the washrooms, I guarantee you that's the first bit of conversation upon their return to their table of friends. Guaranteed. And the best catch-line is "I just heard something funny in the bathroom".
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

I need someone to try out this idea of mine. You are my best hope.

Don't put art on the walls, put up a bunch of 40 or 50-inch TVs.

But have them each display very cool images on a slide show, that only turns them every 15 minutes per picture at most. So every time you go, you see different "art" on the walls. It doesn't change quick enough to be distracting, but each does change enough to keep visitors captivated.

That's WAY more interesting than a bunch of TVs showing TSN poker tournaments during the day. You can always use them as TVs when necessary, or when a guest in a certain section requests their event.

BTW, you must get a lot of US visitors asking for NCAA stuff, I know how frustrating it is to have to tell them that our government forbids us from watching US TV much.

Naw I saw keep the TVs to a minimum and please don't replace them as art pieces! The real deal is way more interesting and better for the community.

Local artists and patrons prefer local art for the most part - and original art. You televise art you're likely ending up with the Ikea art you see at a retail outlet at the mall. Otherwise you'd have to find someone to digitize art for you..another cost right there.
Installing all those TVs would cost a lot more that just the tvs. I would guess you'd have to double the cost of the TVs when you add wiring for the video and sound. (Maybe I'm way off on that calculation.)
And speaking of cost: original art would cost you less than nothing. Yes, you could make money on the art.
The artist installs it, agrees to pay a percentage of sales to the pub - sorted. The pub gets cudos for supporting the local arts community and receives a little financial incentive as well. Everyone wins.

Art makes a space look waaayyy better IMO. A TV's just a boring TV, regardless of what it's displaying.

#49 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

Installing all those TVs would cost a lot more that just the tvs. I would guess you'd have to double the cost of the TVs when you add wiring for the video and sound. (Maybe I'm way off on that calculation.)

If you're JUST using the TVs for art then you can just plug in a USB stick (or even a lot of TV's have on-board memory now) with the pictures loaded. So it's just the cost of the TV and the mounting.
Using them optionally for programming would then require video/sound wiring as well.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

A little update on everything, the 30 days the neighbours had to make a comment is now up, now a report goes to council.
we got all of our building permits from the city on wed. just waiting on the liquor license expansion news now. The space is pretty big and the final product will be a great addition to the city. we plan to expand our kitchen and there will be a new 30 foot bar in the new space with the addition of 20 new beer lines. Just hope everything goes as planned. this is the first time i have taken on a job this big.
would love to hear from everybody what they think would make great addition to make Garrick's Head a better spot as we move forward.
thanks
Jay.

Just to bring everyone up to speed without having to scroll down this thread, OSJ is referring to Garrick's Head expanding into the former Breeze clothing store space on Government. The pub will now extend from Langley through to Government.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Is there a possibility to get an outdoor patio? I think this town needs more of that, especially downtown.

#52 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Is there a possibility to get an outdoor patio? I think this town needs more of that, especially downtown.

There is a patio. Albeit a small one.

#53 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Sorry, we are not expanding the patio. Didn't want to ask for too much, and have it affect the decision to expand my liquor license.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

#55 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

i'll try and snap some more pics today for you guys.

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

Looking forward to them, OSJ.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#57 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

quick shot of the beer trunk lines. will carry beer from the cooler to my 44 taps!

its getting there,

paint should start next week, then flooring, then finishing stuff.

#58 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

here's what the space looked like when i first got it.......

#59 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

here's a quick shot of the 44 beer taps being installed last night and today. Thanks to Shelly and Greg of Draught Wise.

#60 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

more of an update,
walls and ceiling will be ready for primer on friday, my behind the bar rubber floor went down last week, the bar top is being done as we speak( looks awsome)
the reclaimed 1 3/4 inch fir flooring will be here next week to climatize and be put down the next week. Will look pretty far along next week.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users