Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#7121 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

During construction this was the case as the old bridge was down to one lane westbound, but since the new bridge has opened it's back to two through lanes.

You can see the layout at 2m05s of this video.

Gotcha. I haven't been in Victoria since the new bridge opened. Thanks!

#7122 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

My million dollar water views are increasing nicely...   :thumbsup:

Shot earlier today, it's now pouring rain in Vic West.  Also, note in the second pic how they separate out the rebar from the concrete rubble.

28152453788_256c06533b_k.jpg

28152454558_1f190fc1a1_k.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 10 May 2018 - 01:30 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#7123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,701 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:23 PM

Oh right, sorry forgot the configuration. Can't say I care that much though. Urban cities are always congested for cars. It's just a fact that very few vehicles can make it through light cycles, and then that gets compounded by other pressures such as high ped/bike volumes, parking, deliveries etc. The free flowing downtown driving utopia does not exist.

It’s not the volume of traffic (which has actually decreased over the years) but the way which traffic flow is handled.

There is no other city in North America with a population between 300-400k that has the level of traffic congestion we do.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7124 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:39 AM

That last sentence is interesting.

The most promising thing about the McKenzie interchange is going to be its ability to move inbound cars faster onto McKenzie and Admirals. We will see how that plays out.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 May 2018 - 04:42 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7125 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:05 AM

Interesting?  I think you mean not measurable.  However the best thing about concentrated congestion (which is what happens when there are 2 roads into town for 100K people and water on 3 sides, is eventually people have to get on board with real solutions.  The real eye opener for the McKenzie Interchange will be how the Westshore itself is able to handle all that afternoon traffic that will no longer be phased in.  Me thinks not so good.

#7126 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:14 AM

What they need to do is build another connector from HWY 1 to the Pat Bay HWY somewhere around Langford
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7127 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:15 AM

Oh I agree the 2 roads are a problem. That’s why we need to use the abundant room we already have on the TCH and widen it. Or go whole hog on a new road from the Colwood TCH interchange to the Pat Bay.
  • sdwright.vic likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7128 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:17 AM

:badpc:

#7129 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:20 AM

^ My solution WILL work but not everyone likes it.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 May 2018 - 06:21 AM.

#7130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,701 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:24 AM

Considering traffic flows have decreased according to the CRD’s counts, and considering the roads have become significantly more congested since 2014, the effects of efforts to congest traffic are measurable. How can a decrease in traffic volumes increase congestion?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7131 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:29 AM

^ My solution WILL work but not everyone likes it.

I believe, if you look at the order if the postings, it was my suggestion first! 🙃

#7132 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:36 AM

I started my reply before I saw yours. Mine is lengthier by nearly 40% so took longer to type. So I believe mine might have indeed been first.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 May 2018 - 06:36 AM.

#7133 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:40 AM

Interesting? I think you mean not measurable. .

We are willing to consider other candidate cities in North America that might also qualify.

But it’s like my saying please name any other city in North America that is better for homeless. Every time I ask for examples there are none.
  • nagel likes this

#7134 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:50 AM

I started my reply before I saw yours. Mine is lengthier by nearly 40% so took longer to type. So I believe mine might have indeed been first.

Ehhh... I have seen you type.
  • Mike K. likes this

#7135 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:59 AM

The response I once received from the City in regards to assisting vehicles with any sort of right-hand turn lighting is that it's not in the best interest of pedestrians, and therefore not a priority.

Which is why I needlessly burn gas every morning turning onto Quadra. Nary a cyclist or pedestrian in sight and I'm idling away, waiting for that oh so generous 6 second window to turn.

They rally need to make turning right on red permissible when the cross traffic has green. The pedestrians and cyclists crossing Quadra/Blanshard/Douglas/Wharf all have don't go signs up. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7136 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

Which is why I needlessly burn gas every morning turning onto Quadra. Nary a cyclist or pedestrian in sight and I'm idling away, waiting for that oh so generous 6 second window to turn.

They rally need to make turning right on red permissible when the cross traffic has green. The pedestrians and cyclists crossing Quadra/Blanshard/Douglas/Wharf all have don't go signs up. 

We discussed.  While many people including yourself could handle this sort of arrangement, there are too many idiots on the road who would take the right green signal as license to forgo who has right of way, or even look left at through-Quadra traffic.  I don't have the TAC manual that would cover this but I would be shocked if it was allowed.

#7137 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,369 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

Just remove the no right turn on red restriction instead so its the same as most intersections in BC?

#7138 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

Just remove the no right turn on red restriction instead so its the same as most intersections in BC?

Not a good idea for bike safety as it removes the separation by time, between vehicles and bikes.  Without separation by time, it's not really a protected bike lane at all because there would be no protection in the intersection.  It's also very difficult for even an able bodied driver to watch for both pedestrians and cyclists coming at and behind them at the same time when negotiating a right turn.

I would rather the length of the phases be tweaked, like they did at Blanshard.

#7139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,701 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

Taken during the late morning rush hour in each respective city.

One of these is not like the others, and the others are larger, more central/regional cities than is the CRD.

Congestion-in-Victoria.jpg

• RFS likes this

Know it all.

#7140 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:42 AM

We discussed.  While many people including yourself could handle this sort of arrangement, there are too many idiots on the road who would take the right green signal as license to forgo who has right of way, or even look left at through-Quadra traffic.  I don't have the TAC manual that would cover this but I would be shocked if it was allowed.

So then use a flashing red light.  Everyone knows what that is.

Steady red when Pandora, the bike lane and pedestrians have green, flashing red when Quadra has the green.  Simple, safe, effective. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users