Police Amalgamation

• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#401 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

The bill for last week’s Defend Our Coast protest is in: $32,000.
That’s how much the Victoria Police Department spent on the protest against the proposed Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline

VicPD has been advocating for a single police force covering all 13 municipalities in the Capital Region. The integrated force was a cornerstone of the department’s most recent strategic plan.

I'm left wondering, what do they suppose would have happened differently if they had simply sent an undercover officer (with cell phone, of course) to observe?

VicPD: pipeline protest shows the need for an integrated force | Metro

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#402 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

We can criticize the police for this cost but by the same token what if they didn't have a formidable and visible presence? What if they were nowhere to be found while an altercation took place? Where large crowds gather there is always an opportunity for violence, destruction, and anti-social behaviour that could lead to injuries, or worse.

I highly, highly doubt the police want to waste their resources monitoring a large crowd of protesters but if something were to happen and they were nowhere to be found the consequences could be far worse than a $32,000 bill.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#403 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

When West Shore RCMP saw weekend news reports of a suspected boat burglar wanted by Victoria police, they realized they already had the man in custody in connection with a similar crime.

The story of the boat bandit began early Sunday, when Larry Olsen discovered footage from his personal security camera of a man breaking into his boat on the Gorge Waterway in Esquimalt.

http://www.timescolo...custody-1.60113

See, this is why we need better communication or amalgamation.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#404 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

http://www.timescolo...custody-1.60113

See, this is why we need better communication or amalgamation.

I'm not sure this is a good example of why we need to amalgamate the police forces. They already share information via PRIME, CPIC and likely other databases and they'd still be checking that regardless if they were amalgamated or not.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#405 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

I'm not sure this is a good example of why we need to amalgamate the police forces. They already share information via PRIME, CPIC and likely other databases.

Right, amalgamation doesn't mean you have a better arrangement with up island forces, or those on the mainland. Crooks cross the Malahat just as easy as moving from Saanich to Victoria.

#406 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

We can't possibly suggest that a single force is unjustified because crooks may travel to the Mainland and the Cowichan Valley.

Where the problem lies is when a someone robs a house in Oak Bay, then makes his way to Langford less than 20KM away, he is three police forces removed from where he committed the crime (OB PD, VICPD, SAANPD, WSRCMP). That's ridiculous.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

Oak Bay Police released a statement today:

Also on Monday, police investigated two reported attempted thefts from vehicles in the vicinity of the Rec Centre. Both vehicles had been unlocked and were entered and rifled through. Nothing appears to have been taken.

:whyme:

Meanwhile last night I found myself having to call 911 as a security guard from a downtown store tackled someone to the ground and was unable to place a call to police. I'm not certain of this, but it almost looked as though the guard had been attacked and was acting in self defense. Luckily it didn't take too long for the police to arrive.

Know it all.

#408 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

Also on Monday, police investigated two reported attempted thefts from vehicles in the vicinity of the Rec Centre. Both vehicles had been unlocked and were entered and rifled through. Nothing appears to have been taken.

Is that even a crime? What if I enter the car through one unlocked door, pass through, and exit via the unlocked opposite door, and use the defence I was just taking a short-cut through the rain? :judge:

What if I sit on a motorcycle that's parked, but don't disturb it otherwise? Crime?

What if, without the owners permission, I move a tricycle that's blocking a sidewalk, so I leave it 2.5M from where I found it. Theft?

I'm sure these have all come up in Oak Bay, I wonder how they proceeded...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#409 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Meanwhile in Custer, South Dakota, police had a dangerous situation on their hands but it wasn't long before calm was restored. I wonder if these folks were from Oak Bay?

10:10pm Suspicious people were reported doing something with flashlights by the side of North Fifth street in Custer. A deputy checked and found the people were not suspicious, but merely Canadian. The out-of-towners were enjoying an evening stroll.

Know it all.

#410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

From the same Oak Bay Police media release:

Police responded to the 2800 block of Foul Bay Road on Monday, February 11, when a store owner opened up her shop to find it had been broken into over the weekend. This is the third time that her shop has been the victim of a similar crime. In this case, a laptop computer was stolen. Entry appears to have been made through a rear door. Forensic identification services were called to the scene. The investigation is ongoing.

All joking aside, wouldn't it be more economical for the Oak Bay Police to just station a unit at the store and stop the crime spree once and for all? Relatively speaking, the place is a magnet for crime.

Know it all.

#411 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

I read this on Facebook today...

Anyone know what's up?

So I was speaking with a paramedic at work Saturday night and he informed me that the assorted ambulance stations that are scattered about our fair city are to be consolidated into one facility on Douglas st, nearish uptown. On the plus side, the ambulance service will save a load of money on rents & leases. On the down side, the adage about putting all of one's eggs into one basket applies well here. In a disastrous emergency (volcano, "the big one", etc.) this will prove to be a crippling error.

So, we won't amalgamate our regional municipalities, but the ambulance service...sure thing!

This is to happen in May.

#412 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

The old ICBC building at Douglas and Kelvin has been under renovations for a while now. (that's where the ambulances used to reside)

I think the "scattered" comment was the result of the renovations (for the most part)

Once the building is finished it will be business as usual as far as I can see.

#413 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

The old ICBC building at Douglas and Kelvin has been under renovations for a while now. (that's where the ambulances used to reside)

I think the "scattered" comment was the result of the renovations (for the most part)

Once the building is finished it will be business as usual as far as I can see.

But that's not where they were/are going to be all dispatched from, right?

#414 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

The BC Ambulance Service operates three Dispatch Operations Centres based in Kamloops, Vancouver and Langford which manage the receipt of all 9-1-1 calls and coordinate all responses to those calls. These fast-paced Centres operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week and are the first point of contact for people requiring emergency pre-hospital care.

http://www.bcas.ca/E...operations.html

#415 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

This tech park directory might be outdated or new.

http://vitp.ca/curre...e-911-dispatch/

#416 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Here is where they park their wheels on Vancouver Island.

http://www.scanbc.co...ancouver_Island

#417 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

A pic I took many years ago ...

Ambulance Park by Jason Langlois, on Flickr

So I'm not sure this is a new development.

#418 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

But surely they are going to have satellite stations in the further reaches, yes?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#419 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

Wait wait, are we confusing perhaps the renovation causing excess ambulances to be temporarily scattered among various parking lots, or are we saying that all community ambulance stations will be done away with and consolidated into the BC Buildings facility?

From a public safety and response time perspective there is absolutely no way that community ambulance stations would be haphazardly closed and consolidated like this. I'm sure we're talking about two different things here (at least I hope I'm sure).

Know it all.

#420 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Either we don't have enough information or someone is trying to start a rumor.

The ambulances are kept moving throughout the region depending on anticipated demand and to ensure adequate coverage, but I don't know how the stations come into play. Do standby paramedics drive to the stations, pick up an ambulance and then respond to a call?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users