Photo

[Bicycles] Regional Trails in Victoria: Galloping Goose, Lochside, Trans-Canada & E&N

• Please log in to reply
1124 replies to this topic

#21 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

In my view, the Galloping Goose/Lochside trail system can no longer realistically be deemed a linear park. Instead, it should be recognized and managed for what it is — a major regional transportation corridor and therefore subject to the provincial laws that govern the use of such corridors by all users, be they cyclists, pedestrians or dog-walkers. Moreover, there needs to be better co-ordinated sign management of the trail and intersecting roads among the CRD and participating municipalities.

Given the limited resources and staffing the CRD and local municipalities face, I don’t think the focus should be on enforcement, but rather on signs and education to minimize the safety hazards on the trail system. Some key steps to minimize safety issues would be:

• Manage the Galloping Goose/Lochside Trail system not as a linear park but as the major regional transportation corridor it has come to be.
• Develop clear, concise user rules for cyclists, pedestrians and dog-walkers using the trail system.
• Develop and implement clear, consistent signs throughout the entire trail system outlining these rules and safety measures.
• Distribute pamphlets containing a trail map, highlights and user-safety guidelines to local bike shops, hotels and other outlets such as B.C. Ferries to educate the public on use of the trail system.
• Conduct user-information days periodically throughout the year by setting up kiosks at key trail locations where CRD staff and volunteers can provide information on the safe use of the trail system.

http://www.timescolo...shing-1.1212543

Edited by amor de cosmos, 20 July 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#22 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

Worried that a pedestrian is going to get “smoked” by a speeding cyclist, Victoria council is calling on the Capital Regional District to tackle growing congestion problems on the Galloping Goose trail.

Coun. Shellie Gudgeon said there’s a huge safety problem on the trail and a number of options — including signs and widening or twinning the trail — have to be examined.

“There’s no ‘watch out for cyclists’ signs for pedestrians. Somebody’s going to get smoked. … The opportunities for danger are everywhere,” Gudgeon said.

http://www.timescolo...h.iJ0WprbL.dpuf

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

I think the real danger is a cyclist speeding up behind a pedestrian just as the pedestrian moves slightly to the right or left.

Many cyclists do not signal a verbal warning or a bell warning.

I wonder if installing speed bumps along the dangerous sections of the Galloping Goose would slow down the cyclists, without impeding pedestrians .

#24 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

Based on Isitts and Gudgeons track record on idiotic policy, I wouldn't be surprised if they lobby for all cyclists to dismount and walk their bikes on sections of the trail

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

Oh dare heavens no, pedestrians should yield to cyclists! How about cyclists signal their approach or, you know, slow down a little bit when passing pedestrians or little kids on skateboards. It's a multi-use trail, not a cycling track but cyclists treat it as such.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:12 AM

CARS, Gudgeon, et al want cars driving slower so they're less of a danger to cyclists (suggesting that the 85th percentile based speed limit should include the speed of cyclists). 

Average walking speed is around 5km/hr, so let's slow the bikes down a bit. I propose 8km/hr. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

I think the real danger is a cyclist speeding up behind a pedestrian just as the pedestrian moves slightly to the right or left.

Many cyclists do not signal a verbal warning or a bell warning.

I wonder if installing speed bumps along the dangerous sections of the Galloping Goose would slow down the cyclists, without impeding pedestrians .

God, please no speed bumps.  Pedestrians should walk on the left side, facing potential traffic.  Walkers ought to be aware, every cyclist should not have to ring a bell, although it wouldn't hurt.   But I don't doubt what Madoff says, some walkers avoid it due to fast bikes. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

Fast bikes are a huge problem on the Goose. It's downright dangerous. And officialdom wants to empower cyclists to go even faster? I swear, this region has some serious mental cogs rusted over and completely stuck.

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

... I swear, this region has some serious mental cogs rusted over and completely stuck.

But they are covered in a ghastly shade of blue paint so that makes it all seem to work.

• Mike K. and sebberry like this

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:24 AM

Lots of comments here:

https://www.facebook...383285948485601

I don't think a speed limit is the right way to do it.

What's the official line on what side you should be on, as a pedestrian?  One commenter says that they tried walking on the left, and were often "corrected".

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

Walkers ought to be aware, every cyclist should not have to ring a bell, although it wouldn't hurt.   

Perhaps...but you don't want the cyclists ringing YOUR bell, when they stick their front wheel right your rear end. :mad:

#32 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

Lots of comments here:

https://www.facebook...383285948485601

I don't think a speed limit is the right way to do it.

What's the official line on what side you should be on, as a pedestrian?  One commenter says that they tried walking on the left, and were often "corrected".

Right, with traffic.

• tedward likes this

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

Right, with traffic.

Ya, that does not seem proper.  I understand the concept, but I don't think it's good practice.  You sort of need nerves of steel to walk with your back to fast cyclists.

I don't think the trail is unsafe if walkers stay to the edge, but with kids and pets, it can get hairy.

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

And other cyclists.

Know it all.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

Right, you have more than two categories of users, you have at least three.

Pedestrians

Cyclists

Fast cyclists

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

Right, you have more than two categories of users, you have at least three.

Pedestrians

Cyclists

Fast cyclists

...and skate boarders, scooters, kids in strollers, and the deaf and the visually impaired.

#37 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

Fast bikes are a huge problem on the Goose. It's downright dangerous. And officialdom wants to empower cyclists to go even faster? I swear, this region has some serious mental cogs rusted over and completely stuck.

The problem is that the Goose is - by design - several different things, which are in fact not compatible with one another. It is a recreational trail, and it is the main bicycle commuter route. That is just bad design. The folks who are using it as their main commuter route are not the problem, they are one of the victims of bad design. But I'm not sure how the optimal solution is to slow down the people commuting on the Goose if we want to encourage (or at least enable) people who would rather commute by bicycle than car. Keep in mind that on another thread at this very time you are complaining about slow cars not getting out of the way in the left lane of the Pat Bay Highway, (presumably because that is inefficient behaviour on a primary commuter route for cars).

If we are saying the Goose should not be a main commuter route for cyclists, and should just be a recreational trail, that is another story, but with its own set of problems.

• Nparker and pherthyl like this

#38 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

The problem is that the Goose is - by design - several different things, which are in fact not compatible with one another. It is a recreational trail, and it is the main bicycle commuter route. That is just bad design.

We've heard this argument before about roads. Let's apply to the Goose the same logic the speed limit crowd keeps trying to apply to roads:

The only way cyclists will learn to respect other users is if their speed is regulated. 

When cyclists see the speed limit sign, they will realize that they're entering an area designed for people, not just vehicles.  Parents shouldn't have to worry about their kids playing on the road path or a dog getting away from them and being hit by a car bike that was going too fast to stop in time.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#39 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

I don't see speed limit signs as effective for bikes. Most don't have speedometers.

#40 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

It should be easy for them to gauge their speed.  If moving significantly faster than pedestrians, you're speeding.  Or you can get one of those cycle computer thingies. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users