#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:15 AM

Fatburger joining local eatery fray

Hip, retro styling and quality food are hallmarks of an L.A. original

By Andrew A. Duffy, Times Colonist April 1, 2011

A new downtown burger joint will be jumping late this summer as Fatburger expects to open its first Victoria location by Aug.1.

There are fewer than 150 Fatburgers worldwide -compared with McDonald's 32,000 locations -but it boasts a cult-like following and embraces phrases like "hip burger joint."

Fatburger will open a 1,650-square-foot location at 1209 Douglas St., which is currently vacant but recently housed a Tall Girl women's wear outlet.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1IHTitEJP
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:22 AM

This is not to be confused with Little Sammy's Fatburger, the local eatery from way back owned by Seigel and Cantin.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:53 AM

This is not to be confused with Little Sammy's Fatburger, the local eatery from way back owned by Seigel and Cantin.

Ooooh, I knew there was already some type of Victoria connection to the Fatburger name. Now you have to remind me where it was, Rob. Also remind me where the Southside was too, while you are at it. That brings back early dating memories.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:22 AM

...Also remind me where the Southside was too, while you are at it. That brings back early dating memories.

Wasn't it somewhere on the north side of lower Yates Street, between Gov't & Wharf? It was never as good when it moved to Broad Street.

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:26 AM

There was talk of Weight Watchers moving into that location.

#6 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:51 AM

from the TC story

The name came right at the start when Lovie Yancey opened her joint known for the biggest, juiciest hamburgers around L.A.

"Back then [1946] the phrase fat, fat cat, fat city meant you had made it . fat was associated with trendiness, happening and quality," said Di Benedetto. "The name stuck."

maybe they should update the spelling to PHatburger! :P

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

There was talk of Weight Watchers moving into that location.

bwhahaha

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

I don't see any action on renovations here.

For Lease sign still up.

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

I was in at Ricky's at Admirals' Walk a week or so ago, (Ricky's & Fatburger are related companies now - http://www.fatburger...adian-fatburger), and the manager there said the downtown Fatburger was still a go and in fact they may renovate the AW Ricky's to be a co-location for both.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

Here's the latest...

http://www.timescolo...5977/story.html

#11 lalfy

lalfy
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:01 AM

Is it open yet?

#12 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

Hey anyone know if this is open yet??
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#13 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

Drove by yesterday, still not open.

Matt.

#14 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

According to a reply tweet directly to me, they are due to open December 20th.

Doesn't make sense to open up right when most people are taking holidays and thus downtown will be much quieter than normal, but I'm also no business person so what do I know!

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria LocalMom. Make yourself at home. :)

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

^^Might be the perfect time to open up and get all the kinks worked out before the busy period picks up again.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#17 TimmyHos

TimmyHos
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

Fatburger had a soft open today and it was pretty busy around 1pm. The wait wasn't too long, but they're definitely still working out the kinks. The Grand Opening is still scheduled for tomorrow, Dec 20th.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

Yikes, holding a "grand opening" two days in is a bit ambitious. You'd think they would wait a few weeks to make sure the operation ran smoothly?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

I went yesterday (dec 21). Had Fatburger with Bacon and Cheddar and a side of chili fries. Wanted a beer but their liquor licence has not been completed yet.

I liked it a lot, maybe more than another new fast food burger place in town.

#20 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

I went yesterday (dec 21). Had Fatburger with Bacon and Cheddar and a side of chili fries. Wanted a beer but their liquor licence has not been completed yet.

I liked it a lot, maybe more than another new fast food burger place in town.

Don't be shy - tell us who you mean (there are actually two other fast food burger joints that have opened up in the past couple of months).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users