Fatburger | Victoria | Douglas at View streets

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

My review from Yelp

Hated it. Won't go back. Everyone was pep PEP PEPPY! AND SO HAPPY TO TAKE YOUR ORDER! Well, other than the poor chump who has to spend his whole shift opening the door for customers. As I walked up to order, I caught the tail end of the manager ripping the other cashier a new one before turning to me with the biggest fake smile "HI THERE! HOW CAN I HELP YOU?!". The whole experience was very disingenuous and uncomfortable. They ask for your name when they take your order and make sure to use it about ten thousand times, in an attempt to be JUST YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD BURGER JOINT OMG!! The veggie burger I had was alright, the onion rings were really gross: bitter, and the batter was falling off before I could get them to my mouth.

Service: Creepy
Food: Not great
Atmosphere: Vegas wedding chapel meets Red Robin

#22 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

I see Starbucks is also taking names to write on the cup so they can give you that friendly "Thanks, Bob, have a great day, Bob!" service.

As if they're not busy enough without writing names on cups...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

I'm looking forward to some friendly service. Even if it's disingenuous. Service at takeout joints in this city is abysmal.

I've been to Fatburger in other markets. The burgers are great. Honestly, I don't know why someone who orders a veggie burger is giving a review of a burger joint, but that's the internet for you.

#24 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:15 PM

Uhg I hate giving my name at places. Specially since it always takes 2-3 tries usually. Give me a number or something.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

Uhg I hate giving my name at places. Specially since it always takes 2-3 tries usually. Give me a number or something.

It usually ends up in a spelling lession with me too, after the usual "oh that's an unusual name, I never run into someone with that name" comments.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:38 AM

You can always use a fake name. Try Ringo, Cher or Goebbels. Or an old classic like I. P. Nitely.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

Once or two of their giant neon letters on the signage is now flickering ...unless it's meant to do that?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

you could give a different name

#29 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

It usually ends up in a spelling lession with me too, after the usual "oh that's an unusual name, I never run into someone with that name" comments.

Tell me about it !! I'm always having to say "with a Z, not an S" ;)

I do sometimes give a fake name, but I always use the same one so that I don't miss my order being called out.

when I went to Fatburger I was given a number that took to my seat. Is it different for take out orders?

I also heard a story from somebody about being witness to a manager disciplining an employee

#30 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

when I went to Fatburger I was given a number that took to my seat. Is it different for take out orders?

Yep, I think it's strictly a take-out thing.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

I also heard a story from somebody about being witness to a manager disciplining an employee

Must be happening a bit. Weirdie had the following to say:

I caught the tail end of the manager ripping the other cashier a new one before turning to me with the biggest fake smile "HI THERE! HOW CAN I HELP YOU?!".

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

^Distasteful interactions like that are completely unnecessary and put a sour taste on a dining experience.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#33 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Just had lunch there. After experiencing the burger joints of Southern California (In-n-Out, Sonic, Carl's Jr.) last week, I was looking forward to Fatburger; another SoCal transplant.

Wow, was I disappointed. Walking in, I found the posted menu text to be way too small and a bit confusing - I shouldn't need an MA from Hamburger U to navigate the menu. Not wanting to hold up the line too much, I just ordered the Mushroom Swiss Burger, fries and a fountain drink. With HST, $15.09. :eek:

I thought to myself for that price, it must be at least pub or gourmet burger joint quality good. Sadly, it was not. The beef itself was OK and had a bit of a peppery zing to it and the bun was inoffensive; however, the mushrooms were **** awful. They had the taste of pre-sliced Money's Mushrooms fresh from a tin. The Swiss cheese congealed in such a way that it was a dead giveaway as processed. The fries were dead average - McDonaldsesque.

Now, all of this is certainly not unforgiveable...for a meal under $10. After I ordered, I kept hearing "Big Fat Deal" repeatedly ordered. Had I been aware of some kind of a lunch combo (back to the menu navigability issue), I would have probably ordered that.

But for $15.09, there's absoultely zero chance of me going back. I could get a bacon cheeseburger, fries and a shake from Big Wheel for less than that, and the quality is exponentially higher.

#34 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

at least the patties are 6 oz

#35 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

at least the patties are 6 oz

6oz of mediocrity, yup.

#36 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

did you really have to say that? :rolleyes:

#37 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

An ok burger I guess but the creepiest service I've ever had. I've never seen such forced enthusiasm and the whole "kitchen repeats and yells out your order" thing is really weird. None of the staff seemed into it, and if not enough of them yelled your order they'd have to repeat their "cheer".
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#38 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

did you really have to say that? :rolleyes:

Just talkin' 'bout the food...

#39 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

6oz of mediocrity, yup.

That's a good rating, coming from Bob.

#40 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

That's a good rating, coming from Bob.

No. Check out my reviews of Bin4 and Big Wheel, smart guy.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users