Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Falls condo | 54m | 18- & 13-storeys | Built - completed in Aug 2009

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1066 replies to this topic

#1041 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:04 AM

I think every original member here needs to take the MoCA test.

#1042 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:21 AM

The contentious closing of the Falls’ breezeway is back in action as the manager of the building says VicPD are recommending they keep the breezeway closed to deter crime.

So we now have a public asset, which was offered as an amenity contribution, being kept from the public. I get the issues with safety, but there has to be a formal resolution.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1043 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:28 AM

Where is this breezeway and what does it connect?

#1044 m3m

m3m
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:32 AM

There have been a huge uptick in break-ins in the building. Storage lockers. bike lockers. car windows smashed. People sleeping in stairwells and garage. They hired overnight security to patrol the breezeway.

At some point, the building should be able to claim undue hardship.

#1045 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:33 AM

There is a parking entrance running north/south through the centre of the building. A pedestrian entrance in the middle of the west-facing storefronts connects to the parking area making a "T" shape connection. 

#1046 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:38 AM

There is a parking entrance running north/south through the centre of the building. A pedestrian entrance in the middle of the west-facing storefronts connects to the parking area making a "T" shape connection.

Sounds like a lackluster "amenity" if all it connects is the sidewalk to the parking lot. It should be closed after business hours until there's more redevelopment on the block.
  • Nparker likes this

#1047 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:44 AM

It is. But just like the mural on The Wave, it was offered as a public benefit. The issue is that it’s closed all the time now, not just after business hours.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1048 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:48 AM

...But just like the mural on The Wave, it was offered as a public benefit...

And just like the mural, The Falls walkway was a useless amenity from day 1.

• aastra likes this

#1049 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:48 AM

At the time the City insisted the walkway was necessary to combat the blight caused by Corbusian "superblocks". Which if you wade though the early pages of this thread you will learn was vigourously disputed.

My favourite aspect of the dispute was the disagreement between the committee members that thought the walkway should be wide to be more inviting and narrow to be more intimate. And those that thought it enhances sidewalk vibrancy and those that thought deleting it would enhance sidewalk vibrancy.

We said over a decade ago it was a bad idea and we've been proven right. 

• aastra and Nparker like this

#1050 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:14 AM

Walkways can be useful, but they have to be designed and located properly. Look at Fan Tan Alley, Millie's Lane, Trounce Alley, or Dragon Alley. All very different in design, but they ultimately work.

The Falls is not the right location, but something between the Chateau Victoria and a future development on the parking lots would probably be a good public asset if done right

Edited by Jackerbie, 08 November 2020 - 10:16 AM.

• DougG likes this

#1051 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:34 AM

Lotta help you were in 2006.

• aastra likes this

#1052 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 11:08 AM

It is. But just like the mural on The Wave, it was offered as a public benefit. The issue is that it’s closed all the time now, not just after business hours.

And that's on the city. I'm less worried about my enjoyment of the Falls walk-through being limited than I am my enjoyment of Beacon Hill Park. And the root cause is the same in both situations.

• Kungsberg likes this

#1053 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:32 PM

So we now have a public asset, which was offered as an amenity contribution, being kept from the public. I get the issues with safety, but there has to be a formal resolution.

The formal resolution should be: stop trying to force these stupid walkways. Do them right and do them where they make sense, or don't do them at all. This mid-block walkways saga has been exhausting. It's almost 20 years later and we're still talking about it re: Yates on Yates, etc.

New walkways would not be better just because. New public squares would not be better just because. New green spaces would not be better just because. This is such fundamental stuff.

Rob Randall often asks if out-of-town architects have visited a site in person. I ask if the promoters of arbitrary walkways and public spaces have ever bothered to walk around and honestly assess which ones have been successful and worthwhile and which ones have not. It's as if they're conceptualizing on paper without considering reality first and without ever bothering to check how things turn out in reality.

• Nparker likes this

#1054 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:46 PM

I emphasize that it was not my impression the walkway was initially offered as an amenity. It was strongly suggested by City Hall at a later meeting and Townline gave in. They then leveraged that (hey, we gave you the walkway, let us keep the height and roof lanterns)

#1055 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:57 PM

We're talking about a walkway extending east from Douglas into the property, yes?

If there's no legitimate reason for folks to use it then I expect it will probably get a gate on it soon enough. A lonely public corridor in that part of town would likely be a magnet for all sorts of undesirable activity.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Amazing Kreskin.

#1056 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:25 PM

iirc the falls door can be legally closed from 6pm onwards. and yes there is an additional gate closed off to resident parking. locked at all times.

if they are closing the amenity gate 24/7 they need to pay the city money for ceasing the amenity.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 November 2020 - 02:26 PM.

#1057 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:39 PM

...stop trying to force these stupid walkways. Do them right and do them where they make sense, or don't do them at all...

Mid-block walkways need to be more than just lifeless, pedestrian shortcuts to be successful. See Jackerbie's post above re Fan Tan Alley, Millie's Lane, Trounce Alley, or Dragon Alley for good designs.

• Brantastic likes this

#1058 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 05:11 PM

I emphasize that it was not my impression the walkway was initially offered as an amenity. It was strongly suggested by City Hall at a later meeting and Townline gave in. They then leveraged that (hey, we gave you the walkway, let us keep the height and roof lanterns).

In this case it was Westbank.
  • Rob Randall likes this

Know it all.

#1059 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 06:20 PM

I live and walk around downtown nearly everyday, trying to find all sorts of nooks and crannies I've never discovered and this is the first I'm hearing of a mid-block walkway here. I just found it on Google Street View and it looks very sad.

#1060 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:31 AM

The carriageway behind the Hudson is the gold standard for a modern purpose-built mid-block passage as far as I'm concerned:

- visually appealing (it's much more than just a claustrophobia-inducing corridor or tunnel),

- potentially useful for getting from A to B;

- activated (contains access points to commercial and residential establishments);

- not dangerous

If you want a pedestrian-only passage then do the same thing but make it a bit narrower. A bit.

The CoV should never have made it a mission to purposely introduce new isolated spaces to do drugs, or commit crimes or vandalism, or provide sexual services, or have privacy while sleeping, or whatever else. Heck, the push for these passages went into overdrive right around the same time there was that brouhaha about people relieving themselves downtown. Where was the sense in any of it?

• Rob Randall, Nparker and grantpalin like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users