Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Falls condo | 54m | 18- & 13-storeys | Built - completed in Aug 2009

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1066 replies to this topic

#1021 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:59 AM

I've heard that a complaint has been filed with the City of Victoria over the Falls' closure, once again, of its public pathway on weekends. The pathway, as we recall, was a component of the project's public amenity and is meant to stay open during business hours, seven days a week.

The 'waterfall,' also a part of the public amenity, is also not function at-present. The complaint includes a mention of the sporadic nature of its operation.

The City needs to get its act together with these amenities. This is yet another instance at this building that the amenity issue has arisen, and we've seen other issues elsewhere where the public amenity is largely discounted/ignored some time after the building's completion.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1022 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,771 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:04 AM

...The City needs to get its act together with these amenities...

There. Fixed that for you.

#1023 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:17 AM

All the owner has to do is say "security concerns" invalidate the agreement. That's why you can't cut through the Bay Centre through Broad St. after closing like you used to.

#1024 aastra

aastra
  • 20,762 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:32 AM

The City needs to get its act together with these amenities. This is yet another instance at this building that the amenity issue has arisen, and we've seen other issues elsewhere where the public amenity is largely discounted/ignored some time after the building's completion.

Back in the day we predicted it re: the Falls' passageway. The city has no excuse re: these lame-duck shortcuts dressed up as amenities. Do them right or don't do them at all.

And we also predicted it re: the waterfall(s). Personally, I really like fountains and water features, but again, they need to be done right or why bother? I'll take better cladding materials and better design as a public amenity any day of the week over a water feature that eventually gets shut down or filled in or whatever.

• zoomer and Rob Randall like this

#1025 aastra

aastra
  • 20,762 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:41 AM

Let the record show that nobody has ever even attempted to answer crucial questions re: long-term expectations about these amenities. The absurdity was highlighted when issues arose re: the mosaic on the side of the Wave.

Are these sorts of amenities expected to be maintained forever? If so, in what condition? In the exact same condition as when new, including built-in deficiencies? Regarding fountains and water features, what if a bigger/better water feature goes in next door? What if the building changes use or gets remodeled? What if the amenity gets stolen or severely vandalized? What if the amenity gets blocked from view by subsequent development? Etc.

I'll take better cladding materials and better design as a public amenity any day of the week over a water feature...

Considering the bland cladding panel craze that the city is mired in right now, the concerns about amenities seem especially absurd to me. Fundamental standards of architectural design need to be the focus.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#1026 m3m

m3m
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:48 AM

As I understand it, the waterfall is shut down when there is winds as it sprays all over the units and street below.  I see it on most of the time. It gets very windy on the higher floors.

#1027 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:49 AM

Considering the bland cladding panel craze that the city is mired in right now, the concerns about amenities seem especially absurd to me. Fundamental standards of architectural design need to be the focus.

You'll recall Denby Place.

https://vibrantvicto...ilt-remediated/

#1028 aastra

aastra
  • 20,762 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

Rob, are you still feeling optimistic like you were back in 2008?

For those who wonder how we got here, check out page 44 of this thread for a taste of the chatter circa-2009...

#1029 aastra

aastra
  • 20,762 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:05 PM

Optimistic but not enthusiastic. Another unofficial motto for the city?

#1030 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:12 PM

I recall when it was finally built I walked through it to experience the pedestrian delight the City insisted was mandatory to build. I was confronted by the HSBC lunchroom and everyone stopped eating to see what's with this idiot walking through the alley.

The only conflict expressed by ADP regarding the connector was between those that wanted it wider to be more inviting and those that wanted it narrower to be more intimate.

That's a good quote for your "The More Things Change" thread.

• aastra likes this

#1031 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:15 PM

All the owner has to do is say "security concerns" invalidate the agreement. That's why you can't cut through the Bay Centre through Broad St. after closing like you used to.

Negative. They tried that argument last time, and bylaw forced them to open it.

Either the amenity is maintained as approved by the city on behalf of the taxpayer, or the strata pays out the taxpayer. It’s one or the other.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1032 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

Negative. They tried that argument last time, and bylaw forced them to open it.

But the hours are reduced. You can't enter after closing correct?

#1033 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:29 PM

Not sure what the hours are, or were prior to the last action, but I do recall the sticking point back then was weekend access.

Know it all.

#1034 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:36 PM

My whole point is the City allowed the Bay Centre to change its promised agreement and we can't even compare the changes BECAUSE THE CITY LOST THE ORIGINAL PAPERWORK.

Or that little Cook St. parking lot. Oops, we lost that paperwork too.

A City amenity agreement isn't worth the paper it's printed on because the paper's probably lost.

#1035 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:38 PM

Well, to be fair, the Bay Centre agreement was struck in the late 80s.

Know it all.

#1036 aastra

aastra
  • 20,762 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:47 PM

Mike K. might be surprised, but they had paper and filing cabinets back then.

Ask Sparky, he was around.

• Rob Randall and newbie_01 like this

#1037 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 September 2020 - 03:27 PM

My whole point is the City allowed the Bay Centre to change its promised agreement and we can't even compare the changes BECAUSE THE CITY LOST THE ORIGINAL PAPERWORK.

Or that little Cook St. parking lot. Oops, we lost that paperwork too.

A City amenity agreement isn't worth the paper it's printed on because the paper's probably lost.

I would hope that amenity agreements and the easements that go with them would be registered on Title, so LTO would always have the official copy

• Mike K. likes this

#1038 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 04:47 PM

Did the waterfall amenity stop flowing in the past week or so? Because as I mentioned in another forum, it was still active last time I walked past about 1-2 weeks ago.

#1039 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 06:02 PM

It seems to operate on its own schedule. Maybe it shuts off when winds reach a certain speed? That would make sense. I don’t know when the complaint was made, though, just that it was.

Know it all.

#1040 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:02 AM

Some guy called Mike K. answers your question. 

What weather would prevent the waterfall from running?

Heavy wind. Not sure if sub-zero weather also requires shutting it down.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users