- - - - -

Blockbuster Canada in receivership

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#21 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

I must be the only twenty-something that still goes to the movie store.

I am not 20-something, but I am with you - I still go to a video store. I like going in, actually looking around, picking up the covers, reading the back. There is just something about it that ordering a movie online can't measure up to.

I go to Crazy Mikes on Shelbourne near Cedar Hill X, Pic a Flic in CSV, but my favourite is Oswego Video in James Bay.

#22 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

Those that don't get the value of Netflix haven't tried it.

Not neccessarily. As I mentioned above, there are people who still just prefer going and picking up an actual movie as opposed to getting one online.

For me it is like the difference between having a kindle/e-reader, and being able to download books for it (which is likely quicker, easier and cheaper) or spending an hour browsing through Munroe's or Russell Books to pick up one hardcover or paperback.

I will take the hour at the bookstore any day.

#23 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:48 AM

Yes well time is a valuable commodity for me these days. Besides, I am still a loyal pic a flic costumer.

#24 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:51 AM

When time becomes valuable, movies/TV are the first things to get cut.

#25 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:02 AM

Those that don't get the value of Netflix haven't tried it.

I haven't tried it nor do I intend to. Why pay for something you can get for free? :confused:

There's this new thing called "torrents".
In chains by Keynes

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

I haven't tried it nor do I intend to. Why pay for something you can get for free? :confused:

There's this new thing called "torrents".

The trouble is - with torrents you're not really getting something for free.
Free implies that you have legally acquired it at no cost.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#27 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:50 AM

I've downloaded many Torrents in my past, but Netflix still tops them in my opinion.

1. I can watch Netflix on 2 of my tv's because I have gaming consoles hooked up to them. I can also watch it comfortably in bed on my iphone and headphones too.

2. Torrents take a while to download, and I've had many torrents fail, corrupt or the quality plain sucks. And some you just can't find.

3. I don't mind supporting the entertainment industry and pay for something which is legal if I have the option and doesn't rob my bank account at the same time. I haven't stepped foot in a movie theatre for 5 years or more. I don't like spending $50 for a night out with my wife watching a crappy movie with noisy people around me in small uncomfortable chairs. I also don't like spending $7 for a one night blu-ray rental either.

I appreciate the time and money that goes into each movie and if everyone downloaded torrents there wouldn't be much of a film industry. I'm certainly NOT bashing the occasional download of a torrent and I can't say much because I have certainly done that myself. This isn't a post about saying don't do it, I just think $8 month is a perfect price point for me. Don't have to return anything, streaming so I can start and stop any time and the quality if awesome for the most part.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

I suppose for me, the $7 for the blu-ray rental IS the bargain when you compare it to a night out at the movie theater.

Oh, hey, look! A Netflix ad on this page! The wonders of tracking cookies ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#29 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

I think all of the local stores are closing except for the one in Oak Bay at Fort and Foul Bay.

#30 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

I think all of the local stores are closing except for the one in Oak Bay at Fort and Foul Bay.

That's the one I go to. Hopefully they stay open! I don't really want to switch to Robbers.

What about the one by Save on Foods/Boston Pizza?

#31 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

All blockbusters except the fort/foul bay location are liquidating their stock (movies, games, candy) starting today. Everything is 30% off today, and prices will continue to drop in the next few days. I just picked up 8 movies for $45 at the West Bay location. Not bad at all.

#32 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

The word "free" doesn't imply anything, it simply means it didn't cost you anything. Since when were torrents illegal in Canada?
In chains by Keynes

#33 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:31 AM

Torrents take a while to download, and I've had many torrents fail, corrupt or the quality plain sucks. And some you just can't find.

I can only remember one movie out of dozens that I couldn't get via uTorrent and I have searched for some extremely obscure movies although I have had some of the problems you described but I just went and got them from another site. Easy Peasy.
In chains by Keynes

#34 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

I have only had one failed uTorrent in the last 30 downloads. I have also found almost every movie or album I have looked for.

Sharing uTorrent files in Canada is not illegal as far as I know.

#35 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

The trouble is - with torrents you're not really getting something for free.

Getting "backup" copies of my DVDs is legal in canada and free ;)

#36 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

Getting "backup" copies of my DVDs is legal in canada and free ;)

Hey, if Harper gets his way, it won't be legal for you to make a backup copy of your DVDs, let alone downloading "backup" copies.

#37 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

This seems fitting
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#38 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

So are all these torrents people are downloading the same quality as a blu-ray or have people gone and compressed them and/or cut out audio channels?

#39 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

So are all these torrents people are downloading the same quality as a blu-ray or have people gone and compressed them and/or cut out audio channels?

Seb

Go to Pirate Bay and search for a movie. You will find that you can have your pic of quality as long as you are not in a rush and have lots of storage space on your hard drive you can download as HD at 3-4 Gig.

I usually find one at 750 meg or so, quick to download and quick to convert to MP4 which is what I use to play on my Sony Blue Ray.

Nice quality. Drop by when you are in the neighborhood and I can show you.

#40 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

:P Thanks Sparky.

And I'm the computer guy ;)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users