Photo

Canada Post issues and news in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
810 replies to this topic

#21 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

And this is the kind of modernization that the union has been supporting. The Harper Government has refused as part of their plan to make Canada Post fail so they can then sell it to their cronies for a deflated price.

Why do you need the post office to offer banking services?

There are lots of banks around and with e-interac you can send money to anyone with an e-mail address and a bank account at any chartered bank, from the comfort of your home.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#22 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

Why do you need the post office to offer banking services?

There are lots of banks around and with e-interac you can send money to anyone with an e-mail address and a bank account at any chartered bank, from the comfort of your home.

Have the banks been closing branches in rural Canada?
Have some Canadians been stuck with no bank for 50 miles or more?
Not everyone lives in a city or large town, not everyone has a computer or internet access.
One of the most popular services offered is the ability to get cash to someone in a remote area without fat transfer charges. In rural France we used to be able to give our mail to the postie as long as it had proper postage on it. They offer insurance services as well.
Part of the rationale is to provide an alternative to the big banks who can be quite indifferent to people living in less-populous areas. And many French people simply do not like or trust banks.

#23 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

I just completed a very lengthy phone questionnaire on how Canada Post rates in the eyes of our business.

So here is a question for everyone.

Does Canada Post operate like most businesses? ie do they make a profit by selling stamps?..........

....or do they require taxpayer subsidies....like CBC?

#24 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

First - I can not remember the last package we received that was shipped through Canada Post - in the last year was have seen something like half a dozen different companies at the door and I do not think any of them were Canada Post. About half the stuff was from the states.

Second - the only location in BC with any population that does not have any sort of bank or credit union is the Iskut/Telegraph Creek area, though some remote First Nation communities are also without banks. Also, in rural BC there is no home mail delivery service. Canada post uses rural communities to subsidize mail delivery in urban areas.

Third - the number of people in Canada with no access to internet, either in the home or at a local public library is vanishingly small. Every rural community in Canada has some sort of public internet access, in fact for many rural residents access to the internet is closer to their home than the post office is.

The only relevant service Canada Post offers is package delivery, I do not make that much use of them or the competitors so I have no idea which one is more cost effective

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

Many e-tailers who offer free shipping on orders over $xx.xx use Canada Post. I'm guessing they are quite a bit cheaper than Puro/FedEx/UPS.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

First - I can not remember the last package we received that was shipped through Canada Post - in the last year was have seen something like half a dozen different companies at the door and I do not think any of them were Canada Post. About half the stuff was from the states.

If it wasn't UPS/Fedex/DHL, it was likely Canada Post handing the package off to a private delivery service. CP relies on these local delivery companies to help deliver packages across town, likely at a cheaper cost than hiring additional unionized CP delivery drivers. If the parcels were shipped USPS, then Canada Post would have almost certainly used a private delivery service to deliver the package to your door.

Many e-tailers who offer free shipping on orders over $xx.xx use Canada Post. I'm guessing they are quite a bit cheaper than Puro/FedEx/UPS.

Significantly cheaper due to the slower shipping speed, no expense for signature capture, no tracking and the option of slipping a pick-up slip into the door. UPS/Fedex/Puro/DHL expedite every shipment, have tracking, capture signatures and will try your address multiple times before requiring pick-up from the depot, and even then you can arrange another drop-off attempt.

UPS's basic Canadian rate is $22, even if the parcel is heading across town. To ship a small parcel via Canada Post across town the rate is about $8. As you tack on tracking and signature the price jumps significantly, but even then companies shipping lots of orders on a daily basis can benefit from CP's volume discounts.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

If it wasn't UPS/Fedex/DHL, it was likely Canada Post handing the package off to a private delivery service. CP relies on these local delivery companies to help deliver packages across town, likely at a cheaper cost than hiring additional unionized CP delivery drivers. If the parcels were shipped USPS, then Canada Post would have almost certainly used a private delivery service to deliver the package to your door.

Significantly cheaper due to the slower shipping speed, no expense for signature capture, no tracking and the option of slipping a pick-up slip into the door. UPS/Fedex/Puro/DHL expedite every shipment, have tracking, capture signatures and will try your address multiple times before requiring pick-up from the depot, and even then you can arrange another drop-off attempt.

UPS's basic Canadian rate is $22, even if the parcel is heading across town. To ship a small parcel via Canada Post across town the rate is about $8. As you tack on tracking and signature the price jumps significantly, but even then companies shipping lots of orders on a daily basis can benefit from CP's volume discounts.

We just had a parcel shipped via Purolator and they tried to deliver once and that was it, we had to go pick it up.

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

We just had a parcel shipped via Purolator and they tried to deliver once and that was it, we had to go pick it up.

I actually kind of like that. Unlike UPS/FedEx where you have to wait for them to try three times, Puro lets you pick it up the next day. IMO, it's easier that way. The number of times I've missed the mailman because I've been on the toilet.. :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

No kidding? Perhaps it's different if its headed for a commercial address? We will only use UPS if we need to ship something by other than Canada Post (wholesale orders only, small parcels via UPS are far too expensive) and sometimes receive materials by Fedex or DHL, but Purolater would be the bottom of the barrel as far as our courier mailings are concerned.

We're starting to feel the pain from the Canada Post strike. We can't ship orders and our cheques from customers are obviously not being delivered. It's hard to have sympathy for strikers earning a minimum of $23 per hour when your business is being negatively affected by whatever demands these folks have on the table.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

No kidding? Perhaps it's different if its headed for a commercial address?

My experience receiving lots of packages via Purolator has been one-attempt only, then a pickup notice. For both residential and commercial.

I actually like it that way. I don't have to wait around for 5 hours the day after until it shows up.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

If you call UPS they'll try to deliver again several hours after the first attempt.

Know it all.

#32 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

I have had UPS try a second time on the same day. I suppose it works ok if you're a business, but at home I don't want to wait around all day only to miss the guy when I finally give in to the urge to use the bathroom. Always happens like that for me :P

#33 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

I have had UPS try a second time on the same day. I suppose it works ok if you're a business, but at home I don't want to wait around all day only to miss the guy when I finally give in to the urge to use the bathroom. Always happens like that for me :P

Stop guzzling beer while you're waiting!:P

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

Stop guzzling beer while you're waiting!:P

yuck, no beer for me :P

#35 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

With UPS you can specify to leave the parcel at the door if no one is at home, unless the sender has specifically said not to. I don't know about the others.

#36 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

With UPS you can specify to leave the parcel at the door if no one is at home, unless the sender has specifically said not to. I don't know about the others.

A friend has a Purolator barcode stuck to their front door for the driver to leave the package.

Can't safely do that in a condo however.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

Raitt is planning to table "back to work" bill for postal workers.

About time.

Know it all.

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

Raitt is planning to table "back to work" bill for postal workers. About time.

That's assuming that taking away one's collective bargaining rights is a good thing.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

Paying Canada Post workers a $19 starting wage, down from $23, is a good thing.

Mandating that CP workers end their strike and get back to work to do what their customers pay them to do, is a wonderful thing.

Know it all.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

Paying Canada Post workers a $19 starting wage, down from $23, is a good thing.

Mandating that CP workers end their strike and get back to work to do what their customers pay them to do, is a wonderful thing.

I hear Syria is nice this time of year, Mike. They have similar labour policies.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users