Canada Post issues and news in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
810 replies to this topic

#41 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

I was kinda hoping that this labour dispute would last much longer.

The business world would then apply electronic processes that would eliminate the need for mail.

Perhaps the back to work legislation is intended to protect both the workers and the corporation from themselves.......not nessesarily from each other.

#42 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

Wow, my UPS driver must really like his job. He tried to drop off a package this morning and I missed him, and just returned now at 6:45 to try again.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

Globe and Mail reports that the mail will be delivered on Tuesday.

I can only imagine how long this debacle would have taken if the government hadn't stepped in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

^For some, the Canadian labour dispute was not long enough.

Here is a piece that looks at the mail system in other countries.

http://www.downsizin...-postal-service

#45 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

I can see mail delivery reduced to 3 times a week max, and CP reducing their letter carrier workforce by a third.

Wouldn't bother me to see it go to once a week.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:30 AM

Postal workers are still striking at the depot on Glanford Ave.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

Postal workers are still striking at the depot on Glanford Ave.

They had the right to strike until 24 hours after the legislation had been given royal assent, which means until late this afternoon.

#48 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

"Postal workers are still striking at the depot on Glanford Ave. "

no, they were locked out by Canada Post and not allowed inside to do their job. big difference.

#49 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

^not really. The lockout was cancelled as soon as the legislation was signed, if they are still out it is their choice.

#50 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

I got some mail yesterday. Bills mostly. But I did get a flyer for a Canadian Tire sale which ended June 23rd.

I wonder if Canada Post will be providing refunds or service credits to companies who have mailed out time sensitive pieces?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

I got some mail yesterday. Bills mostly. But I did get a flyer for a Canadian Tire sale which ended June 23rd.

I wonder if Canada Post will be providing refunds or service credits to companies who have mailed out time sensitive pieces?

Yes. That's unaddressed admail, and it comes with delivery guarantees. Other general mail doesn't. I'm not sure the cost of producing the piece is covered, but I'm sure a large company like CT has more than just standard agreements with CP.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#52 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:47 AM

Yes. That's unaddressed admail, and it comes with delivery guarantees.

Quite frankly if I never received another piece of unaddressed mail I wouldn't be the least bit distressed. Yesterday, my mailbox was full with nothing but this unwanted junk which I immediately tossed into my condo's recycling bin...where, I might add, I have to pay to have it taken away.:mad:

#53 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

Quite frankly if I never received another piece of unaddressed mail I wouldn't be the least bit distressed. Yesterday, my mailbox was full with nothing but this unwanted junk which I immediately tossed into my condo's recycling bin...where, I might add, I have to pay to have it taken away.:mad:

All you have to do is opt out by putting a little sign on your mailbox stating "no unaddressed mail" and they won't leave any for you.

I've done this for the last two years and it works wonders.

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

Today is the 8th business day after the CP strike. We have yet to receive important mail that was to be delivered by the second week of June, and no mail from outside of the country has arrived at all since the strike began.

Know it all.

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

Since the resumption of "regular" postal service I have yet to receive any financial statements (banks, credit cards etc.) and most importantly, I still haven't received my HST referendum package. I did see one in the return mail slot yesterday, so I know some people (perhaps only the people who have moved) at my address have had them delivered. :mad:

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:52 AM

This makes me wonder if CP's decision not to allow overtime and instead hire temporary labour is causing sorting delays.

Know it all.

#57 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

Since the resumption of "regular" postal service I have yet to receive any financial statements (banks, credit cards etc.) and most importantly, I still haven't received my HST referendum package. I did see one in the return mail slot yesterday, so I know some people (perhaps only the people who have moved) at my address have had them delivered. :mad:

I got my HST package. Even though I'm not supposed to be on the voter's list :confused:

Got some bills and statements too, and a small package I was waiting on from the states.

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

Today we received the first cheque, which coincidentally was mailed out during the strike from the United States. Cheques mailed to us prior to the strike even starting or in the early days of the strike have yet to arrive.

And this is becoming a little worrying, to be quite honest, considering mail can get lost on the best of days.

Know it all.

#59 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:51 PM

I just received a small package from New York mailed June 3.

#60 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

Finally got my referendum package today. It's been completed and is back in the mail already.:)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users