Canada Post issues and news in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
810 replies to this topic

#81 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

We got one of those letters but I didn't even realize we were on a "no junk" list. The previous occupants must have done it. There's no sign on our mailbox.

On another note, someone recently called me saying a cheque they mailed me was returned to them with "not at this address" marked on the envelope. The address was right, the mailman must have delivered it to the wrong house. Not the first time he's had a dyslexic moment. Or under the influence. I once had a mailman I swear was nearly falilng down drunk.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#82 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

When I had my shop I used the Canada Post Unaddressed Admail service. It I got a much better response to the flyers that were sent via that service compared to inserted into newspapers. The downside obviously was the price was much higher per piece.

One benefit to the service is advertisers can narrow down the distribution based on letter carrier walks. This allows for better targeting of materials than newspaper insertions.

Many retailers have flyers on their websites but still choose to send out paper flyers. Even for tech-savvy people, having a paper flyer show up reminds me of retailers I may not be actively searching for online.

Flyers are still a great way to get people salivating for your product, especially when they don't know it exists in the first place.

Canada Post is also seeing revenues decline with fewer people buying stamps. They're relying more on their Unaddressed Admail service for revenue.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#83 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

I have a "no flyers" request on my (condo) mailbox, so when I got that letter from Canada Post I thought - yup, I know all of that about junk mail, and that is why I don't want it. When I do get it it goes straight in to the recycling bin.

I consider this letter itself to be junk mail, so I will put it back in to their direct response envelope, asking them not to send me this king of junk.
Pieta VanDyke

#84 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

Does anybody rip up their junk mail and then mail it back to the company in their own postage paid envelope? I do it with credit card offers frequently. I know it is pointless but it gives me a small sense of satisfaction.

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

^hey now, that's an idea.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Does anybody rip up their junk mail and then mail it back to the company in their own postage paid envelope? I do it with credit card offers frequently. I know it is pointless but it gives me a small sense of satisfaction.

Yes, and for extra effect, I drop in a tablespoon of talcum powder too. :cop:
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#87 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

Can someone explain what kind of f***ery is going on here?

As part of a regular review of letter carriers’ routes, addresses that are not recognized as valid will have their mail delivery cut off, Canada Post spokesman John Caines said Monday.
[...]
Tom Gillespie, 68, was shocked to find that his office at A-954 Queens Ave. was not recognized as a legal address, and he is now working with Canada Post and the city to get back on the delivery route.
[...]
Canada Post: “If they are living in illegal suites, they need to get that rectified with the city. That’s not our business. Our business is delivering mail to valid addresses,”

http://www.timescolo...suites-1.564480

What the hell business is it of Canada Post what the legal status of an apartment is? Sounds like a sleazy and/or poorly thought out plan to cut delivery routes without regard for the implications to our region's most vulnerable citizens. Good luck to the welfare guy trying to get a job with "no fixed address".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#88 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

It took me nearly 6 weeks to get mail delivery to my new office, it had been carved out of a larger office on my floor. My office door is well-marked, and is literally three steps from the office next door that gets mail delivery just fine.

But no, my office was not recognized as a legal address, I had to go through the City to get it fixed. That was the easy part. Getting Canada Post to then recognize it took 4 calls, and finally a discussion with the letter carrier as I was able to find her on her route. By this time the carrier had "returned to sender" 3 items of my mail.

How about this for buck-passing:

If they are living in illegal suites, they need to get that rectified with the city. That’s not our business. Our business is delivering mail to valid addresses,” Caines said.

“The other problem is that it’s a safety issue for the city because, if there’s an emergency there and a truck comes looking for that address, it does not exist on the map,” he said.

City of Victoria spokeswoman Katie Josephson said it is Canada Post that is responsible for decisions on what constitutes a legal address.

“While staff are aware that Canada Post has slowly been making some changes … the city has no policy related to this,” she said.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

This was a couple weeks ago. Now they can get rid of all the twin mailboxes they installed in 2010.

Canada Post will ship Greater Victoria letters to Vancouver for sorting, starting Sept. 16.

While the corporation says no Victoria staff will be laid off, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers says the change will eliminate 10 jobs through staff reassignment and attrition.

“We just got notice [Wednesday] morning via email, a letter from national Canada Post,” said Janet Barney, president of CUPW Local 850.

The change will not affect packages sent between points on Vancouver Island or direct mail advertising, which will continue to be handled in Greater Victoria.

The change “is going to devastate the mail here, and the jobs” Barney said.

In 2010, Canada Post shifted the sorting of letter mail north of Victoria to the Lower Mainland. Victoria letters have been sorted locally.

In some areas, Canada Post has set up twin mailboxes, one for letters destined for Vancouver Island and the other for letters to be sent elsewhere.

http://www.timescolo...inland-1.542508

#90 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

This is extremely petty and stupid of Canada Post to do.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#91 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

I foresee a retraction.

#92 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

The cities and municipalities are likely horrified by this stupid proposal because it prods them into opening up the Pandora's Box of illegal suites, which currently exists in a "don't ask, don't tell" limbo that currently satisfies everyone. There must be more to this story, it's just too ridiculous.

#93 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

The inanity is jaw-dropping. One of my fondest posessions is a letter addressed to me, at "First house on the left on <foo> Street, up the hill from <foo> Road, Victoria. What can I say - not everyone can remember addresses like I can. It got to me in three days.

I could have sworn that the PO was in service to deliver letters to people and businesses, not addresses. I guess the Bulk Mail philosophy has taken over the entire org chart.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#94 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Canada Post CEO Deepak Chopra (no, not that Deepak Chopra): "Now how, just how can we make Canada Post even less relevant than it is today? I know!"

You know, if I had my mail returned to sender, I'd be tempted to sue Canada Post for tort. As a reasonable person, I would have done my due diligence in obtaining the correct address of the receiver. Unless the receiver is also a deceiver, I've done all I can to ensure that the service I am purchasing from Canada Post is done so providing the best and most accurate available. For Canada Post to turn around and not fulfill their end of the contract because of an otherwise unstated policy (this legal suite thing is only now general knowledge because it's hit the news) is unreasonable. Canada Post is not in a position to determine what is and what is not a legal suite. In addition, there is much jurisprudence protecting non-conforming real property uses.

#95 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hey maybe Canada Post can ship our mail to China for sorting, then they would really save money.

I dont see how its more efficient to have mail sorted in Vancouver.

#96 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

According to Canada Post's most recently quarterly report, “Based on current financial forecasts, the Canada Post segment believes it has sufficient liquidity to support its operations until at least the end of the first quarter of 2014...”

What??? Canada Post thinks it has enough cash to operate until approximately spring 2014?

Thankfully, the company acknowledges it needs to "to restructure its business model to meet the changing needs of Canadians and Canadian businesses.”

Expect some major changes coming to mail delivery in the coming weeks and months. Much more will change than sorting being moved to Vancouver. Think mail delivery only once or twice week type changes.

#97 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

Well they can't be working too hard, I just got a parcel today from Ontario, took 9 days to get here.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#98 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

We have been having an issue where I live regarding our mailboxes.
The other day I went to open my mailbox and the main door swung open. I immediately phoned Canada Post and was told someone would be there within 4-5 hours. As many of my neighbours mail would be vulnerable during that time I commented that I should take it all to my house and deliver it later. "No, cant do that it's illegal." I was told. Much better that the crooks get it.
I have put a complaint in to Canada Post as this is the 4th time that this has happened that I know of. One time every mail door was left open. That's 18 doors.
Has anyone else had this problem?

#99 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

How much do you have to hate your job to be so careless at it?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#100 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

Trying to send something in the mail using their online Ship in a Click service. It works well, used it several times.

After entering all the shipment details, I see on the very last page this note:

Liability Coverage is available to a maximum of $100 (where applicable) when using Ship-in-a-click™. If you require coverage beyond $100, your package will need to be mailed from the Post Office.

Sure, tell me after I enter all the details that I need to do it at the post office.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)