Canada Post issues and news in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
832 replies to this topic

#121 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

buy them now when the price is ~$0.63 per stamp they'll still be good four years later when the cost is $0.72 or whatnot. It's nice not to have to fidget with and buy $0.01 or $0.05 cent stamps just to send a letter.

Ah, it's going to $0.85 this March, for multipacks, and $1.00 for singles.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

$0.85!!!??? What in the hell?

I wonder what small parcel shipments will jump to. Already it's $7.80 minimum for a small parcel destined to anywhere in the US (meanwhile it's nearly $14 to ship across Canada!). Thankfully USPS has its costs reigned in.

It actually costs more to ship a parcel to Vancouver than it does to Florida. Unreal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#123 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

Such a sudden and drastic change in operations must mean that they've been putting off anticipating and dealing with declining revenues for years.  This is more of an "Oh crap" response than a "we need to plan for future demand changes" one. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#124 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

I notice that the downtown post office, after their move, does not have the self-serve machines for sending letters and parcels.  For about 6 weeks they had a girl assisting people with the self-serve machines in the old location, showing them how to operate the.  

Then they just gave up.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#125 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

So we will soon be able to say with much delight "Your cheque is in the mail, somewhere" 

and also save a ton of money on Christmas Cards.  Bah humbug anyways! :mad:

#126 LJ

LJ
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

The unions will fight this tooth and nail because it is all contractors servicing the cluster boxes not union members.

Remember when "postal strike" struck fear in the hearts of the population, now it is basically a non entity.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#127 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'm not worried, CIBC still regularly accepts cheques via carrier pigeon for my LOC payment.

I just hope carrier pigeon prices don't go up. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#128 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

The unions will fight this tooth and nail because it is all contractors servicing the cluster boxes not union members.

They have no legal position to fight, they have no union contract terms to prevent it.  15,000 union members are expected to retire or leave in the next 5 years, so the reduction of 6-8k will not be severe.  

Get this, the average age of current workers is 48.  Ouch!  Bet that's the oldest workforce of any major company in this country.

#129 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

Only announced yesterday and I am already bored of this story. Does anyone actually care about this? I mean I cannot remember the last time I got anything of note in the mail. I assume they will still be delivering parcels to the door so that is all that really matters right?

• Matt R. likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#130 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

Only announced yesterday and I am already bored of this story. Does anyone actually care about this? I mean I cannot remember the last time I got anything of note in the mail. I assume they will still be delivering parcels to the door so that is all that really matters right?

Me too.  All the people on the radio talk-shows wondering how seniors and disabled will deal with that.  I wish we could give them the respect they deserve.  

Seniors get groceries, they get milk, they get their medicine now, they will cope!  This is urban areas only, they also have neighbours, good neighbours help neighbours.  If they are so infirm they barely move from the home, then they usually have care attendants, or they are in a care home that will still have central mail drop-off.

Let's give our seniors credit!

#131 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

The only people who care are opposition MPs who want to ignore the changes in our society and want to "save jobs" through heavy subsidization.

My grandparents in rural Alberta have had the "end-of-the-street-mailbox" for as long as I can remember. My 86 year old grandfather still manages to go down the street and collect his mail, nearly every single day.

#132 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

The only people who care are opposition MPs who want to ignore the changes in our society and want to "save jobs" through heavy subsidization.

You should have heard Murray Rankin this morning, he's brutal.

#133 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

So why is USPS doing OK but Canada Post has to make this radical shift? 

#134 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

My grandparents in rural Alberta have had the "end-of-the-street-mailbox" for as long as I can remember. My 86 year old grandfather still manages to go down the street and collect his mail, nearly every single day.

Look, the same people that get all their bills in the mail, also write cheques (then send outgoing mail from a mailbox), or go to the bank to pay them.  People are WAY more mobile than we give them credit for.  Those that can't go get their mail at the end of the street also can't go get groceries, so they arrange for that.  They'll get by.

#135 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

Here's a tip for everyone to save money if you mail out invoices or what have you. Go out and purchase one or two stamp spindles. They'll run you about $60 for 100 of them but the nice thing is they're valued with the letter "P" which means if you buy them now when the price is ~$0.63 per stamp they'll still be good four years later when the cost is $0.72 or whatnot. It's nice not to have to fidget with and buy $0.01 or $0.05 cent stamps just to send a letter.

Foiled!

Canada Post says effective immediately, "the sale of new permanent or 'P' stamps will be suspended until the transition is successfully completed."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tamps-1.2461524

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#136 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

That's OK, I have 9 P stamps left.  That should last me several years.

That and the carrier pigeons I'm training.

#137 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

^ ^ Really, they suspected that much hoarding?  That might have been a nice cash injection.

#138 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

The same package costs about $1 to ship from China!

USPS is a bad example as technically they are insolvent.

But if they were allowed to run their pension fund like a normal business does in the USA they would be making a profit each year.

• tedward likes this

#139 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

So why is USPS doing OK but Canada Post has to make this radical shift? 

It's not and has been cutting back as well (to loud criticism). Demand for mail has also plummeted, they recently defaulted on future retiree health benefit costs and has cut back service from six days a week to five.

#140 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

^ Yeah, USPS is in huge trouble.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users