109 replies to this topic

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Well the wireless ones might ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

interac machines probably imbue toxins into the energy waves of the store which would harm most of their staff and customers.

I can't speak for their customers, but their staff are pretty much perpetually stoned. I doubt they are aware of any toxins, real or imagined.;)

That being said, I would likely purchase there if they took interact. I almost never carry cash anymore.

#43 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

The Soup Peddler in CSv is cash only. I went in there, ordered something, handed my debit card and she tells me it's cash only. I told her I didn't have cash. She told me about the cahs machine in the pub. I told her i was in a rush and couldn't get money because my family was waiting for me outside. So i had to say goodbye.
Good job saving that 2-3% fee.

#44 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

The Soup Peddler in CSv is cash only. I went in there, ordered something, handed my debit card and she tells me it's cash only. I told her I didn't have cash. She told me about the cahs machine in the pub. I told her i was in a rush and couldn't get money because my family was waiting for me outside. So i had to say goodbye.

I had much the same experience at Soup Peddler, gumgum. I refuse to use a white label cashpoint because the fees are exorbitant. I should know, we have an out-facing one @ The Fernwood Inn and we make an absolute mint on it, despite the fact that we accept all forms of payment inside.

I refuse to go to Darcy's because they have a white label one but only accept cash inside. Not only do they avoid paying the fees for the machines, but they stick it to you on the withdrawal. No thanks.

#45 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

When I had my debit terminal the debit transaction fee was a flat 10c

Credit cards were in the 2-3% range.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

I had much the same experience at Soup Peddler, gumgum. I refuse to use a white label cashpoint because the fees are exorbitant. I should know, we have an out-facing one @ The Fernwood Inn and we make an absolute mint on it, despite the fact that we accept all forms of payment inside.

I refuse to go to Darcy's because they have a white label one but only accept cash inside. Not only do they avoid paying the fees for the machines, but they stick it to you on the withdrawal. No thanks.

Indeed. A bar I work with accepts all forms of payment, and still makes a fortune on the ATM. I know that on a crazy weekend it can dispense $12k over the two nights, no problem. I hate to think how many transactions that is.

That's a bit lame of Darcy's.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 snaptee

snaptee
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

I sometimes go there for lunch during the week. They have always accepted my credit card.

The Caprice Theatre in Langford is cash only.

#48 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

I sometimes go there for lunch during the week. They have always accepted my credit card.

The Caprice Theatre in Langford is cash only.

My mistake. I know that they certainly do not accept debit cards. Which to me, doesn't make any sense. They're paying points on the transaction, but would only pay a nominal flat fee on the debit charge.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

My mistake. I know that they certainly do not accept debit cards. Which to me, doesn't make any sense. They're paying points on the transaction, but would only pay a nominal flat fee on the debit charge.

I sort of understand why some bars do this. And you have to understand a bit, that Darcy's may be relaxed in the day, it gets pretty crazy at night.

So when people buy a drink at the bar, one at a time, and use debit, it's a big delay for the bartender that's trying to crank out drinks. I see this at a bar I work with, where every once in a while US students show up, and they basically use Visa Debit cards, that act like credit cards, but they use them like debits, pulling them out for each drink.

People can leave their credit card at the bar, and run a tab, but it's harder to do that with a debit, as if the person runs a tab and leaves, the bar can't process the transaction, and probably doesn't even have a name on the card.

The bar I work with probably processes 5 or 6 transactions a week where the credit-card-leaver forgets to pay their tab. No big deal, it gets processed in their absence, and they usually show up next day to sign and pick-up card. Some never show up, but the card still gets processed.

But indeed Darcy's could probably have a day-side debit plan, that changes when they go into nightclub mode. But then again, those fees from the bank machine are pretty nice for them.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Like sebbery said, debit charges can be almost meaningless. It's the credit cards that ding retailers a solid percentage per transaction (most expensive is Amex) and some charge a set fee on top of the percentage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 Rosebud1

Rosebud1
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

I've become annoyed with merchants that refuse to take cash.

Took the Clipper to Seattle this weekend. The whole boat is credit card only. Gal on the boat made an exception for me, since I was only spending 50 cents on anti-nausea pills. I then flew out of Seattle via Southwest Airlines, which no longer takes cash on its planes for drinks.

I like paying cash, especially for small purchases. I know I have the money free and clear.

I didn't even know it was legal to not accept cash. Isn't it legal tender?

It just so happens that Bank of America was filming an ad on the Clipper when we sailed. One employee told us that she thought the move to being cash free was connected to a small business loan that the Clipper had recently received from B of A. Hmmmm....

I have also heard speculation that businesses don't want to accept cash due to employee stealing. I am sorry they have this problem, but I don't think this is my problem.

Just my five cents (since we are getting rid of the penny).

#52 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Took the Clipper to Seattle this weekend. The whole boat is credit card only. Gal on the boat made an exception for me, since I was only spending 50 cents on anti-nausea pills. I then flew out of Seattle via Southwest Airlines, which no longer takes cash on its planes for drinks.

I like paying cash, especially for small purchases. I know I have the money free and clear.

It just so happens that Bank of America was filming an ad on the Clipper when we sailed. One employee told us that she thought the move to being cash free was connected to a small business loan that the Clipper had recently received from B of A. Hmmmm....

I have also heard speculation that businesses don't want to accept cash due to employee stealing. I am sorry they have this problem, but I don't think this is my problem.

I'm adjusting my tinfoil hat a tad.
But what you are saying does hold water. A cashless society is a defenceless one.
Hold onto your cash as much as you can put aside.
My friend who lives in Tokyo could not access his bank for 12 days after the Japan earthquake.
So always have gas, water, food and cash.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

That's odd. I think moreso than stealing, they also like less accounting/processing with no cash. No float, no handling/counting. But it seems lame.

#54 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

That's odd. I think moreso than stealing, they also like less accounting/processing with no cash. No float, no handling/counting. But it seems lame.

Yeah! I still use cash for the downtown parking meters, and when I buy a cup of coffee, or a newspaper. The line-ups at coffee houses go faster if you don't have to fart around with cards and pin numbers. I always have a toonie for a cupa.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

Regading the Clipper, Canadian travelers will now be dinged exchange fees each time they make an on-board purchase. That's on top of the typically unfair exchange rate itself.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Regading the Clipper, Canadian travelers will now be dinged exchange fees each time they make an on-board purchase. That's on top of the typically unfair exchange rate itself.

Is that some type of extra charge, more than you'd pay if you used your credit card at a US land point?

What I'm saying is, since probably 80% of Clipper travelers are US credit card holders, I can't expect them to have a US-registered credit card processing system for US residents, and a Canadian-based one for us. The Clipper operates mostly to bring US tourists to us, and 90% of the route is in US waters.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

Sure, but before they had a very favourable exchange rate when paying with cash. Now to buy anything there will be an added cost that could easily increase the cost of a $5 item closer to $6.

Not that big of a deal on the odd purchase, but for a family buying a few beverages and a few light meals the difference will add up.

Know it all.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

Sure, but before they had a very favourable exchange rate when paying with cash. Now to buy anything there will be an added cost that could easily increase the cost of a $5 item closer to $6.

Not that big of a deal on the odd purchase, but for a family buying a few beverages and a few light meals the difference will add up.

Bah, I don't think it's a big deal. You can bring your own food on boat if you want (I think, not some border-restricted items I guess). A Canadian family of four traveling on the Clipper has an extra few bucks to splurge anyway. It's a private business, and can carry on business as they see fit. Really, chances are, if you don't buy food/beverage onboard, your fare is being subsidized by those who are, really.

Mike, you can start your own ferry service with CDN rates and transactions of you want.

#59 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Using cash to buy coffee in the US could be an indication that you're a terrorist, according to the FBI...

http://www.prisonpla...t-activity.html

#60 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Our Canadian Passport office does not accept Canadian Cash.

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria Rosebud1.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users