Photo

Robbins Parking

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#101 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:32 PM

^Yes, I remember that incident. It begins this thread. What became of that?

#102 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

^Yes, I remember that incident. It begins this thread. What became of that?

Nothing.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#103 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:10 PM

Why didn't you sue the guy in small claims court?

#104 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:41 PM

Bum crack alert at :35   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xseVvT8y_c0

#105 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,885 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:24 PM

Ha! I got a ticket once buying a parking ticket.

No word of a lie. I park, walk to the pay machine, pay, turn around and see the Commissionaire putting a ticket under my wiper. He was pretty angry when I approached him, told me I was scamming the system.

The rest of my day was actually pretty good, though.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#106 LJ

LJ
  • 12,812 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

I don't mind paying for parking, if I find the charges onerous I will park elsewhere. What I don't like is obvious traps like some of those in the Marketplace piece, those I would get incensed about. Like the one guy that stated he was stopped for like 8 seconds and the guy came up and gave him a ticket. Sort of flies in the face of the parking czar that stated that they allow them a generous grace period.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:19 PM

I don't mind paying for parking, if I find the charges onerous I will park elsewhere. What I don't like is obvious traps like some of those in the Marketplace piece, those I would get incensed about. Like the one guy that stated he was stopped for like 8 seconds and the guy came up and gave him a ticket. Sort of flies in the face of the parking czar that stated that they allow them a generous grace period.

The Robbins lot where I had the guy smash the camera out of my hands, placed a boot immediately on any car that did not have a ticket on the dash.

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-11-21 19-21-37.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#108 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:26 PM

Sometimes the attendants sit in their vehicle at the back of the lot waiting for tickets to expire.

#109 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:29 PM

The Robbins lot where I had the guy smash the camera out of my hands, placed a boot immediately on any car that did not have a ticket on the dash.

That is so cruel, smashing a camera and taking away a persons livelihood.

#110 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:35 PM

Sometimes the attendants sit in their vehicle at the back of the lot waiting for tickets to expire.

Quotas?

#111 LJ

LJ
  • 12,812 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:13 PM

Bingo, on 21 Nov 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

I wonder if they get a portion from every ticket they write?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#112 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:33 AM

I was. I was assaulted by an employee and had my camera knocked out of my hands and to the pavement.

That employee no longer works for Robbins. But Robbins refused to replace my damaged (not beyond repair) camera.

Please give details on this event

#113 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:06 AM

See the first post in this thread.

#114 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

An international student who flew to Saudi Arabia for his father’s funeral and returned to find his BMW had been sold by Kustom Towing has been awarded $14,000 by the Victoria provincial small claims court.

On May 21, 2014, Mohammed Alattas received news that his father was dying. Alattas, who was a student at Royal Roads University and had an apartment in Victoria, wanted to get to his father’s bedside quickly. He bought an airline ticket for the next day, then went to Robbins Parking to arrange payment for parking at one of its lots. Robbins gave him a decal, but Alattas forgot to put it on his car, Judge Adrian Brooks noted in his ruling.

On June 16, Robbins had the car towed away by Kustom Towing. However, for months afterward, Robbins continued to charge Alattas for the parking. “As a result, Mr. Alattas had no suspicion that his car was anywhere but safely parked with Robbins. Unbeknownst to him, and all due to the chain of events set off by his moment of forgetfulness, his 2007 low-mileage BMW, valued at between $14,000 and $19,000, was sold by Kustom for $2,000,” Brooks said.

http://www.timescolo...udent-1.4487126

#115 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

Fair ruling. Logically you'd think that Robbins would check their own files as a last resort before selling the car. I mean, really, how often are people abandoning BMWs?

• Nparker, Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

#116 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:47 PM

Private parking operators seem to take an adversarial approach to their own customers just as a matter of course -- kind of like Canada Post.

#117 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

Fair ruling. Logically you'd think that Robbins would check their own files as a last resort before selling the car. I mean, really, how often are people abandoning BMWs?

Robbins only had the car towed, it was Kustom that sold the car to pay for unpaid storage costs.  But you'd think that Robbins should check records (I'd assume he would have "registered" the license plate of the car) prior to resorting to towing.  It seems like bad business to tow customers who have paid their bill, but failed to display a decal....

• Nparker likes this

#118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:56 PM

Robbins only had the car towed, it was Kustom that sold the car to pay for unpaid storage costs.  But you'd think that Robbins should check records (I'd assume he would have "registered" the license plate of the car) prior to resorting to towing.  It seems like bad business to tow customers who have paid their bill, but failed to display a decal....

It might also be bad business to wash your hands of it.  You have a $10,000+ car, you are just going to give it to Kustom, not have them check back if it's not claimed?

Also, did Kustom also meet their full obligation in listing the car for sale and taking the highest offer?  How does it end up selling for $2,000 (conveniently to a friend of Kustom) when it's worth 5x that?

#119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,885 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:05 PM

Doesn't the law prohibit cars from being sold in this way?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#120 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

Doesn't the law prohibit cars from being sold in this way?

No.  But you have to list it for sale and take the highest price.  I'm not sure if you have to hold the difference (if you get more than the fees owed) in some type of escrow.

EDIT:  Yes, you are supposed to turn over the surplus to the owner:

http://www.bclaws.ca...480_01#section4

Disposition of proceeds of sale

6  (1) From the proceeds of the sale the warehouser must satisfy the warehouse lien and must pay over the surplus, if any, to the person entitled to it.

(2) The warehouser must, when paying over the surplus, deliver to the person to whom the warehouser pays it a statement of account showing how the amount has been computed.

(3) If the surplus is not demanded by the person entitled to it within 10 days after the sale, or if there are different claimants or the rights to it are uncertain, the warehouser must pay the surplus into the Supreme Court on its order.

(4) The order referred to in subsection (3) may

(a) be made on an application without notice to anyone and on the terms and conditions as to costs and otherwise as the court may direct, and

(b) direct to what fund or name the amount of the surplus must be credited.

(5) At the time of paying the amount of the surplus into court the warehouser must file in court a copy of the statement of account showing how the amount has been computed.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users