Robbins Parking

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#141 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

^ Sure about that VHF?

I seem to remember having to clear an unpaid city parking ticket from my credit rating prior to being allowed to renew my mortgage.  (asinine, really, seeing as I'd just given them 60 uninterrupted $2k payments, and they were now trying to claim that I was a poor credit risk over an unpaid $20...)

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#142 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

I'm sure.  If someone put that on your rating you could have it removed.  Only credit-granting agencies can rightfully put a mark on your rating.  That does not mean others do not do it wrongfully.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#143 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:36 AM

CBC did just run a story about private parking tickets (this was commented on in another thread, IIRC), and Equifax claims they don't pursue parking tickets -- full stop. That was news to me.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-lots-1.3851956

Edited by Jill, 15 December 2016 - 07:35 AM.

#144 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:24 AM

To correct my earlier comment, new plates from ICBC are $18.

#145 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:16 AM

If the ticket falls off the dash, just pick it up off the floor and take it in the next day apologetically and they'll fix it. If it falls down from the dash and somehow manages to blow its way out of the car and vanishes, well, come on, that's not their fault.

Yup, I've had that happen. The cancelled the ticket and gave me a little ticket holder thingy to adhere to the windshield.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#146 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

This decision sets up the right incentives, otherwise the situation is rife for exploitation and fraud.  If a tow company can sell goods for way below market value and "get away" with not paying the excess of the charges owed to the rightful owner, there's an incentive for them to fail to sell goods for "fair value" to recoup costs.  They sell it to the mechanic buddy, who then sells it at a huge profit.  Who knows maybe he offers a "kick back" to the towing company?  Which they then get to pocket.  All of a sudden, the tow companies are then "looking" for opportunities to tow cars that are unlikely to be claimed - they could have an incentive to hope that the rightful owner doesn't come forward. 

This guy pursued the matter in court - but how many wouldn't?  Seems like by doing this the whole business is opening itself up to audit and scrutiny.  My eyebrows are raised.

• Love the rock and Midnightly like this

#147 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

If you are parked in violation of the lots terms, as this guy was.  No valid decal displayed.

And they have to advertise it that they are about to sell it.  You see those in the newspaper lots.

I'm not sure newspaper advertising is effective anymore.  How many people don't bother with the paper anymore?  There's a good chance such "ads" go unnoticed.

#148 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:59 AM

I'd say that in the majority of cases, the people involved are fully aware that their seized vehicle or the contents of their storage unit are at risk of auction. The newspaper ad meets a legal obligation.

#149 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:05 PM

I think ALL WAYS  TOWING and KUSTOM TOWING  are the same company

They are all bottom feeders

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#150 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:51 PM

I traded a car in @ Wheaton. Two years later I received a collections notice from a parking company in Vancouver. I was so confused as I rarely was on the mainland at that time.

The car I traded in had my old plates still attached, somebody snagged the plates and had been using them for who knows how long.

I filed a police report, gave the collections company the case # and never heard about it again.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:20 AM

One of VV's members has contacted me to say that he or she called up Kustom Towing and asked to speak to a "scumbag" (his or her words during the call) at the company who'd like to talk about their side of the story. Kustom hung up on the individual. Then Saanich Police called our member and instructed him/her never to call Kustom again and to not come around their property.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#152 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:42 AM

Really? Asking to speak to a scumbag was counterproductive? I hope you've learned your lesson, Rob.

• Mike K., aastra, Rob Randall and 1 other like this

#153 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

One of VV's members has contacted me to say that he or she called up Kustom Towing and asked to speak to a "scumbag" (his or her words during the call) at the company who'd like to talk about their side of the story.

Kustom hung up on the individual. Then Saanich Police called our member and instructed him/her never to call Kustom again and to not come around their property.

"Scumbag" eh! 

That doesn't require much imagination to come up with his, or his name. 

By the way which data base does Saanich PD use to access VV members phone numbers?

Or do they use locators to track all the scanners in use.

Hang on maybe they use the police helicopter to follow VV members out doing their reporting.

:mad:

#154 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

Or what about old fashioned call display
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#155 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

One of VV's members has contacted me to say that he or she called up Kustom Towing and asked to speak to a "scumbag" (his or her words during the call) at the company who'd like to talk about their side of the story. Kustom hung up on the individual. Then Saanich Police called our member and instructed him/her never to call Kustom again and to not come around their property.

None of us know who said what, but if no threats were made, why are the police involved?
  • Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#156 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

Asking to speak to a scumbag was counterproductive?

Methinks it all depends on the tone of voice.

#157 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

None of us know who said what, but if no threats were made, why are the police involved?

Good question. I guess Kustom may have received numerous such calls or visits to their yard since the story broke?

So here's a question, if Kustom and All-ways Towing are the same company, does Saanich contract either of them out as their hook of choice for traffic issues?

Know it all.

#158 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:26 AM

Someone can just phone Saanich non emergency line and ask which tow company has the contract for towing in Saanich

#159 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:29 AM

Pro-tip: don't call them scumbags.

#160 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:30 AM

Pro-tip: don't call them scumbags.

Dirtbags?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users