Photo

The Palladian | Reno

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:20 PM

In one of the [url=http://www.vibrantvictoria.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330:246e4]photos threads[/url:246e4]:

The now completed Soho project with the maybe never to be completed Palladian project behind.

What is up with The Palladian? I can't find any discussion of it here, and it doesn't seem to be coming along all that quickly.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:25 PM

Well they are working on it as I see people there every day but it does seem to be coming along slower than molasses. It was supposed to be completed now but for some reason ther has been a hold up.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:46 PM

I'll take pics this weekend if I remember.
Holden West has some internal shots he posted on the other website.

#4 Urbalist

Urbalist
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:13 PM

The developer took a haircut on another project, and is still sore he bought the top two floors of CityPlace only to discover that Parkside would be built adjacent, and filling their southern views.

So if that's any indication of foresight on The Palladian .....

#5 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:17 PM

I can't believe somebody would buy a condo, let alone two entire floors(!), without doing some serious investigation into what was going to happen to a directly adjacent vacant lot. Yikes.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:20 PM

Those City Place units are very nice and it's not like the view is going to be walled in anytime soon. Maybe he should be pleased it's taken Parkside so long to get going.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:42 PM

South side stairwell:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:34 PM

Yup that has been ripped out now.

It has a whole new look!

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:09 PM

I walk past this project everyday, and I haven't seen any significant progress in months. Methinks financial problems may be at hand...

Still if it even DOES get finished it will be a welcome enhancement to my neighbourhood.

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:12 PM

Is it just me or are the highrise projects the only ones that don't run into financial trouble these days?

#11 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:08 PM

It certainly seems the small developers are having their problems. It may be that the big boys can hire the large construction firms (ie. Campbell) who have better access to the trades and therefore have less problems getting things done. Or perhaps they're simply more competent.

#12 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:04 AM

Is it just me or are the highrise projects the only ones that don't run into financial trouble these days?

I occasionally wonder about this question and it seems to me the problem is in the middle ground.

A person subdividing a large house into three or four suites will probably complete the project because it's relatively simple and there are fewer units to sell before completing the project. Big projects probably get finished because large developers have deep pockets to cover the surprises. In the middle ground, the compexity of the project is rising along with the costs. If things don't unfold as planned (rising construction costs, slow unit sales, etc.) there just isn't all that much money to draw upon.

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:21 AM

Nothing new on the website:

http://core.cybergadgies.com/projects/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#14 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:25 PM

Here's a unit on mls.ca for $308,000 - just a 630 sqft one bedroom. Seems kind of expensive so it must be nice. 11 ft ceilings. says the building will be finished in Jan 07 :lol:

http://www.mls.ca/Pr... ... ID=4909257

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:14 AM

Is there already a thread on this project?

From today's T-C, "Business" section:
Quote:
Palladium project is carrying on

Andrew A. Duffy
Times Colonist

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Don't let the boarded up doors and windows fool you, work at the $10- million Palladian condominium development at 1600 Quadra St. is carrying on, with completion expected in February.

"Construction costs aren't too bad, but it is going a little slower than we had wanted," said developer Keyvan Shojania.

Sales have also been going well, he said, noting 20 of the 29 units have been sold with the rest being held back until show suites are completed in the new year.

There will also be close to 7,500 square feet of commercial space available -- better suited for office than retail. It is to be listed soon.

Shojania said the buyers tend to be local, in their 30s and 40s, who want to live and work in the downtown core.

"Some are buying to live, others for an investment. It's about half and half," he said, noting the development should help revitalize what had been a dead area of the city. "I definitely think this will be a catalyst for change, there will be more eyes on the street and people living in an unused area, and that should bring everything up."
© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2006

It has a whole new look!

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:18 AM

On this topic they are finally beginning the construction of the new addition to the building on Mason Street. It will directly abut the cinder block wall of the Soho. I really like the Soho actually. It was built quickly. Looks decent enough and has brought people into an area that was in desperate need of residents.

Mason Street will look pretty neat once both of these projects are completed.

It has a whole new look!

#17 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:17 PM

carrying on from the other thread, the name was swapped over to follow/match(i dont know the right word to go here) the arched windows.

#18 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:35 AM

Windows are going in, they've been working quite a bit on it lately.

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

Lots of activity today. The big front stairs are being repaired. I hope they keep the Nelson's Music sign.

Aria will still be finished first. ;)

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:32 AM

The funny thing about the stairs being worked on is that they replastered them about 10 months ago and then last week they bashed it all off again and are now redoing it. This is the third thing I have seen them redo at this site. Their profit must be at about 5 percent by now.

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users