Seagull situation downtown

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Aren't "urban" gulls the ones flying around downtown? Or are they suburban gulls who commute into downtown?

They have already stated, until we get an LRT, few are willing to commute into town.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

We could encourage more eagles to live in the city since they prey on seaguls

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Ha! On Friday evening a friend of mine was bombed on Wharf. I was standing right beside her but was totally spared ...for now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

Marcie Callewaert - Reason number 1 why not to park under a phone pole in Victoria
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

I saw a cop car absolutely covered with gull crap the other day, made me smile. Was wondering through where the cop could have been stopped for long enough to get so much. It wasn't just a splat or two, it was a LOT.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#46 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

They need to put all the wiring underground, cut down all the trees on downtown streets, string barb wire on all ledges, then you have a seagull and pigeon cull, or just buy a white car.

Marcie Callewaert - Reason number 1 why not to park under a phone pole in Victoria

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

I saw a cop car absolutely covered with gull crap the other day, made me smile. Was wondering through where the cop could have been stopped for long enough to get so much. It wasn't just a splat or two, it was a LOT.

It only takes one bird to make something look like a lot of gull crap. It's gross.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

All of a sudden I am starting to like covered parkades.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#49 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

All of a sudden I am starting to like covered parkades.

Just figured that out now? :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#50 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Yup it's that time of year again

This is the corner of Douglas and Yates - disgusting!

I know red and white are our national colours, but I don't think this is the way we should display it!

#51 theboss

theboss
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

Funny to come across this thread.

I can actually hear the gulls up on the roof of my apartment building moving around right now.

This is the worst it's been since I moved here about 10 years ago. I don't have access to the roof to confirm, but I'm fairly certain they've built some sort of nest. They're consistently moving around on the roof at all times of the day. Not to mention the amount of crap they've been splattering all over our car downstairs. About as bad as the car down by Sports Traders, but on a weekly basis!

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

Oh you can be certain they've got a nest up there. And should you find yourself up there to investigate expect to get attacked. They're pretty feisty when it comes to protecting their nests.

If this year is any indication we should expect to see an even "busier" year next year. Yay.

Know it all.

#53 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

1. Approach the seagull from below. Most seagulls will fly in small circles in one area.
2. Right-click on the seagull.
3. Select "Target" when prompted.
4. Left-click anywhere

#54 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

The nesting period has been finished for about one month now all young birds that hatched this year are fledged and flying now.
Nest are not being used at this point

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

...some better than others apparently.

To be honest seagulls are the major reason why a downtown condo does not appeal to me. These birds love the rooftops of higher buildings and I don't care to spend $300k on a unit that comes with a 5AM wake-up call every morning and constant splatters of the white stuff on your car, balcony ...and guests.

For those who may not know in the early morning hours downtown Victoria sounds like a thousand seagull muezzins gone wild.

Know it all.

#56 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

^ That pile of feathers looks like someone's been playing Sparky's game downtown :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#57 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

I'm not so sure they are done nesting as every day I look across the way to a neighbouring building and see two grey youngsters in the same spot on the same building with momma gull.

The funny thing is that they are a protected species and once they have a nest you are not legally allowed to interfere with their nest in any way. Although, you can be successful in abating them and preventing them from nesting on your building in the first place.

They sure do cause a ruckus and a mess in the summer months though, but thankfully they are not around in the winter months.

I do enjoy watching the gulls panic when the odd eagle comes around!

#58 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

^ That pile of feathers looks like someone's been playing Sparky's game downtown :P

:)

#59 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

CFAX had a guy from Avalon California on this morning who practices falconry to manage nuisance birds. Eco friendly, PC way of dealing with it. They raptors just chase the birds away, they don't kill them.

Didn't hear the end of the interview - not sure how it would scale for a city of Victoria's size. Think the tourists would enjoy watching the falconers.

#60 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

^You can be sure that there would be at least one who would be screaming and yelling and complaining about it, and getting it cancelled.

Golf courses have tried using raptors to get rid of geese, there is always some eco-wacko that comes out of the woodwork to put a stop to it.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users