• Please log in to reply
9629 replies to this topic

#3301 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

There are only a handful of jurisdictions in the world (relatively speaking) that fully shield drivers, Vancouver not being one of them.

They're actively working on that just now, though (gosh!  I thought years ago after a knife assault, those would be installed by now)

http://www.theglobea.../article567317/

He said he’s endured a fair share of bad treatment from his passengers over the years. An elderly woman hit him in the head with an umbrella after he referred to her as a senior.

Hope he's learned his lesson on that one.  In other news: 

A new smartphone application is being launched at the end of March that transit users can use to report violence on the system. Alternatively, passengers will be able to text a new phone number. The alert will dispatch transit police, or the closest police force, in hopes of catching perpetrators.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...buses-1.2573767

sigh! here's a sad incident:  http://www.vancitybu...sit-bus-driver/

jbw

#3302 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

A popular BC Transit driver retired Friday. Stan Yaxley celebrated his 34 years of driving for BC Transit and will celebrate his retirement helping others and planning a motorcycle trip. 

http://www.cheknews....d=3408257083001

#3303 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,511 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

Bus drivers denounce ‘distracted driving’ plan from BC Transit

Victoria Bus Drivers are asking the BC Superintendent of Motor Vehicles to overrule a BC Transit plan to force drivers to use hand-held microphones to announce stops.

The drivers say their company now wants them to call out every stop by using handheld, corded microphones attached to a public address system.

It stems from a Human Rights complaint from the Canadian Federation for the Blind.

[...]

http://www.cknw.com/...ivers-denounce/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3304 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

I've always found that so useful in other cities.

But hey, if drivers complain perhaps that will push BCT to install electronic signage on buses alerting passengers to the current stop and the upcoming stop. And what technology does that require, you ask? GPS? So that could lead to real-time scheduling? In 2014? Hey, now that's an idea :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3305 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

Such is the state of labour relations.  I think it was only to be for major stops.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3306 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

I've always found that so useful in other cities.

But hey, if drivers complain perhaps that will push BCT to install electronic signage on buses alerting passengers to the current stop and the upcoming stop. And what technology does that require, you ask? GPS? So that could lead to real-time scheduling? In 2014? Hey, now that's an idea :)

No kidding.  I guess with GPS on your cellphone, you can pretty much follow along as you move along the bus route.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3307 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

Such is the state of labour relations.  I think it was only to be for major stops.

If you're blind, I'd of thought any destination stop you needed would be your 'major' stop (as you'd not want to risk adding two or more blocks' navigating the sidewalks and crosswalks by getting off too early or too late).    I disagree with the handheld microphone concept of course as a two-ounce headset would amply suffice and improve the safety aspect.

A compromise might be for the blind to announce their need for this service upon entering the bus, and their passes might be programmed to trigger this alert if they're not paying with cash (as if a blind person's arrival might not be obvious, but I suppose not so obvious in all instances). 

editted to add:  Not just applies to the legally 'blind' either.  Your vision could be bad enough (cataracts?) to not recognize areas or read street signs yet be far better than the 200/20 (with corrective lenses) definition of "legally blind".

jbw

ps.  While I anticipate 99%+ of all bus trips do not have a blind person as a passenger, I completely agree with the other sentiment:  calling out stops on all trips is useful for any passengers, especially those who are not regular commuters but just out shopping, visiting or going to an infrequent appointment for say medical or dental reasons (or a rainy, window fogged day where really, you just can't see out clearly as a passenger).

Edited by James Bay walker, 10 April 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#3308 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

I don't understand. In the nearly 30+ years of riding buses in Victoria drivers have always, when asked, called out a particular stop for anyone who asks when boarding. The current buses all have PA systems and these are what they use to communicate this information when the bus arrives at the requested stop.

Love to see the automated GPS system implemented in conjunction with an "estimated wait time" app for devices and indicators at the bus stops as well...

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#3309 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

In downtown Vancouver, at least, the bus stops are announced by an automated voice but I guess that technology is years away for us island dwellers.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3310 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

We're nearly two decades behind progressive transit systems. Automated signage at major bus stops and GPS were plans BCT announced in the late 90's. Then the plans just slipped away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3311 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:47 AM

If BC Transit drivers cant talk on a PA while driving then they have a problem.

Tour Bus drivers dont have any problem talking while driving in cities and highways all over the  world...Except of course the tour bus driver who was convicted yesterday of killing a pedestrian in a crosswalk that everyone but him saw

#3312 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

Tour Bus drivers dont have any problem talking while driving in cities and highways all over the  world

All the tour bus drivers I know of use hands-free headsets with microphones. The issue as I understand it here is that our buses are equipped with hand-held, wired microphones that look like 70's CB radios to me.

And for the record, they do talk on the PA occasionally while driving. Part of the issue here is that currently, as a regular rider, I pay attention to the very rare time the driver makes some sort of announcement. If they start announcing stops every 30-45 seconds I will start to ignore them altogether. An LCD screen that shows what the next stop is combined with the current practice of blind users asking for a stop as they board would work much better.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#3313 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Tour Bus drivers dont have any problem talking while driving in cities and highways all over the  world...Except of course the tour bus driver who was convicted yesterday of killing a pedestrian in a crosswalk that everyone but him saw

I guess one thing though, tour bus drivers are not stopping every few blocks to let people on and off, don't have to watch cameras for upper-floor double-deckers etc., don't generally have to police incidents like idiots causing trouble.

#3314 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

What a dumb idea. As if bus drivers don't have enough distractions. Why not serve up some delicious crumpets and jam during those long traffic lights while you're at it.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3315 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

Create shared bus and bike lanes on a main traffic corridor. Have bus drivers make announcements as they pull into and out of bus stops. Watch as hilarity ensues. Or we could just move BC Transit into the 21st century where all of this can be trivially handled with mainstream technology.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#3316 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

I'm thinking with current smart-phone technology, none of this is necessary.  Ya, not everyone has a smartphone, but increasingly we do.  Would any of us dare travel without one?  Because it's only those unfamiliar with a route that would need stop info.  I really think this is a non-issue.  Some how we got through the last 60 years without stop info.

#3317 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

I'm thinking with current smart-phone technology, none of this is necessary.  Ya, not everyone has a smartphone, but increasingly we do.  Would any of us dare travel without one?  Because it's only those unfamiliar with a route that would need stop info.  I really think this is a non-issue.  Some how we got through the last 60 years without stop info.

Would the people who need the service (the poor with marginal eyesight, the blind), have a smartphone, though?

jbw

#3318 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

Would the people who need the service (the poor with marginal eyesight, the blind), have a smartphone, though?

jbw

Increasingly, they do.  Completely blind, maybe no.  I think you'll find the blind have already figured it all out though.  They ask the driver on entry, to alert them to their stop.

#3319 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

If this is a reaction to a human rights complaint then I'm not sure what can be done here other than to comply. Unless the union will challenge the decision, but it seems as though they will be challenging BCT and not the human rights tribunal (or whatever it's called).

Know it all.

#3320 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

If this is a reaction to a human rights complaint then I'm not sure what can be done here other than to comply. Unless the union will challenge the decision, but it seems as though they will be challenging BCT and not the human rights tribunal (or whatever it's called).

I'd like to see this ruling.  Sounds fishy to me.  Let's face it, BCT are terrible labour managers, they might have just made this all up.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)