BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9635 replies to this topic

#3541 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

Thats exactly what I was attwmpting to voice the searches will be based soley on the looks of the person and judgments will be made that way

Even if you don't agree with the searches, you'll likely agree this would be the most effective way of finding contraband.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3542 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

Its not contraband it is a product free for anyone 19 and older to purchase and to possess
It is not illegal to carry it on a public transportation system

#3543 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Its not contraband it is a product free for anyone 19 and older to purchase and to possess
It is not illegal to carry it on a public transportation system

It might not be "illegal", but on this day it is not permitted.  Like how you can not consume outside food in a movie theatre, or pick up the goats at the petting zoo, or take a packet of cigarettes into the arena, or wear your street shoes at the bowling alley.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3544 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

Show me a law and act or a bylaw that is enacted as law stating that alcohol is not allowed to be transported by persons using a bus
Not pwrmitted is bull crap if an old man and his old wife are going home on a bus and they have a bottle of wine with them will they be asked to leave the bus

#3545 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

Show me a law and act or a bylaw that is enacted as law stating that alcohol is not allowed to be transported by persons using a bus

I'm just sort of playing the devil's advocate there, I don't like it either.  But I'm just not sure a law is required in order to implement this ban.  Buses don't allow dogs, people with large or dangerous packages, open-top drinks, loud stereos etc.  

The troubling part is the police searches with no just cause, not really the rule. 

#3546 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

I am personally not a fan of the policy either and think it would fail a court challenge if you could prove that you are preventing transit-dependent populations from basic mobility, but I understand why it is exists.

#3547 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,679 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Shouldn't we blame ourselves for this situation? In years prior public transit on Canada Day was an absolute s***show. We may not like the current policy but it was introduced out of a basic necessity for order and not some Orwellian anti-rights agenda.

Heck, just look at the madness that is Canada Day. Our society can't behave itself with a little bit of alcohol meanwhile we complain that we can't drink on the streets or buy liquor at the store past 11PM.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3548 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Shouldn't we blame ourselves for this situation? In years prior public transit on Canada Day was an absolute s***show. We may not like the current policy but it was introduced out of a basic necessity for order and not some Orwellian anti-rights agenda.

Then board a few buses and walk up and down, but no illegal searches.  And then DOWNTOWN, around the harbour, exercise zero-tolerance.  Take the booze away, ticket the offenders, and offenders with no ID or that cant prove their identity, take them to the police station to sort it out.

#3549 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,679 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

They'll be doing that too, I'm sure, or at least that's what they have been doing in years prior.

There must be something like 250 buses operating throughout the city on the afternoon/evening of the 1st. I can't imagine it's easy to patrol that many vehicles without having a blanket rule in effect warning riders that their bags may be searched for alcohol on that day. If you appear to be 30 years old and intoxicated, your bag may be searched. If you appear to be 20 and you're not displaying any signs of intoxication your bag likely won't be searched.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3550 LJ

LJ
  • 12,771 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

Canada Day July 1

If you are between the ages of 16 and 24

And you appear to be having a good time such as by laughing

And if you have a skateboard or an iPod

The cops will board the Bus and pat you down and take away any legally purchased booze you may have in your bag.

I would say if you are 16 you probably don't have any legally purchased booze.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3551 CriticalMass

CriticalMass
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Kinda curious how BC Transit is OK trampling on people's rights in regards to illegal search and seizure. Yet they cannot manage to activate the onboard cameras because of their perceived privacy concerns.

#3552 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

I would say if you are 16 you probably don't have any legally purchased booze.

I agree but it still doesnt give anyone the right to search you to see if you are carrying booze only because your age is 16.

• http likes this

#3553 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

10359156_812118205474520_599688389916038

#3554 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

What it should say is

"No transporting wine or beer to your friend's civil backyard BBQ, but please, if you're a bit drunk and have some permanent markers on you, come aboard and draw penises on the seats"

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3555 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

What it should say is

"No transporting wine or beer to your friend's civil backyard BBQ, but please, if you're a bit drunk and have some permanent markers on you, come aboard and draw penises on the seats"

5g4.jpg

• sebberry likes this

#3556 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,679 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Haha...

Know it all.

#3557 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

The widely reported Canada Day alcohol ban on transit buses may have had the unintended effect of under-age drinkers imbibing before heading into the downtown core yesterday... 

Cfax1070 reports that Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner was "shocked" by the amount of intoxicated youngsters downtown and at the harbour, and left him wondering about the absence of parental supervision.

Times Colonist: "Elsner said the biggest concern was underage drinking. He said any highly intoxicated youth would be treated medically and taken home to their parents, not to police cells. Officers had several roadblocks around the core looking for drunk drivers."

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.7MmsktTL.dpuf

10494716_812585538761120_484223417401676

#3558 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,679 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

It was an absolute gong show is what it was. The vast majority of revelers appeared to be underage youth, many quite visibly intoxicated.

I took the bus yesterday and despite carrying several bags none were searched. Nobody's bags were searched, in fact.

These kids would be getting drunk whether or not the ban on buses was in effect. But the nice thing was there weren't copious heaps of alcohol bottles strewn about as in previous years.

Know it all.

#3559 CriticalMass

CriticalMass
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

I saw that buses were being stopped on Douglas a block or so past the DQ and being boarded by transit and police for searching.

From past experience I stayed a few blocks away from the inner harbour gong show which also allowed me to escape the pandemonium of getting out of town after the fireworks.

#3560 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

I'm concerned that kids aren't very creative.  I mean, it was a Jon & Roy show (not exactly the kind of music 17-year-olds dig) and a 20-minute fireworks show.  Big whoop, not sure why the kids bothered showing up in such masses.  I'm looking for more creativity.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users