BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9626 replies to this topic

#8181 CriticalMass

CriticalMass
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 10:01 PM

78 total trips canceled over the system on Saturday so far. Stay tuned

On a day that already has reduced service that’s brutal. 

But according to BC Transit and I quote. 

BC Transit apologizes for the inconvenience this may cause our customers. 

We are working diligently to avoid future service disruptions.”

Thats laughable 

If it’s already cancelled Friday evening means they had no intention of working diligently Friday evening or Saturday morning to find drivers to work extra to drive these trips. 

Edited by CriticalMass, 21 January 2022 - 10:05 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#8182 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 07:32 AM

Deadly covid plague hazard reduction tips for bus riders AND drivers:

1.  All those 'Not In Service' Buses heading EMPTY downtown?  Re-Label them as heading downtown, and, pickup riders.  (Takes the pressure and crowding off the route labelled regular buses heading downtown.)  I've been waiting for this or that bus heading downtown and seen 2, 3, or 4 empty 'Not in Service' buses zip by, and by the time my bus shows up we're crowding in like sardines.

I assume most of them don't really have time to do that before they are scheduled to leave from Downtown (and making them leave earlier to be able to do this would require either forcing overtime or cutting their last trip). If they did it would probably be some kind of "we'll stop at Hillside and Legislature. If you want on/off anywhere else wait for your bus." so if would mostly be pointless anyway, especially since if that's happening people would wonder why the buses heading up McKenzie to UVic can't pick them up as well and at that point just make an extra 26 trip.

#8183 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 07:35 AM

78 total trips canceled over the system on Saturday so far. Stay tuned

On a day that already has reduced service that’s brutal. 

But according to BC Transit and I quote. 

BC Transit apologizes for the inconvenience this may cause our customers. 

We are working diligently to avoid future service disruptions.”

Thats laughable 

If it’s already cancelled Friday evening means they had no intention of working diligently Friday evening or Saturday morning to find drivers to work extra to drive these trips. 

There's been "Update, trip will run" posted before. I consider this useful to be posted as early as possible. For example with the 50s, the first one is 7:02 getting to Uptown at 7:22. What if I work at Uptown at 7:30? Then I'd need to take the 6:40 one but if BC Transit didn't post the alert until they knew for sure the 7:02 wouldn't run it might not be until 6:50 and now I'm late for work. 

#8184 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 07:43 AM

I'm guessing weekends are particularly bad by the way. Without access to previous schedules it's hard to really prove this but I think most routes have reduced service from what they used to on weekends (13 just isn't running on Saturday anymore, it used to do like 4 trips back and forth). It isn't much though, just a route used to have 15 minute service now it's 20 but through the day they end up with a few less trips. 

The only cut weekday service I've noticed is the 9 stops earlier in the evening (used to run until like 8:30 now is basically done at 6) although there might be other routes with reduced weekday evening service like that just not as widespread and noticeable

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8185 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 08:28 AM

Man, a lot of angry people out there over these cancellations.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8186 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 09:47 AM

Yeah because alot of people can't afford a car and have a job where they can't work for home.

#8187 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 10:28 AM

BC Transit Announces Details of the Coming Electronic Fare Collection System

BC Transit announces exciting steps forward in its project to implement an electronic fare collection system across the province. Today, BC Transit celebrates several project milestones, sharing details of the coming system, announcing the system’s vendor, and releasing the brand that represents the system, Umo (pronounced “you-mo”).

The innovative new system will replace end of life technology and equipment, and introduce contactless tap payment methods that will improve the transit experience. New payment methods will include mobile app, debit card, credit card, mobile wallet, and reloadable smart card, providing riders with the ability to pick the best payment method for their lifestyle and travel habits. The new contactless payment methods will increase access to transit by allowing riders to use items they carry every day, removing barriers like requiring them to pre-purchase tickets and passes or carry exact change.

The coming system also introduces a new stored value feature, providing riders with further abilities to select the best option for their travel needs. Riders using the mobile app and reloadable smart card will be able to load a stored value balance to their account to be drawn from as they ride, in addition to being able to purchase any of the existing fare products. Riders will be able to easily purchase their desired fare product with their mobile device, through a new web portal, or at a retailer and board the bus by simply scanning their mobile device or tapping their card. Cash will continue to be accepted for those riders who prefer to use it, but it is expected most riders will find one of the new payment methods a more convenient option.

Other benefits of the electronic fare collection system will include:

Enabling seamless interregional transit by allowing riders to travel across the province with one payment method
Improving onboard cleanliness by reducing farebox touchpoints with the implementation of contactless payments
Improving service reliability by reducing the demand on transit operators to visually validate and administer fare products aboard the bus
Increasing ridership by utilizing the electronic system’s tools to administer promotions and new programs

The new system will be implemented in transit systems and interregional routes in two phases, initially enabling mobile app and reloadable smart card payment methods before payment by credit card, debit card, and mobile wallets will be enabled. The Victoria Regional Transit System has been selected for the system’s pilot project and first transit system implementation and can expect to see the system come on board by fall 2022. Other transit systems and interregional routes scheduled for system implementation include Agassiz-Harrison, Campbell River, Central Fraser Valley, Chilliwack, Comox Valley Regional, Cowichan Valley Regional, Cowichan Valley Commuter, Cranbrook, Dawson Creek, Fort St. John, Fraser Valley Express, Hope Regional, Kamloops, Kelowna Regional, Kitimat, North Okanagan Connector, Pemberton Valley, Port Alberni Regional, Port Edward, Powell River Regional, Prince George, Prince Rupert, Quesnel, Regional District of Nanaimo, Skeena Regional, South Okanagan Connector, South Okanagan-Similkameen, Squamish, Sunshine Coast, Terrace Regional, Vernon Regional, Whistler, and West Kootenay.

After a successful negotiated request for proposals process, BC Transit has entered into an agreement with Cubic Transportation Systems, Inc. (Cubic) for their Umo platform that will power the system. In addition to their innovative product, Cubic will bring their nearly 20-years of experience supporting fare collection in British Columbia to the project as the long-time vendor for TransLink’s Compass Card network, used in Metro Vancouver.

The Electronic Fare Collection System Project is funded through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program. This project is being cost-shared with the Government of Canada contributing 50 per cent of eligible costs, the Province of British Columbia contributing 40 per cent, and the project’s local government partners contributing the remaining 10 per cent. The total cost for this project is $23,200,000.

Quotes

The Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Infrastructure and Communities – “Innovation is key to improving the user experience across public transit systems. BC Transit’s Electronic Fare Collection System will allow a more flexible, efficient and secure means of payment that increases user convenience and ridership throughout British Columbia. Our Government is proud to contribute $13.4 million to this interregional transit project.”

Rob Fleming, Minister for Transportation and Infrastructure – “Modernization initiatives like this are important as we look to rebuild ridership to pre-pandemic levels and grow our public transportation system in the years to come. With the use of cash in sharp decline everywhere, efficient and convenient electronic fare payment options are the way of the future.”

Erinn Pinkerton, BC Transit President and Chief Executive Officer – “We are excited to be sharing news of the transformational electronic fare collection system project that will make selecting transit as your mode of choice more convenient and accessible. The innovative payment methods that will be enabled by the system are items that British Columbians carry on them every day. Whether someone is a daily rider, occasional rider, or haven’t taken their first trip yet, Umo will make their trip easier.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8188 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 10:40 AM

No time frame?

#8189 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 11:08 AM

It says fall 2022

#8190 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 11:13 AM

No time frame?

It says fall 2022

So probably not before December 20, 2022.  ;)

#8191 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 01:05 PM

Good news. However, I hope they can integrate this system with Translink's Compass Card system of the Metro Vancouver, as well as BC Ferries.

In Ontario, one can use the Presto card to board the subway/bus in Toronto proper (TTC), and then use the same card on all Ontario government's GO system, including the commuter trains and buses, as well as the Pearson Airport/Union Station (UP) train system. Presto is even extended to some cities outside Greater Toronto, such as the local transit system in Hamilton, etc.. British Columbia should be able to do the same if this province wants a more efficient transportation network throughout the province in the future.

Edited by Vin, 26 January 2022 - 01:06 PM.

#8192 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 January 2022 - 03:44 PM

Perhaps but I wouldn’t call that a priority. Not a huge deal to have to have two apps on your phone

#8193 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,034 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 03:53 PM

I would not be opposed to a free bus on both sides. As long as the free fare is only used by those going to and from the ferry (so express buses). Then just add $3 to every ferry walk on fare to finance it.

The free bus fare can’t really be abused when it only serves the terminals.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 January 2022 - 03:53 PM.

#8194 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 03:57 PM

Perhaps but I wouldn’t call that a priority. Not a huge deal to have to have two apps on your phone

wouldn't even really need two. If you want to pay with your smartphone the app and mobile wallet are both listed as options. I agree the app working with Ferries/Translink would be nice but I think most people who would pay by app likely already use Google/Apple Pay anyway so also agree it doesn't need to be a priority

• Matt R. likes this

#8195 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:17 PM

Why not just tap with a credit card?

#8196 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:21 PM

Probably too much delay?

Know it all.

#8197 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,034 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:22 PM

Why not just tap with a credit card?

3 things.

#1 it’s harder for the system to have fare groups (ie. discount, monthly)

#2 with no stored value it’s hard for the system to understand where and when a card has already been used. ie. if you tap on with your credit card but then transfer it can’t know you paid your fare at last tap

#3. Transit doesn’t get enough valuable customer usage data

The key with the transit specific card is that it keeps data right onboard.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 January 2022 - 04:24 PM.

• Vin likes this

#8198 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:24 PM

It also takes 5 seconds with a landline or wifi connection to a high speed router.

Every passenger would be taking 10 or more seconds to tap their Visa from a terminal on a bus. That's a no-go.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#8199 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:46 PM

Credit card is an option

New payment methods will include mobile app, debit card, credit card, mobile wallet, and reloadable smart card,

Personally easier access. Getting my credit or debit card would involve taking my wallet out, getting to the card, tapping it. With any of the mobile related payments I just take my phone out of my pocket and tap it.

• Matt R. likes this

#8200 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:57 PM

Probably too much delay?

Delay? What delay.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users