Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#8161 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:08 AM

I don't think there's a way to get people working both AM and PM rush without splits. When the "rush" is is different for every route. 61s start their rush at like 5:30 AM while UVic routes are 7:30. Afternoon also lasts from like 3-6:30. Getting from depot to start of route would be included in their shift as would any other travel time (sometimes routes come into town then go to Dockyard to be a 26 for example which has travel time involved).

Let's say the first 61 of the day. It leaves Sooke and Shields at 5:01 AM. According to Google Transit getting to the stop at 5:00 AM (I assume they're supposed to get there a little earlier but at this time of day I don't think it matters) it takes 26 minutes. The route is scheduled to be completed at 6:13 so that would be an hour 39 minutes of their shift already. They get a 5-10 minute break (which I would say is needed, otherwise buses that fall late will just fall later and later behind)so hour 49 minutes.

The problem with this is there's a ton of buses coming in but they don't need that many leaving. They can assign some of them to routes like the 4 and 14/15 trips that start downtown. 

The first 61 of the afternoon is 3:38. That's a little over 10 hours after the first 61 starts so obviously whoever does the first 61 leaving Sooke can't do the first 61 leaving downtown without a split.

I don't think requiring drivers to be mechanics would work too well either. That's now requiring two skillsets one of which requires schooling to get (unless BC Tranist wants to spend time and money doing what Camosun will do for them) so if anything that would probably cause less people to even apply for bus drivers. 

Obviously I used a bit of an extreme case here but even say the 4. During the rush it has trips that start at Douglas/Kings so like 5 minutes to get from the depot. The first one of the day is 7:01 and gets to Uvic at 7:20. Uvic peak afternoon starts around 3 (different for all the routes for some reason) but that is still only like 1 trip downtown and 1 back to UVic before they hit 8 hours. Even if we push it back to the 8:18 trip, their last trip would probably be done around 4:30-5, while peak is still ongoing.

If peak was shorter it might work but because it seems the major jobs around here start between 7 and 9 and we roll from school getting out at 3 to work ending from 4-6 I don't think there's a way, even if there was something else for drivers to do during the day, to get someone doing both AM and PM rush with an 8 hour day and no split shift. Even if it's possible for some drivers I don't think it's possible for the amount we need driving during rush hours. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:36 AM

Have you considered becoming a transit planner?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8163 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,927 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:40 AM

At least part-time.  Drive the am rush, then come into the office and plan.  While riding the Peleton/charger.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 December 2021 - 10:42 AM.

#8164 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:10 PM

probably don't have the qualifications for it

#8165 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 02:38 PM

Maybe we should get rid of bus service altogether and then we would have more bicycle riders. Keep some wheel trans for really handicapped people but everyone else needs to be using a bicycle. For sure UVic tudents should be only riding bicycles.

#8166 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,927 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 02:57 PM

Improved service to Victoria International Airport and improvements to the highest performing bus routes on the Saanich Peninsula appear among the yet-to-be approved short-term priorities for regional bus service.

Looking ahead, BC Transit plans call for a full Peninsula Rapid Bus Line that would eventually see 15-minute service from 7 a.m to 7 p.m., seven days a week connecting Victoria’s Parliament District with Swartz Bay in the long term.

Senior transit planner Levi Megenbir presented an updated Peninsula Local Area Transit Plan to North Saanich council earlier this month and is also due to share the information with Central Saanich and Sidney.

https://www.vicnews....n-transit-plan/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 January 2022 - 02:57 PM.

#8167 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 04:04 PM

short-term

I should go and check how many of the yet to be implemented "short term priorities" there are

#8168 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 04:29 PM

Apparently it's only really a 2021 thing they started using. Some short terms not currently implemented 

Route 40 Dockyard/Uvic via McKenzie/Admirals

24 Admirals Walk Tillicum Mall

Expand Dockyard capacity

6 AB retire

25 Maplewood Royal Oak Exchange (replaces 6AB service)

Royal Oak Exchange expansion

address 35 constraints 

Short term currently met

53 extended to VGH

Medium term currently met

Introduce midday service to 46

so they've met the same amount of "mid term" goals as they have "short term"

#8169 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 07:44 AM

since I've been curious what they'll do about the colours (they go in sequence, remembering to leave space for 16, 17 and 76 which aren't running right now 1 and 43 have the same colour, 2 and 46, 3 and 47, 4 and 48, etc)

They used the same purple as the 9 and 53. Nothing seems to have changed. Guess they'll just use random colours for new routes. 

#8170 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:16 PM

BC Transit and the Victoria Regional Transit Commission, in collaboration with the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, are announcing the launch of the new route 64 East Sooke/Beecher Bay/Langford, which made its first trip today, January 4, 2022.

This route offers weekday service between East Sooke and Langford Exchange via Beecher Bay, providing an important connection between the Scia’new First Nation (Beecher Bay) and Victoria.

Below are quotes from several dignitaries:

Chief Russ Chipps, Scia’new (Beecher Bay) First Nation:

“We have worked for a very long time to bring bus service to our community. We are very excited that it is now going to be a reality. We want to thank all the people who supported us along the way, including our Western Communities neighbours, the CRD, the Province, and BC Transit. It will be a game changer for some of our community members and will bring them added support for building successful lives. Hychqa.”

Rob Fleming, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure:

“This new BC Transit service through Beecher Bay will improve access for the Scia’new First Nation and for others who live in the area and along the route. Connecting communities by providing climate-friendly transportation options is what public transit is all about.”

Erinn Pinkerton, President & CEO, BC Transit:

“This is an exciting day for BC Transit as this expanded service provides an important connection between these communities. Access to public transit has a tremendous impact on our communities, and is often a barrier for many. While there is still much work to be done to support Indigenous communities across the province going forward, this collaboration removes the barrier of access and will help the community prosper. We all play a part in ensuring every customer feels welcome, safe and supported by BC Transit, and we look forward to welcoming riders on board this new service.”

Susan Brice, Chair, Victoria Regional Transit Commission:

“The establishment of this route is an important step to increasing connectivity within Greater Victoria and providing a new transportation option for the Scia’new (Beecher Bay) First Nation. After extensive planning and engagement with local governments, stakeholders and Indigenous groups, it’s great to see this new route in service.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8171 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 06:02 PM

Something I've noticed that I don't see mentioned anywhere in the seasonal summary, 75 is now running the full route almost all day. the 6:30 PM trip is the first to be interlined leaving Saanichton and the 7:00 PM 30 is the first trip leaving downtown to do so. This seems odd as it requires extra drivers which we know are in demand and this time of year there is very few 30/31-75 trips I would say should have been full length 75 based on ridership I see. 

#8172 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:06 PM

seems like today is the first day in 2 months with no trip cancellations (at least official). I guess they did manage to find balance between providing service and their limited drivers. A 70 trip did run 15 minutes late but it still did run at least. 

#8173 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:53 AM

(Because it personally benefits me) One thing that BCT should do is re-instate the UVic-Swartz Bay route on Friday and Sunday nights...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#8174 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 10:52 AM

seems like today is the first day in 2 months with no trip cancellations (at least official). I guess they did manage to find balance between providing service and their limited drivers. A 70 trip did run 15 minutes late but it still did run at least. 

today had a 26 cancellation

#8175 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 10:55 AM

(Because it personally benefits me) One thing that BCT should do is re-instate the UVic-Swartz Bay route on Friday and Sunday nights...

I wish they'd bring back the 16 too. Traveling along Saanich for literally no one to get on or off until Quadra/McKenzie anyway is just annoying. Plus transferring between anything that uses Carey/Ravine (30, 31, 70) for the Uptown stop and the 26 is really annoying (a little better now than 26 Uptown Only is actually scheduled but last semester I never wanted to rely on it since they sometimes just didn't show up on Nextride despite running for some reason.

#8176 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 10:34 AM

I think most communities that have more than 1 or 2 bus routes are planned to get Next Ride within the year https://www.bctransi...d=1529715624473

• January 2022 – Cowichan Valley
  • February 2022 – Port Alberni
  • February 2022 – Campbell River
  • Spring 2022 – Fraser Valley Transit Systems
  • Spring 2022 – Vernon Regional
  • Spring 2022 – Shuswap Regional
  • Spring 2022 – South Okanagan-Similkameen
  • Spring 2022 – Dawson Creek
  • Spring 2022 – Fort St. John
  • Spring 2022 – Powell River Regional Transit System
  • Summer 2022 – Sunshine Coast
  • Summer 2022 – Prince George
  • Summer 2022 – Kitimat, Skeena Regional and Terrace Regional
  • Summer 2022 – Prince Rupert/Port Edward
  • Summer 2022 – Cranbrook
  • Summer 2022 – Kimberley
  • Summer 2022 – Elk Valley
  • Summer 2022 – Columbia Valley
  • Summer 2022 – Creston Valley
  • Summer 2022 – West Kootenay

#8177 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 11:48 AM

I used it last night! It’s such a great tool.

Know it all.

#8178 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:34 PM

Deadly covid plague hazard reduction tips for bus riders AND drivers:

1.  All those 'Not In Service' Buses heading EMPTY downtown?  Re-Label them as heading downtown, and, pickup riders.  (Takes the pressure and crowding off the route labelled regular buses heading downtown.)  I've been waiting for this or that bus heading downtown and seen 2, 3, or 4 empty 'Not in Service' buses zip by, and by the time my bus shows up we're crowding in like sardines.

2.  OPEN THE WINDOWS!!  I mean seriously!  When I step onto most buses in cool weather, my glasses fog up from all the exhaled breath floating around.  AND, if the vehicle has air conditioning/heating, set it for full exterior air intake (rather than recirculate interior potentially virus infested air)

jbw

Edited by James Bay walker, 21 January 2022 - 08:36 PM.

#8179 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:36 PM

25 #50 cancellations tomorrow, and 22 #15 cancellations.

In total almost 80 trips are cancelled tomorrow.
  • James Bay walker likes this

Know it all.

#8180 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:54 PM

Good to know (I use both of those frequently).

jbw

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users