[Victoria] Fire Station #1 | 1234 Yates Street

Civic

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#41 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

Of course in Victoria we could not just build a regular old fire hall. It needs to be a mixed used facility that meets the needs of all stakeholders while being carbon neutral and made from sustainable, locally sourced materials only. :whyme:

#42 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Of course in Victoria we could not just build a regular old fire hall. It needs to be a mixed used facility that meets the needs of all stakeholders while being carbon neutral and made from sustainable, locally sourced materials only. :whyme:

Well for sure, and I was thinking: why not combine a new fire hall + housing with the Crystal Pool? Think of the safety aspect of a large reserve emergency water source close at hand!

jbw
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#43 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

I don't see the advantage of having housing & a fire hall in the same building. :confused: I must be missing something.

#44 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

...citing the new South Granville fire hall in Vancouver, which includes a library.

Does this refer to the Firehall library on 10th Avenue? If so, what does "new" mean in this context? Am I really out of touch or is this just a mistake?

#45 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Check out this combined fire hall/residential complex in the UK:
http://www.beaconpla...firestation.php

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

Except there they actually have density that makes the project worthwhile. In Victoria we'll built a three storey building with 25 units at a price tag of $10 million and rented out below the cost to maintain the building and ever hope of seeing a return on tax payer's investment.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Calgary has a firehall and highrise residential together in one building - https://maps.google....148.2,,0,-25.43

http://www.theglobea...rticle13583231/

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

We're talking about Victoria's main fire hall so I assume Madoff is thinking big here. Maybe a tower like the Calgary one but with a fire station three times the size? Although I'm not sure what site they would have in mind for this?

#49 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

is anything like this happening here?

Previous Calgary mayor Dave Bronconnier touted the project – a public-private partnership between La Caille Development and the city – as a response to both Calgary’s anticipated 61-per-cent increase in the downtown residential population and much needed new infrastructure.

#50 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

We're talking about Victoria's main fire hall so I assume Madoff is thinking big here. Maybe a tower like the Calgary one but with a fire station three times the size? Although I'm not sure what site they would have in mind for this?

If they drain the Crystal Pool and fill it in, perhaps they could put it in there.

#51 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

is anything like this happening here?

Vancouver almost did until quite recently a prospective deal collapsed

#52 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps says the city can expect an innovative new fire hall, based on 18 proposals received.

Council cast its net wide in the search for ideas to renovate or replace Fire Station No. 1, Victoria Fire Department’s headquarters, she said.

“We’ll get better than a new fire hall — we’ll get a fire hall-plus,” Helps said.

The ideas came in response to a market-sounding, which is not a formal request for proposals, but a non-binding exploration of potential partnerships with interested individuals or organizations. The submissions are confidential.

But Helps said they include ideas for a fire hall that could also include space to serve other community needs, such as affordable housing, a recreation centre or space for paramedics.

Ideas could range from a simple on-site renovation to a new building at a different location, she said.

Fire Station No. 1, at 1234 Yates St., was identified among the city’s top priorities on a maintenance to-do list, alongside Crystal Pool and Point Ellice Bridge, in January.

“We’ve already maximized what we can fit in that building. As the city grows, the department would be limited in its response capacity by the apparatus door height,” Bruce said. “It’s reached a point where, in the best of terms, to try and fix what’s broken as opposed to redeveloping the site itself is quite a challenge.”

http://www.timescolo...-plus-1.1957343

ps- what's wrong with point ellice bridge now? this is the first I'd heard of anything

#53 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

I think it's in need of some major maintenance - I remember hearing about it last year. Don't know the details though.

#54 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:33 AM

If predictions of the state of the current fire hall are correct it's ready to become the first fire hall/homeless shelter after the next decent jolt hits the city.

#55 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:37 AM

IIRC the Point Ellice bridge is not "seismically sound" or whatever the term is they use. It holds a major water line or something.

I hope the city eventually outlines how much more this "fire house plus" is going to cost over a basic fire house. We know that Helps & Co don't care, but it would at least be nice to know.

#56 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

http://www.timescolo...-plus-1.1957343

ps- what's wrong with point ellice bridge now? this is the first I'd heard of anything

Aside from that it sucks for everybody but those driving, the bridge needs some serious understructure work

#57 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:17 PM

It also doesn't seem like a very safe bridge for pedestrians - one sidewalk is literally less than 2 feet wide and neither have railings separating the sidewalk from traffic. Considering that neighbourhood is undergoing a transformation on both sides of the bridge I hope they take that into consideration.

And for those who cycle, I always love the thrill of wondering whether I'm going to get mowed down by a truck whenever I rider over this thing. I get passed by cars with much less than a 1 metre gap. I've love to see something done about this - perhaps they could cantilever something off the side.

• jonny likes this

#58 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

It also doesn't seem like a very safe bridge for pedestrians - one sidewalk is literally less than 2 feet wide and neither have railings separating the sidewalk from traffic. Considering that neighbourhood is undergoing a transformation on both sides of the bridge I hope they take that into consideration.

And for those who cycle, I always love the thrill of wondering whether I'm going to get mowed down by a truck whenever I rider over this thing. I get passed by cars with much less than a 1 metre gap. I've love to see something done about this - perhaps they could cantilever something off the side.

Should be wider, to be sure, but railings are not standard anywhere for sidewalks. A curb is fine.

#59 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:10 PM

Maybe they could refurb the Bay St bridge to meet whatever seismic standards they want it to meet, and build a stand alone, dedicated pedestrian & bicycle bridge that ties into the goose. Or, they could not refurb the old bridge and hope the big one doesn't hit.

84y1lozncyn6wqg2.jpg

• Nparker and thundergun like this

#60 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

Something simple but elegant:

59.jpg

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users