Photo
- - - - -

Victoria Mayor and Council poll [POLL CLOSED 8:30PM NOV 15]

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick any 8 council candidates and 1 mayoral candidate running in City of Victoria election. (2 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick any 8 council candidates and 1 mayoral candidate running in City of Victoria election.

1. Marianne Alto (102 votes [6.48%])

Percentage of vote: 6.48%

2. Saul Andersen (14 votes [0.89%])

Percentage of vote: 0.89%

3. Christopher M. Coleman (75 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

4. Shellie Gudgeon (65 votes [4.13%])

Percentage of vote: 4.13%

5. Aaron Hall (Open Victoria) (97 votes [6.16%])

Percentage of vote: 6.16%

6. Lisa Helps (91 votes [5.78%])

Percentage of vote: 5.78%

7. Rose Henry (38 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

8. Lynn Hunter (81 votes [5.15%])

Percentage of vote: 5.15%

9. Ben Isitt (63 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

10. Robin Kimpton (96 votes [6.10%])

Percentage of vote: 6.10%

11. Sukhi Lalli (Open Victoria) (63 votes [4.00%])

12. Philippe Lucas (62 votes [3.94%])

Percentage of vote: 3.94%

13. John Luton (96 votes [6.10%])

Percentage of vote: 6.10%

14. Pam Madoff (92 votes [5.84%])

Percentage of vote: 5.84%

15. Linda McGrew (Open Victoria) (63 votes [4.00%])

16. Sean Murray (5 votes [0.32%])

Percentage of vote: 0.32%

17. Charlayne Thornton- Joe (75 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

18. John C. Turner (13 votes [0.83%])

Percentage of vote: 0.83%

19. Jon Valentine (7 votes [0.44%])

Percentage of vote: 0.44%

20. Geoff Young (100 votes [6.35%])

Percentage of vote: 6.35%

21. [MAYOR] Paul Brown (Open Victoria) (131 votes [8.32%])

Percentage of vote: 8.32%

22. [MAYOR] Steve Filipovic (16 votes [1.02%])

Percentage of vote: 1.02%

23. [MAYOR] Dean Fortin (125 votes [7.94%])

Percentage of vote: 7.94%

24. [MAYOR] David Shebib (4 votes [0.25%])

Percentage of vote: 0.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

Realistically speaking I think that the only vacancy on council will be Lucas. Of all runner ups Helps has the biggest chance, I think.

I'm amazed that more people don't see Fortin for the bully he is. If Lucas is vulnerable, it's because he's no longer part of Dean's "team," and if he's no longer part of the team, it's because he dared to differ with Fortin on some issues. I sometimes think this council goes into camera so often (32 out of 33 meetings, according to Open Victoria) so that Fortin can keep forcing everyone back in line. That's just my sense of things after having watched him during the open parts of meetings.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:34 AM

I'm amazed that more people don't see Fortin for the bully he is. If Lucas is vulnerable, it's because he's no longer part of Dean's "team," and if he's no longer part of the team, it's because he dared to differ with Fortin on some issues.

An example of this is at the 1 minute mark in the below video. Mayor Fortin has some strong words for Councillor Lucas over the camping issue.

JzqyAnShEmc

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 Reunited

Reunited
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

I'm amazed that more people don't see Fortin for the bully he is. If Lucas is vulnerable, it's because he's no longer part of Dean's "team," and if he's no longer part of the team, it's because he dared to differ with Fortin on some issues. I sometimes think this council goes into camera so often (32 out of 33 meetings, according to Open Victoria) so that Fortin can keep forcing everyone back in line. That's just my sense of things after having watched him during the open parts of meetings.

You are dead-on Ms. B. I recall him verbally '*****-slapping' Dean Team member Lyn Hunter for daring to suggest that the City was in a financial crisis--and this was in an open session. Then last week on the campaign trail, he refused to shake Paul Brown's hand after the all-candidates meeting. The man has no class and is condescending even to loyal supporters, let alone anyone who dares to contradict him.

#84 Reunited

Reunited
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

You are dead-on Ms. B. I recall him verbally '*****-slapping' Dean Team member Lyn Hunter for daring to suggest that the City was in a financial crisis--and this was in an open session. Then last week on the campaign trail, he refused to shake Paul Brown's hand after the all-candidates meeting. The man has no class and is condescending even to loyal supporters, let alone anyone who dares to contradict him.

I see the censor has deleted the front half of the hyphenated verb above. To avoid any alarming conclusions, let me state that the mayor did not literally slap Ms Hunter.

#85 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

Many people have thier hobbies or personal interests. One of my life long hobbies has been human interaction and profile. My personal observations on Dean is that he is " condescending, even to his supporters "

#86 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

Given Victoria's political landscape it seems that the two stripes on the button should be pink and green rather than brown and yellow.

I see the censor has deleted the front half of the hyphenated verb above. To avoid any alarming conclusions, let me state that the mayor did not literally slap Ms Hunter.

Was anyone confused about that? I wasn't confused at all. :rolleyes:
In chains by Keynes

#87 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

My personal observations on Dean is that he is " condescending, even to his supporters "

With supporters like his, perhaps he has good reason?

#88 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Spot on. Thank you.
Experienced this myself enough.
Yet what I also experienced over the years are people who are just 'enamored' by him and would be loyal to the enth degree.

So either you see right through him, or your completely blinded by him.

#89 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:17 AM

as of 12am there has been well over 2500 views for Robin Kimpton on VV .
Far more than even the candidates for mayor. At first when Robin did well on this VV poll I thought that someone could be messing with us but the 2500 hits I think clearly shows a huge interest in Robin Kimpton the unexpected candidate.

#90 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:38 AM

as of 12am there has been well over 2500 views for Robin Kimpton on VV .
Far more than even the candidates for mayor. At first when Robin did well on this VV poll I thought that someone could be messing with us but the 2500 hits I think clearly shows a huge interest in Robin Kimpton the unexpected candidate.

Page views doesn't equal votes and people slowing down to look at car wrecks doesn't mean they want to have anything to do with them, either.

#91 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

^I was thinking the exact thing. Tavis Dodd got a lot of page views in 2008, too.

I would like Robin to remain involved in the political process and build some equity by joining committees and boards so that the name no longer equates to "slumlord". Properly-run market rental is the foundation of affordable housing. Especially small, cheap studios for men. It's part of the whole spectrum of housing. One size does not fit all. A lot of the problems in Vancouver stemmed from closure of the old rooming houses and the ones that remained were poorly run. Expensive subsidized housing is not a good value substitute.

For those interested in the "hard to house" read the fascinating story of "Million Dollar Murray".

#92 Scotfree

Scotfree
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

Rob -- your suggestion that Robin Kimpton "remain involved in the political process and build some equity by joining committees and boards so that the name no longer equates to 'slumlord'" because "properly run market rental is the foundation of affordable housing" indicates that you don't have the measure of the man. Which is odd because you are the most perceptive and politically astute commentator on this site.

Robin Kimpton doesn't do "properly run market rental", he lives in Vancouver (which makes sitting on boards or committees moot) and he isn't running to win a council seat.

There are two answers to the ugly and potentially dangerous messes Mr. Kimpton has made of the once fine rental buildings on Cook Street and Yates Street -- he can sell them or restore them as real rental housing (Vicoria wins, Kimpton wins) OR (my personal favorite) the City can grow a backbone and appropriate both properties.

If neither happens, I am looking forward to coaxing Victoria to enact Winnepeg style bylaws against neglected and disintegrating properties. Fines! Escalating fines!

#93 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

I must say, I'm shocked Alto has topped the poll for council candidates. I don't have anything against her, but she's a relatively unknown outsider from Saanich who has only served on council for a year. Did she do something overwhelmingly positive for the city that I missed? I don't take these online polls too seriously, but I thought it strange.

#94 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

Have any of them done anything overwhelmingly positive for the city?

#95 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

I must say, I'm shocked Alto has topped the poll for council candidates. I don't have anything against her, but she's a relatively unknown outsider from Saanich who has only served on council for a year. Did she do something overwhelmingly positive for the city that I missed? I don't take these online polls too seriously, but I thought it strange.

I was wondering the same thing. I have not seen one flyer. Not one sign. Not a peep anywhere. But I would bet my grandmother's heirlooms she's in like flint.

#96 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Whatever you think of Alto's politics, she can articulate her position in an intelligent manner. I think that draws people to her...someone who can express herself well.

#97 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:51 PM

Have any of them done anything overwhelmingly positive for the city?

One could argue that Young has, which would explain his high second-place showing in this poll.

#98 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Whatever you think of Alto's politics, she can articulate her position in an intelligent manner. I think that draws people to her...someone who can express herself well.

I'm sure that she is, but my point was that when have Victoria's voters had an opportunity to see her and be "drawn to her"? She hasn't been a prominent member of council during her short term and I don't recall seeing her on the news at all since the 2010 by-election. I could be mistaken though, I was just slightly taken aback by her results here.

#99 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

Has nothing to do with her politics. As Lover Fighter has stated as well.

My point is the NDP machine. You could probably win a seat while hibernating.

#100 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

I still do not agree with the thought that 20 candidates is too many.
There needs to be at least 16 candidates total in order to replace the 8.
And some candidates will engage in at least one practice round in order to have a real shot 3 years later.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users