Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2379 replies to this topic

#2341 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 25,676 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:29 PM

let the current renters back at their now rate.

#2342 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 25,676 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 01:17 PM

although rent controls are stupid. and incentivise laziness.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 July 2021 - 01:18 PM.

#2343 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:49 PM

Until specific members of counsel and the wannabes counsel members get it through their cement heads you are never going to solve the affordable houses crises until you solve the houses crises the problem is only going to get worse. 

The inability of counsels like Ben who always find a way to say NO is the root of this problem. 

• Nparker likes this

#2344 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 11,702 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:41 PM

Perhaps we need a billboard on the highway from the ferry and the airport.

“ IF YOU ARE NEW TO TOWN AND YOU ARE NEEDING HOUSING, TURN AROUND…YOU ARE JUST GOING TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE. “

#2345 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 65,420 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:49 PM

There certainly have been billboards with personal messages before.

I think the next phase of the reality facing post-secondary students is to choose schools where mom and dad can afford to buy you a condo for five years, or if they can't, you may have to find another school or struggle to find rental housing. There's no easy way around this.

I mean look at the cost of groceries post-COVID. I've seen items rise by 20-30% in a matter of weeks.

We're at the point now where it makes more economic sense to buy a condo for your kid than to pay $20,000 in rent per annum.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2346 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 25,676 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:52 PM

soon white students won’t be going to post secondary so maybe it will ease a bit.

'You earned or inherited your money through oppressing people of color': Affluent Dallas residents receive BLM letter urging them not to send their kids to Ivy League schools so black students can get a spot instead

https://www.dailymai...dents-spot.html

It asks the recipient to check one of the two boxes: 'I am a racist hypocrite' or 'I agree' to the pledge

The group said it sent the pledge out to the '95 percent white Highland Park and University Park neighborhoods' and will announce publicly who hasn't signed it

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 July 2021 - 02:53 PM.

#2347 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:56 PM

Perhaps we need a billboard on the highway from the ferry and the airport.

“ IF YOU ARE NEW TO TOWN AND YOU ARE NEEDING HOUSING, TURN AROUND…YOU ARE JUST GOING TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE. “

In my experience people do not really read signs well... ;)

• Mike K. and Brayvehart like this

#2348 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 65,420 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:00 PM

^Lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2349 Nparker

Nparker
  • 29,665 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:18 PM

...I think the next phase of the reality facing post-secondary students is to choose schools where mom and dad can afford to buy you a condo for five years...

This is what my sister and brother-in-law did for my niece while she was getting her nursing degree at VIU in Courtenay.

#2350 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 25,676 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:36 PM

it’s probably somewhat common. if you can pull it off you’ve got a vacation home or retirement place for later.

#2351 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 65,420 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:49 PM

Right. And if all goes well you sell and recoup the kid’s college costs.

Know it all.

#2352 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 20,156 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:15 PM

I think the next phase of the reality facing post-secondary students is to choose schools where mom and dad can afford to buy you a condo for five years, or if they can't, you may have to find another school or struggle to find rental housing. There's no easy way around this.

Yup, there's two like that in my building.  Lucky me, I'm directly below one of them.

And of course the rental restriction bylaw doesn't apply to immediate family...  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2353 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:28 PM

Or just get into McGill/Concordia/UdeM/UQAM and live in one of the hundreds of rental buildings, sublet duplex and triplexes, private student housing buildings, or university student housing buildings (speaking from experience and missing life in a midtown 2BR apartment for $1200/mo...)
  • Brayvehart likes this

#2354 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 25,676 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:33 PM

why is it that Quebec has such low rents?

#2355 LJ

LJ
  • 10,779 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:20 PM

Or University of New Brunswick in Fredericton or St. John.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2356 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:55 PM

There certainly have been billboards with personal messages before.

I mean look at the cost of groceries post-COVID. I've seen items rise by 20-30% in a matter of weeks.

We're at the point now where it makes more economic sense to buy a condo for your kid than to pay $20,000 in rent per annum.

Had some business on McKenzie on Friday, noticed the big Brown Bros. apartment had a vacancy sign so googled it up. 500sq ft one bed below ground (ground floor) ugly as sin, $1400 a month. You gotta be kidding me.

We saw the unit in the Otto we wanted pop up again last week, same price as March 2019 give or take.. sold before we could get any ducks in a row unfortunately.

Matt.

#2357 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:17 AM

why is it that Quebec has such low rents?

Supply, a history of building rental housing, and a strong provincial rental board. 60% of Montreal households rent, vacancy rate is 6%, and basically all properties have more than one dwelling unit. Duplexes and triplexes are the norm and often aren't strata, so you'll have generally one owner and one or two renters.

Mind you a lot of the supply is old and in various states of repair. My apartment was built in 1912 and very well maintained, but not upgraded to the latest and greatest (i.e. no stainless steel appliances, no dishwasher, coin laundry in basement, no AC). It did have beautiful brick walls and wood flooring, though!
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#2358 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 65,420 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:27 AM

We can also thank land size. The City of Montreal has a physical footprint nearly the size of the entire Capital Regional District, at 430 kilometers squared. The City of Victoria is 19. Montreal with its suburbs has a footprint of 4,600 square kilometers, equal to 15% of Vancouver Island's land mass.

We are swimming against the tide in Victoria and wondering why everything is so difficult.

Know it all.

#2359 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 25,676 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:35 AM

the island of montreal has an oil refinery and terminal that's almost as large as victoria. same scale:

screenshot-www.google.com-2021.07.27-14_36_07.png

screenshot-www.google.com-2021.07.27-14_31_15.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 July 2021 - 10:41 AM.

#2360 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:48 AM

Fun fact, Montréal-Est is a separate municipality of less than 4,000 people. If you thought the CRD was bad for municipal borders and princedoms, never look at the absolute atrocity that is the island of Montreal!
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users