Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3488 replies to this topic

#2361 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 04:46 AM

I am picking this up from a Facebook page that there are a number of shrink wrapped items at Ogden point.

One poster suggests that these are modular housing units slated for seniors in Sooke.

Anyone else with intel on this?

Modular.jpg

#2362 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2021 - 08:34 PM

I am picking this up from a Facebook page that there are a number of shrink wrapped items at Ogden point.

One poster suggests that these are modular housing units slated for seniors in Sooke.

Anyone else with intel on this?

Modular.jpg

I saw that photo.  No idea what they are but the photo's colours and sun angles make it all look CG.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2363 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2021 - 08:43 PM

1008 Pandora 

Minimum wage, you get to live steps from downtown in one of the most expensive cities in Canada with fewer restrictions on your lifestyle than in many stratas. 

Capture.JPG

I think I'll change jobs, take a pay cut for this luxury living. 

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2364 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:07 AM

1008 Pandora

Minimum wage, you get to live steps from downtown in one of the most expensive cities in Canada with fewer restrictions on your lifestyle than in many stratas.

Capture.JPG

I think I'll change jobs, take a pay cut for this luxury living.

#2365 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:08 AM

^ You got a buddy at BC Housing? You don’t think that just anyone gets a cheap place to live do you? I know single parent families who have been waiting years.
  • sebberry and A Girl is No one like this

#2366 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,966 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 05:09 PM

Lumber prices are going through some unusual volatility since the onset of the pandemic. The price per 1,000 board feet of lumber initially fell in March of 2020 to below $200. It swung between $500 and $900 through the rest of 2000 before shooting up to over $1,600 per 1,000 board feet in early May 2021. The peak price of $1,686 reached in May of this year likely caused some consumers to pass on projects because of the sticker shock.

The crash in the price of lumber since that peak will certainly benefit consumers, as it now sits at $466 per 1,000 board feet. That's sure to make some home-improvement projects more affordable.

https://www.fool.com...its-home-depot/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 August 2021 - 05:10 PM.

#2367 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 05:23 PM

I hope the figures are more accurate than the proofreading.

...The price per 1,000 board feet of lumber initially fell in March of 2020 to below $200. It swung between $500 and $900 through the rest of 2000 before shooting up to over $1,600 per 1,000 board feet in early May 2021...

#2368 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,966 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 08:27 AM

Rishi Maharaj: Our housing problem isn't money. It's cities not wanting more houses.

Municipalities largely do not want new homes, at least not in the form that would be necessary to build them at significantly lower prices than our current stock of housing.

https://theline.subs..._source=twitter

The trouble here is that municipalities largely do not want new homes, at least not in the form that would be necessary to build them at significantly lower prices than our current stock of housing. Homes are very expensive in large part because municipalities have erected a litany of barriers to where they can go, how much of a lot they can occupy, how tall they can be, where they can cast shadows, how many doors can face the street, etc. — all while demanding that new residents pay up front for public infrastructure to service them. The million-dollar homes we’re building today are the cheapest homes we can build under current planning rules.

Federal money doesn’t change municipal politics, which is often dominated by the loudest, most reactionary home-owning voices in the room. As John Michael McGrath wrote in an excellent piece for TVO, “our cities are as exclusionary as they are because municipal voters value that exclusion and vote with that in mind.” This isn’t just a small roadblock, this is the crux of our housing crisis — and no party has articulated a way to address it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 August 2021 - 08:28 AM.

#2369 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 08:42 AM

The elephants in the room are the millions of acres sitting idle around our cities prohibited from being developed.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2370 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,966 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 09:01 AM

yes, and it is measured in millions of acres.

#2371 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 11:15 PM

On chek news tonight TAPS is calling for vacancy rent controls which would limit owners from being able to raise rents above a certain amount after tenants move out . My question wouldn’t landlords who own older buildings sell off the buildings for  new build condos instead of moving forward with costly upkeep and renovations. Didn’t this happen in some rent controlled cities  in the U.S. What are your thoughts on this . 

Edited by Love the rock, 01 September 2021 - 11:17 PM.

#2372 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,966 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 02:58 AM

you would have to rezone most properties. No guarantees that would happen.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 September 2021 - 02:58 AM.

#2373 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:48 AM

The end game is de-comodification of housing and to instead have all rental housing controlled by the state.
  • A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2374 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:52 AM

TAPS are a bunch of radicals paid for by our tax payer money. IMO they are among the worst/most radicals.
  • Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#2375 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:30 AM

On chek news tonight TAPS is calling for vacancy rent controls which would limit owners from being able to raise rents above a certain amount after tenants move out . My question wouldn’t landlords who own older buildings sell off the buildings for  new build condos instead of moving forward with costly upkeep and renovations. Didn’t this happen in some rent controlled cities  in the U.S. What are your thoughts on this . 

I could actually see a policy of this sort brought in by the BC NDP.

Glad I got out of the landlord game. I'll stick to the less volatile stock market.

#2376 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 07:54 PM

Maybe we should invest in a bunch of these, about $130,000 each.

https://www.designbo...use-07-17-2017/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2377 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 10:05 AM

The end game is de-comodification of housing and to instead have all rental housing controlled by the state.

In all seriousness if the federal government actually really wanted to build more affordable housing they'd give it to the provinces to buy land and build rental projects without the need for municipal approval. In most cases this is a political grenade in a community, so I imagine the provinces have told the Trudeau government that they don't want to go about it that way. Provincial governments are loathe to step into municipal dealings and offload responsibilities whenever they can. 

• Banksy likes this

#2378 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 01:57 PM

The large affordable housing development (150+ units) planned for Fernwood (partially on Vic High lands) is going to a public hearing on Thursday Oct 28.

#2379 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:14 PM

In all seriousness if the federal government actually really wanted to build more affordable housing they'd give it to the provinces to buy land and build rental projects without the need for municipal approval. In most cases this is a political grenade in a community, so I imagine the provinces have told the Trudeau government that they don't want to go about it that way. Provincial governments are loathe to step into municipal dealings and offload responsibilities whenever they can. 

BC Housing can already override any municipal zoning limitations if they want to.

#2380 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:17 PM

...Provincial governments are loathe to step into municipal dealings and offload responsibilities whenever they can....

Except in the case of "temporary" sheltering for the housing challenged.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users