Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3507 replies to this topic

#2621 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 06:27 AM

I was talking with a head planner in Kelowna earlier this week and he told me their missing middle multi-plex homes require a 1:1 ratio of parking. In Victoria it’s 1:6.

He said parking is a major issue/point of concern among residents, so if the municipality doesn’t make it harder for existing residents to park, there will be more buy-in. Here, the municipality doesn’t mind if there’s parking or not, and isn’t interested in buy-in.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2622 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 06:33 AM

^ Combine the war on cars with the war on elitist homeowners, makes sense to me. After a few cyclists get doored, the rush will be to build more bike lanes. win-win.

• Barrrister likes this

#2623 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2022 - 07:24 AM

We all know that people struggling to make ends meet cycle to Costco.

In fact I'd argue that when they turn to Amazon more frequently for their daily household needs, emissions will increase.  Brilliant move!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2624 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 08:00 AM

Ninety-five per cent of members of the legislative assembly (MLA) are homeowners, outpacing the provincial home-ownership average of 68 per cent.

More so, of the 83 MLAs who own a home, more than half — 42 of them — own a second property, far exceeding the provincial secondary homeowner rate of 15 per cent cited by Statistics Canada this year. Meanwhile, 13 MLAs have an interest in three or more properties either directly or via holding companies, according to disclosures filed with the B.C. Office of the Conflict of Interest Commissioner.

https://www.timescol...roperty-5314806

• Nparker, Matt R., dasmo and 1 other like this

#2625 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,769 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 08:04 AM

#politicalhypocrisy #letthemeatcake

• dasmo likes this

#2626 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,497 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 08:06 AM

The "rules for thee" file is getting thick....

#2627 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 08:08 AM

^ And the Green party leader and her spouse own 3 homes. Too bad the author didn't dig into to determine how many of the 2nd homes were located in areas exempted from the speculation tax!

In any event, I am sure that all of the MLAs are determined to help drive down housing costs even if it means that they personally take a financial hit.

On an unrelated note, good to see Grace Lore back at work. Hope her son is doing well. She has been all over the news cycle protesting rumored health law changes in the US.

• dasmo likes this

#2628 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 08:46 AM

So we'd rather have people who haven't achieved financial success or safeguarded their financial futures or walked the walked, managing our affairs?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2629 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 08:50 AM

I’m sure if you just applied the salary MLAs make to any section of the public, their home ownership would be similar.

I guess part of the point here is that MLAs might not understand home ownership challenges, since they don’t experience it. It’s a bit of a weak argument.

#2630 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 08:53 AM

So we'd rather have people who haven't achieved financial success or safeguarded their financial futures or walked the walked, managing our affairs?

I would have no issue with someone who rents, broadly invests their savings and in all likelihood is further head financially without the ties of home ownership. 

#2631 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 08:53 AM

I dunno, where do we draw the line if we start thinking like that?

On the flip side you have the City of Victoria, governed by people who don't understand the basic concepts of their fundamental duties as elected officials.

• Teardrop likes this

Know it all.

#2632 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 08:54 AM

Well maybe that’s what the other 5% are doing. Or they are homeless.

#2633 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 08:55 AM

On the flip side you have the City of Victoria, governed by people who don't understand the basic concepts of their fundamental duties as elected officials.

That is because instead of putting 4 years of their life to productive study, they chose to complete an arts degree at UVIC!

• Mike K. and Barrrister like this

#2634 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 08:55 AM

I would have no issue with someone who rents, broadly invests their savings and in all likelihood is further head financially without the ties of home ownership. 

I know exactly zero people in this predicament. Zilch. I don't think they even exist in our region, unless they used real-estate to get wealthy and now rent because financially it no longer makes a difference to them.

Know it all.

#2635 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 09:15 AM

^ That is because they don't live here. I know lots of people who have made a bundle and they travel all over the world doing the remote warrior thing. Victoria isn't high on their list compared to places like Singapore, the UAE, AUS/NZ, Southern Europe, etc

#2636 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,497 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 09:17 AM

I would rather they don't manage our affairs... That is my takeaway. 

#2637 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 09:20 AM

^ That is because they don't live here. I know lots of people who have made a bundle and they travel all over the world doing the remote warrior thing. Victoria isn't high on their list compared to places like Singapore, the UAE, AUS/NZ, Southern Europe, etc

I don't doubt people can do that around the world, but here it's somewhat of a silly move, unless you're here short-term only.

Know it all.

#2638 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 09:27 AM

I don't doubt people can do that around the world, but here it's somewhat of a silly move, unless you're here short-term only.

Depends what you want from life. Lots of people enjoy travelling the world, getting to meet new people and cultures and living / working wherever they want. They would argue that owning a home and working for the same company for 20 years is boring!

#2639 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 05:20 AM

Younger individuals with families are moving to places where they can afford to live, he said. “So at the end of the day, the things we need to help with that are housing, but that is never going to happen because of the way the municipalities don’t want to build more housing. Density is not something that people want on the Saanich Peninsula. Everybody seems to be against it because they want to protect their investments. But what they are going to find is that their cost of living is going to far surpass the investment increases they are going to see in their houses. That is just my prediction.”

https://www.vicnews....sing-companies/

This guy has it all wrong. People do not want to specifically “protect their investment” but they do prefer streets less crowded and quieter neighbourhoods. We all do. And there is no good reason to welcome high density development, for many.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 May 2022 - 05:23 AM.

#2640 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 06:02 AM

Smith also predicts that health care is going to be a challenge due to a lack of staffing.

“So it’s a big problem for everyone, but what is unique about the Saanich Peninsula is that we have such an amazing place that is in high demand,” he said. “If we play our cards right, we could bring a lot more people here to work, because it is such an amazing place to live and work. But the challenge with that is that there is nowhere for them to live. If we don’t fix this problem, everything is going to get more expensive and companies are going to be moving.”

Your average 60 year old Peninsula resident is not too worried about “companies leaving” as long as their gardener still comes, and they can drive to the doctor and the grocery store.
  • Barrrister likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

aastra, Lupurus2901, Sparky