Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3499 replies to this topic

#1281 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:56 AM

The one part missing from her platform is the costs of those promises and how she would fund them..... but let’s not allow silly things like that to get in the way of ideology
  • Love the rock, rmpeers and tjv like this

#1282 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

from helps campaign:

Allow moveable tiny homes in backyards at rents of no more than $500 per month

what would be next? allowing them to sit on the street infront of the house too..i saw a tent trailer fully set up on chambers street and i swear it was set up for a good chunk of the summer and as far as i know no one complained or did anything.... i know there are people who part motor homes on victoria side streets and live in them.. surprised she isn't supporting all this

#1283 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:24 PM

Stringent approval processes and zoning regulations only apply to evil, profit-driven developers.

• rjag and Love the rock like this

#1284 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:55 PM

She must've been watching 'Life in Pieces'. 

Clem...!

• lanforod likes this

#1285 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

what would be next? allowing them to sit on the street infront of the house too..i saw a tent trailer fully set up on chambers street and i swear it was set up for a good chunk of the summer and as far as i know no one complained or did anything.... i know there are people who part motor homes on victoria side streets and live in them.. surprised she isn't supporting all this

*ahem* https://www.ctvnews....rises-1.3353443

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1286 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:09 PM

popping up a tent trailer infront of your friends out (on the street) is a bit more extreme then just sleeping in a car.. but i guess if no one complains.. heck who knows.. maybe it was a Air B&B

#1287 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:40 PM

Ah yes, who can forget the frank and clear answers we got during Airbnbgate.
  • Nparker, kxl and A Girl is No one like this

#1288 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:53 PM

I think they should allow ALR land to be used for mobile home parks. There are literally hundreds of used mobile homes for sale from the oil fields for cheap.

Anyone who is working would be able to afford one. Put half a dozen parks in with a couple of hundred homes each, average pad rental $500-$600 monthly, housing "crisis" solved.

https://www.westerni...homes-1.2352927

Edited by LJ, 19 September 2018 - 07:54 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1289 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:55 AM

I have downplayed the impact of Chinese money on affordable housing in our region but this article from Bloomberg is well written and reserached. It is behind a paywall but you get 10 free articles a month without registration. I post it because if the thesis is correct, the current solutions to affordable housing being proposed by local councils will have little to no effect on the problem.

https://www.bloomber...=premium-canada

#1290 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:48 AM

Well that didn't take long.

There is an article in a local newspaper that quotes Victoria council members as saying they need to buy land for affordable and social housing.

The article quotes the Mayor as saying they need to pull whatever "lever" they can to accomplish this and that this will be a good "investment" as land prices will not fall.

"Investments" is a term that refers to profits. "Lever" refers to taxpayer's money.

It is my belief that upsetting the normal balance of business (and housing is a business) will be detrimental to everyone in the long run.

• rjag, LJ, David Bratzer and 3 others like this

#1291 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:03 AM

Cities should not be in the business of building housing. This is a federal and provincial responsibility.

• Midnightly likes this

#1292 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:44 AM

Well that didn't take long.

There is an article in a local newspaper that quotes Victoria council members as saying they need to buy land for affordable and social housing.

The article quotes the Mayor as saying they need to pull whatever "lever" they can to accomplish this and that this will be a good "investment" as land prices will not fall.

"Investments" is a term that refers to profits. "Lever" refers to taxpayer's money.

It is my belief that upsetting the normal balance of business (and housing is a business) will be detrimental to everyone in the long run.

Oh look, the anti-capitalists are going to engage in capitalism

#1293 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:57 AM

Oh look, the anti-capitalists are going to engage in capitalism

"Capitalism" for which I will have to pay, but from which I will not profit.

• A Girl is No one and songheesguy like this

#1294 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,048 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

“There’s a lot of room for homeowners to do more with their own properties,” she said. That could include larger garden suites on large lots, mobile tiny homes that could be wheeled into yards, and greater flexibility in allowing both secondary suites and garden suites.

Helps also wants the city to create a small-scale-housing ambassador, a position similar to the city’s business ambassador, as a go-to person for small-scale housing initiatives.

https://www.timescol...llor-1.23478480

the largest move they could make is allow existing and new houses to be made into more suites or rooming houses - that the owner does not have to live in.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 October 2018 - 07:59 AM.

#1295 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

Go ahead CoV and I hope the people who voted for that council are overjoyed when they all open their property tax envelopes and see bills for $10+k.  That is assuming they pay property taxes and of course could hide behind the rental increase law of 2.5%

Might as well say to the rest of Canada:  Free housing in Victoria and great weather bring it on!

My boycott of CoV business continues

#1296 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:59 AM

Except that we all know that the City will be buying the contaminated problem properties from their friends at 3x market value so there won't be any profits to be had on the land. To think that folks were wondering why developers were lining up to contribute to the Helps campaign!

• Nparker likes this

#1297 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:18 AM

...the City will be buying the contaminated problem properties from their friends at 3x market value so there won't be any profits to be had on the land...

Agreed. If I had property in which the CoV was interested I'd certainly be asking far above market value for it now. Robin Kimpton must be ecstatic at LeftCouncil©'s announcement.

#1298 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,048 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:20 AM

Agreed. If I had property in which the CoV was interested I'd certainly be asking far above market value for it now. Robin Kimpton must be ecstatic at LeftCouncil©'s announcement.

if there is any place 20-floor dense building would work with only mild opposition it's on kimpton's queens site.  but the previous council killed the large & co. proposal on princess (the hive).  of course that was only 12 months after it jailed the developer for arson.   

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 October 2018 - 08:24 AM.

#1299 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:25 AM

Remember how the AirBnB ban was supposed to help renters, and how garden suites were also the gentle density answer to a low rental vacancy rate?

Both initiatives fell flat. Now the City of Victoria wants to build its own housing? We have organizations for that sort of thing, for gosh sake. Greater Victoria Housing, CRD Housing, Pacifica Housing, BC Housing, the list goes on. Help these organizations push through projects but please stay out of the industry. We don’t need another bridge or pool debacle on our hands.
  • spanky123, grantpalin and Midnightly like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1300 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:25 AM

...council killed [a] large proposal.  of course that was only months after it jailed the developer for arson.   

It's hardly news that I am no fan of our local government, but I was unaware they had powers to incarcerate people.  ;)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)