Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3483 replies to this topic

#1261 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:29 AM

Pacifica will be releasing another 82-units next year at Helios, another 80 in 2020 at Oak Park and 88 in 2021 in Burnside-Gorge. That’s 250 over the next three years. That’s pretty good for just one organization.
  • tedward and Mattjvd like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1262 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:21 PM

Seems to me like a system that could potentially be open to abuse.

Those who are on Rent Geared to Income programs (30% of gross monthly income) are also subject to periodic audits by Pacifica.

#1263 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,952 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:18 PM

It’s not perfect for sure. but I’m not sure a lottery is a good idea either.

#1264 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 03:06 PM

i'll admit i don't know a whole ton about how it all works but i know pacifica and BC housing has waiting lists up to 10+yrs long of people in need of housing..

people's placement on the list is based on need.. those couch surfing are higher on the list, those living in hotels are higher up then those who are living with family or those who have a place to stay but it's unsuitable due to lack of bedrooms and cost to move to a better place (6+ people living in a 2 bedroom kinda thing) i've known people on the list who just give up because of lack of ability to get a place (lived in a hotel for nearly 6 months then gave up and left town)... with how the placement works (hearing from a friend who went through the process) is that the people at the top of the list are given an option of where to go (you can pick first available or you can check specific areas of town.. ) if you do decline an offer you are moved way down the list, though i'm sure no one is going to be declining a brand new build..

i am glad they are building new homes, and i do hope those who are in need will get a placement

#1265 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:59 AM

Oceanside-town-of-Sooke-remains-Victoria's-affordable-homeownership-frontier-but-that's-changing.jpg
The town of Sooke's oceanfront real-estate, such as the upcoming Residences on Sooke Harbour condominium development depicted in this artist's rendering, has drawn newcomers from far and wide. The traditionally affordable suburb of Victoria has remained the last bastion of home ownership opportunities for many, but that's changing as families, retirees and empty-nesters look to Sooke's seaside setting as an alternative to urban life in Victoria's core and rapidly growing West Shore.

Oceanside town of Sooke remains Victoria's 'affordable homeownership frontier,' but that's changing

https://victoria.cit...thats-changing/

Nestled between the Strait of Juan de Fuca and miles of Vancouver Island rainforest, Greater Victoria’s oceanside suburb of Sooke is a community on the cusp of a real-estate boom as growing numbers of families, retirees and empty-nesters look beyond the region’s urban core to an authentically west coast lifestyle.

With south Island real-estate prices pushing home ownership out of reach for many, the rush of newcomers to the aptly-coined ‘affordable homeownership frontier of the Capital Region,’ Sooke is still positioned as Victoria’s last stand of competitively-priced real-estate. 

But given its population growth rate of 4% per annum and a low volume of new housing, the town of 13,000 inhabitants won’t be affordable forever. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1266 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,952 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:43 AM

from helps campaign:

Allow moveable tiny homes in backyards at rents of no more than $500 per month

#1267 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:34 AM

- Continue to develop alternative sources of revenue to property taxes and utilities

In other words, development fees and parking fees? Is that what she means, or are we going into business in a way we haven't been briefed on yet?

The best thing she could do for affordability would be to stop spending hundreds of millions on bike lanes, pools and beautification projects. Yes, they're nice, but while we're seeing the biggest building boom in a generation (if not in the history of this city) we're also seeing taxes rise at levels they shouldn't be with such a high level of development activity padding municipal coffers. So what happens when development slows? Will we see 6-8% tax increases per annum?

• lanforod, Love the rock, Midnightly and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#1268 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:50 AM

from helps campaign:

She must've been watching 'Life in Pieces'. 

#1269 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,952 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:29 AM

saanich and victoria should just team together to buy the old bowling alley site and let any developer then buy it from them as long as they build 1000 units of studio rental suites.  they could do that in 4 buildings of 250 units each.  no residential neighbours really so nobody is gonna mind a few 12-floor buildings.

• Nparker and grantpalin like this

#1270 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:42 AM

...so nobody is gonna mind a few 12-floor buildings.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

If a proposal is for more than 3 floors anywhere in the core municipalities you can be assured somebody is going to be against it.

#1271 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:50 AM

while we're seeing the biggest building boom in a generation (if not in the history of this city)

Probably in terms of pure residential building numbers that could be true, but the boom of 10 years ago was still extremely busy overall with lots of commercial, office and retail being developed as well (this boom is 95% pure residential).  I know a lot of construction companies complain, myself included, that we aren't making anywhere near the money we did 10 years ago in that boom

from helps campaign:

Doesn't Helps make 100k as mayor and yet she still rents?  Makes me wonder how she conducts her own finances when she makes so much

I am completely against that, I don't want to look at my neighbors and see a crappy house built on a flat deck trailer.  What's next see them playing the geetar and the jug?

#1272 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:02 AM

...I don't want to look at my neighbors and see a crappy house built on a flat deck trailer...

How much say would the neighbours have before these glorified garden sheds are built adjacent to their properties? Hasn't neighbourhood input been reduced already for the Garden Suite policy? On the one hand we have multi-evening public hearings to let every crackpot in the region have their say when a multi-unit housing project is proposed (multi-unit being anything more than about 3 residences), but when your mortgage-strapped neighbour proposes to build a house that might be within a meter or so of your shared property line you little-to-no have no input?

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#1273 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

Probably in terms of pure residential building numbers that could be true, but the boom of 10 years ago was still extremely busy overall with lots of commercial, office and retail being developed as well (this boom is 95% pure residential).  I know a lot of construction companies complain, myself included, that we aren't making anywhere near the money we did 10 years ago in that boom

Doesn't Helps make 100k as mayor and yet she still rents?  Makes me wonder how she conducts her own finances when she makes so much

I am completely against that, I don't want to look at my neighbors and see a crappy house built on a flat deck trailer.  What's next see them playing the geetar and the jug?

Even if you accept the concept of a tiny house, what right does the Mayor have to determine the maximum amount of rent you can charge?

• lanforod, grantpalin, Love the rock and 3 others like this

#1274 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:19 AM

I'm personally in favour of garden suites and allowing pad rentals to mobile tiny homes, but explicitly stating the charge cap seems painfully short-sighted and micro-managing.

~ Jasmine ~

#1275 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:34 AM

...what right does the Mayor have to determine the maximum amount of rent you can charge?

Since she told retailers what they must charge for paper & reusable bags I suppose Her Worseship feels she can tell landlord's how much rent they can charge. Social Justice trumps individual rights.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#1276 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:49 AM

I'm certain she's quoting the price for election purposes.

• rmpeers likes this

Know it all.

#1277 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:08 AM

Seems like allowing tiny homes should come with reasonable zoning regulations.  Allowing a tiny home on a city lot of 3500 sq ft. is different than one on a 7000 sq ft lot.  Also what is the max sq.ft. of the tiny home?  Max occupants?  What services must the home owner provide?  What about proximity/set backs to neighbors?  Also must disagree with the setting of maximum rents for those tiny homes (is that a max pad rental or a max rental for the tiny home itself and a spot to park it)?  What about utilities?  It would seem to me that max $500 a month makes it uneconomic for most, particularly if you're providing the tiny home, the utilities for the tiny home and the space for the tiny home.

It would seem that the mayor has let go another thought balloon without really thinking about it and how the rubber might hit the road.  Also, if these tiny homes are taking up parking off-street what about the impact on already limited on-street parking?

• Nparker, Midnightly and rmpeers like this

#1278 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:21 AM

...It would seem that the mayor has let go another thought balloon without really thinking about it and how the rubber might hit the road...

This.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1279 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:41 AM

I can see someone taking advantage of this and putting up 10 of these at $500 a pop.  Shower, washing, toilet facilities not available.  Water spigot on the house.  haha

Attached Images

• tent.jpg

#1280 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:49 AM

This.

Exactly. Just another random "gee, wouldn't it be super-neato if..." brainstorm with no logic or plan to back it up. What we need is someone with stong, VIABLE ideas to make the city better. Not random musings designed to excite her followers and upset everyone else.
  • Nparker and tjv like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users