Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1264 replies to this topic

#1261 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 43,239 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:29 AM

Pacifica will be releasing another 82-units next year at Helios, another 80 in 2020 at Oak Park and 88 in 2021 in Burnside-Gorge. That’s 250 over the next three years. That’s pretty good for just one organization.
  • Mattjvd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1262 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 522 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:21 PM

Seems to me like a system that could potentially be open to abuse.

Those who are on Rent Geared to Income programs (30% of gross monthly income) are also subject to periodic audits by Pacifica.

#1263 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:18 PM

It’s not perfect for sure. but I’m not sure a lottery is a good idea either.

#1264 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 03:06 PM

i'll admit i don't know a whole ton about how it all works but i know pacifica and BC housing has waiting lists up to 10+yrs long of people in need of housing..

people's placement on the list is based on need.. those couch surfing are higher on the list, those living in hotels are higher up then those who are living with family or those who have a place to stay but it's unsuitable due to lack of bedrooms and cost to move to a better place (6+ people living in a 2 bedroom kinda thing) i've known people on the list who just give up because of lack of ability to get a place (lived in a hotel for nearly 6 months then gave up and left town)... with how the placement works (hearing from a friend who went through the process) is that the people at the top of the list are given an option of where to go (you can pick first available or you can check specific areas of town.. ) if you do decline an offer you are moved way down the list, though i'm sure no one is going to be declining a brand new build..

i am glad they are building new homes, and i do hope those who are in need will get a placement

#1265 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:59 AM

Oceanside-town-of-Sooke-remains-Victoria's-affordable-homeownership-frontier-but-that's-changing.jpg
The town of Sooke's oceanfront real-estate, such as the upcoming Residences on Sooke Harbour condominium development depicted in this artist's rendering, has drawn newcomers from far and wide. The traditionally affordable suburb of Victoria has remained the last bastion of home ownership opportunities for many, but that's changing as families, retirees and empty-nesters look to Sooke's seaside setting as an alternative to urban life in Victoria's core and rapidly growing West Shore.

Oceanside town of Sooke remains Victoria's 'affordable homeownership frontier,' but that's changing

https://victoria.cit...thats-changing/

Nestled between the Strait of Juan de Fuca and miles of Vancouver Island rainforest, Greater Victoria’s oceanside suburb of Sooke is a community on the cusp of a real-estate boom as growing numbers of families, retirees and empty-nesters look beyond the region’s urban core to an authentically west coast lifestyle.

With south Island real-estate prices pushing home ownership out of reach for many, the rush of newcomers to the aptly-coined ‘affordable homeownership frontier of the Capital Region,’ Sooke is still positioned as Victoria’s last stand of competitively-priced real-estate. 

But given its population growth rate of 4% per annum and a low volume of new housing, the town of 13,000 inhabitants won’t be affordable forever. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.