Photo

Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3507 replies to this topic

#1681 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:39 PM

These morons take years to approve the construction of anything and they think the answer to our supply issue might be tiny homes on wheels. I give up. 

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1682 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:05 PM

Can tiny homes on wheels lanes be far off?

I see a bylaw coming where private parking lots must give up their lots after hours so people who sleep in the cars or who have campers have a place to park

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#1683 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:10 PM

cool aid has bought that rooming house on balmoral.

#1684 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:57 PM

These morons take years to approve the construction of anything and they think the answer to our supply issue might be tiny homes on wheels. I give up. 

the problem with tiny homes is they need land to go on and hook ups.. you can't stack them.. it would be much more efficient to put up apartments or condos at least that way you can build up and house more people

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#1685 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:09 AM

But then you have to share walls with someone else!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1686 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:34 AM

and meet building code and rezoning and opposition. all stuff that could be overcome though.

#1687 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

Great to see the city acknowledge that supply is an issue. 

That is a weird, misleading comment.

Supply is pretty much the ONLY issue and has been at the forefront of EVERY statement or discussion or opinion piece coming out of anyone on Council or the city staff, yet you make it sounds like this is a revelation.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1688 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:05 AM

the problem with tiny homes is they need land to go on and hook ups.. you can't stack them.. it would be much more efficient to put up apartments or condos at least that way you can build up and house more people

You could stack them in a parkade though...  :banana:

#1689 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:06 AM

Supply is pretty much the ONLY issue and has been at the forefront of EVERY statement or discussion or opinion piece coming out of anyone on Council or the city staff, yet you make it sounds like this is a revelation.

For 50 years running. So, so many statements, discussions, opinion pieces, focus groups, etc. People just need to be more patient.

Edited by aastra, 26 April 2019 - 09:08 AM.

#1690 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

There's demand issues as well.  Could we just maybe, quit rolling out the red carpet for everyone who can't rub two nickels together, and maybe just maybe think of ways to enhance the level of income some people are capable of earning (ie. skill development).  Because once you find a way to make enough money to "afford" the market rent, all of a sudden there isn't an affordability problem.  Maybe we need to encourage some of these people to explore alternative, more affordable places to live?  Further, if we keep throwing money at low barrier, housing solutions for the homeless, we might just find that more people come here to take advantage of our generosity.

Secondly, we need to amalgamate.  Navigating 5 or 6 municipalities is painful for developers.  Not only that but it's a joke to consider only options within "the City of Victoria" when options less than a 20 minute commute might be more affordable.  We need to enhance transit, and we need to move past this idea that having room mates is a bad thing, or that all property owners are evil.  If the City regulates the hell out the rental market (ie, makes life difficult for those who supply housing), guess what we'll discover that the supply of rental housing will dry up very quickly.  We're already seeing people choose to supply short term housing instead because there are fewer headaches.

• Nparker, LJ, tedward and 4 others like this

#1691 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:21 AM

Juno for CoV mayor 2022 (I wish it could be sooner).

#1692 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:42 AM

That is a weird, misleading comment.

Every step Horgan has taken has been to suppress demand. 

#1693 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:16 AM

View Royal residents say affordable housing is a non-issue in their community. Respondents to a resident survey cited affordable housing as a less important issue facing the municipality than traffic, infrastructure, safety services, community planning, public transit, green space, government spending and climate change.

Affordable housing a low priority in View Royal according to resident survey

https://victoria.cit...esident-survey/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1694 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:07 PM

I received my 2019 property tax notice from the CoV today and my taxes are up 22.5%!  :eek:  This is how the CoV makes housing affordable?  :confused:

• VIResident likes this

#1695 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:14 AM

Yup.  All the bills are coming in.  Wait until next year Nparker

#1696 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:21 AM

I received my 2019 property tax notice from the CoV today and my taxes are up 22.5%!  :eek:  This is how the CoV makes housing affordable?  :confused:

It does make housing affordable, affordable for other people.

#1697 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:20 PM

I received my 2019 property tax notice from the CoV today and my taxes are up 22.5%! :eek: This is how the CoV makes housing affordable? :confused:

There must be something askew with your situation. Our commercial strata property taxes went up a little over 4 percent. Us commercial wankers usually get clipped a lot harder than you hapless residential types.

#1698 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:25 PM

As I have said my assessment was up 20% this year, but it has gone up more in the past and it never meant a boost in my property taxes like this.

#1699 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:27 PM

as you know the two are not directly linked. they are indirectly linked using another set of variables.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 May 2019 - 03:28 PM.

#1700 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

I'd care a lot less if Her Worseship wasn't allegedly concerned about housing affordability in the the CoV.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users