Value Village Floor is Collapsing

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Yes, the article has now been re-written and no longer contains the reference.

Look at the comment someone wrote on the piece before it was edited:

Victoriana
12:48 PM on 2/1/2012
And now I'm questioning why "bloggers on the Vibrant Victoria website" were the first to notice this problem. Management and staff didn't detect a problem on their own?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

The story has been edited down quite a bit and the VibrantVictoria reference deleted. I don't know if it's a nefarious editor or simply a succinct print version of a story replacing a wordier early web version. Sometimes stories are cut to fit the physical paper and only one version is retained.

#23 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

It could have been that an editor was reluctant to print that their readers could obtain more timely news at www.vibrantvictoria.ca

#24 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

The story has been edited down quite a bit and the VibrantVictoria reference deleted. I don't know if it's a nefarious editor or simply a succinct print version of a story replacing a wordier early web version. Sometimes stories are cut to fit the physical paper and only one version is retained.

The new version is longer and not more succinct. I think there is no excuse for omitting a credit for a story even if space is at a premium.

It ought to be something that editors ensure is included and not weed out at their discretion.

#25 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

It could have been that an editor was reluctant to print that their readers could obtain more timely news at www.vibrantvictoria.ca

Obtain more timely news like "the guy from the sunset room removed a structural beam and that's why the floor's falling" when it appears that's not true at all?

Also, gotta love how the "I love downtown Victoria" Facebook group posted that completely unverified speculation and the comments started to become a lynch mob.

#26 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

The I Love Facebook page wrote that it is alleged not that it is fact. They raised an issue originally raised here. The facts are vetted once the pot has been stirred which is the purpose of bringing issues to light in the first place. The owner of the club even engaged the public which he did admirably and we have a better understanding of his interpretation of the situation. Would this have happened had no issue been raised? That's doubtful.

Even you just wrote that it appears that a beam was not removed. Do you know for certain? Are you involved in the structural investigation? History Buff may have overheard store employees wondering about the beam and reported that here. We do not know how that allegation came to light so take it easy.

#27 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Of course, everything is "alleged" or "appears." I understand that, you understand that, but it's hilarious that people on Facebook will start crowing about the owner being a moron, and how there must have clearly been payoffs to inspectors, and so on, based purely on one person's unverified post from a message board.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

It's just the nature of the Internet. Obviously some people have a chip on their shoulders towards authority and in their mind everyone is paid off or everyone's in on something or other.

Bringing issues to light, whether they are initially accurate or not, is a part of public discourse. It is far better to air dirty laundry and have it dealt with accordingly than allow ideas or theories to fester and become larger than life.

I think the fellow from Sunset Room also created an account on VV. We'll see if he wishes to weigh in on here as well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

Fact..
I asked a company person if he knew why he floor was sagging.
Ths person told me that a suporting column had been removed by the operator of he club inhe basement.He said this was done without the knowledge of Value Village
I was also told that Value Village was responsible for repairing the damage because the operator of the club downstairs was renting the space fromValue Village

I amnot a structual engineer so my observations could be incorrect but the sag in Value Village is below or quiet near the supporting beamand columns upstairs and would think that the supporting colums would be inline downs stairs as well.

I guess the only sure way of finding out is to ask the City buikding inspector or try toget access or at least a look inside the downstairs area.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

Obtain more timely news like "the guy from the sunset room removed a structural beam and that's why the floor's falling" when it appears that's not true at all?

I asked a company person if he knew why he floor was sagging.
This person told me that a supporting column had been removed by the operator of the club in the basement. He said this was done without the knowledge of Value Village

There we have it. Like I wrote earlier, much of what is reported by the community is not merely inference or general assumptions, it is based on observation and in the case of History Buff's experience, interaction with the store's staff. Granted we now know that it may not be a supporting beam issue after all, but at the time that may have been the leading theory. News evolves, right, and that is a lesson to us all that not everything you read in the paper is factual (I can certainly attest to that based on an experience I once had, but that's for another day).

Know it all.

#31 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

^Yeah, but we all know the city building inspector is lying on a beach in the Bahamas right now sipping pina colada's after his big payoff. :D
In chains by Keynes

#32 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:47 AM

I read in the around town section of the paper a contractor has been hired to do minor renovations and improvements to the front entrance. Anyone else confirm this?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users