Photo

[Saanich] Broadmead Village

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

The term "white trash" used to be a smear against poor rural white folks. If it still means what it used to mean then I'm not getting the association with Romeo's.

#22 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

Sorry - 'white trash' to *me* is discount, low-par, run-of-the-mill-for-the-masses. Doesn't help the first Romeo's I visited was the creepy one in the strip mall on Hillside.

But I have NEVER been impressed with their pizza... maybe its an 'original West-Coast'er thing. We *much* prefer Panago's unique-ish pies (if we are doing take-out, obviously) - their Chipotle Chicken pizza might just-well be my current pizza-kryptonite.

• LocalMom likes this

#23 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

Is a new tenant confirmed for the old Romeo's after all?

Edited by Szeven, 28 December 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#24 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Stores owners are saying CIBC will replace Romeos.

When Romeos moves it will just add to the current issue of parking and congested traffic within Broadmead Village.

Not sure if its the location of the 4 way stop or the fact the some dont understand the concept of a 4 way stop, that makes it a traffic choke point.

All in all though, the renos look great.

#25 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

CIBC is moving into the Romeos spot. There is an entrance / exit at the back beside the Pharmasave but few people seem to use it.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

Is Romeo's leaving the centre or are they relocating within?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

Romeo's is moving across the parking lot into a space in the strip mall near the Mexican joint. They've been working on it for months now and it's still not close to finished.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

^ Either business at Romeo's wasn't as good as I thought or the mall owners paid them a whack to move. Looks like the new location is smaller and certainly will have far less visibility from the road.

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,861 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

...the new location is smaller and certainly will have far less visibility from the road.

Yes this does seem like an unusual move. This location always seemed to do a good business when I visited.

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

^ Either business at Romeo's wasn't as good as I thought or the mall owners paid them a whack to move. Looks like the new location is smaller and certainly will have far less visibility from the road.

Less visibility from the street perhaps, but much higher visibility within the complex, compared to the Siberia location today.

Scattered throughout the centre are several new "no panhandling" signs. Can't blame the panhandlers--you gotta go where the rich people are--that's capitalism 101.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#31 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,354 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

Stores owners are saying CIBC will replace Romeos.

When Romeos moves it will just add to the current issue of parking and congested traffic within Broadmead Village.

Not sure if its the location of the 4 way stop or the fact the some dont understand the concept of a 4 way stop, that makes it a traffic choke point.

All in all though, the renos look great.

Too much traffic for a 4 way stop. Needs to be rethought. A light would likely be better.

#32 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

Less visibility from the street perhaps, but much higher visibility within the complex, compared to the Siberia location today.

Scattered throughout the centre are several new "no panhandling" signs. Can't blame the panhandlers--you gotta go where the rich people are--that's capitalism 101.

I would think that as a restaurant you would want visibility from outside the complex. No matter which direction you head you also need to walk by another restaurant to get there which isn't usually a good idea either.

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

I would think that as a restaurant you would want visibility from outside the complex. No matter which direction you head you also need to walk by another restaurant to get there which isn't usually a good idea either.

The good places to eat are by word of mouth, and not so much how visible they are from the street.

#34 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,354 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

The good places to eat are by word of mouth, and not so much how visible they are from the street.

I think that's only partly true. High visibility makes a big difference. I doubt I would have tried Romeo's since moving to Victoria if it wasn't in its current visible location. There ARE other less visible restaurants we've tried due to word of mouth though. Having both has got to be the best scenario.

#35 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

True to some point but there is no substitute for catching impulse 'buyers' and you do that with visibility.

#36 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,125 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Romeo's lease at the old place must have run out at the end of February because I went by & the lights were out. They must be within days of opening at the new place. I've heard that it's got the same number of seats at the new location but a different mix of table sizes. I had a look in the window & it looks way swanky, like Earl's or Cactus Club.

#37 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,861 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Romeo's lease at the old place must have run out at the end of February because I went by & the lights were out. They must be within days of opening at the new place. I've heard that it's got the same number of seats at the new location but a different mix of table sizes. I had a look in the window & it looks way swanky, like Earl's or Cactus Club.

So they've gone with the look of the d/t location. 

#38 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,354 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

I wonder if the menu will change, and of course the prices...

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,861 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

I wonder if the menu will change, and of course the prices...

The d/t location offers the same menu & same prices, even though it has a "swankier" decor.

#40 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:55 AM

Romeo's open this past weekend.  Did not seem to effect parking and traffic.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users