BUILT
Yello on Yates
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 819 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Yello on Yates is a mixed-use rental residential and ground floor commercial tower spanning the 800 blocks of ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Yello on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Yello on Yates | Rentals; commercial | 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2018

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
662 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

Don't most condos have a caretakers unit? Parc Residences does, that I know for sure as a friend had to deal with the caretaker to get a few things figured out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

Don't most condos have a caretakers unit? Parc Residences does, that I know for sure as a friend had to deal with the caretaker to get a few things figured out.

Most buildings that have caretaker units are actual units with a bedroom and kitchen for the caretaker to live in.

The location and size as it is drawn in the plans it would be more geared towards a rental manager office in my opinion; however, I guess it could be used for a condo building manager office.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

Oh, I see what you're saying. Yeah for sure you don't see that in condo buildings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:05 PM

My God...if there was ever a lot crying out for a 20+ floor tower...
  • Nparker, 2F2R and Mr Cook Street like this

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

Chard is seeking a zoning amendment to axe two supported housing units that were mandated as part of Emaar's original rezoning. Seeing as the project is now a rental the supported housing units are perhaps beyond the scope of such a project. A public meeting will be held on February 4th at 6PM in Chard's Sovereign building on Broughton Street.

Know it all.

#46 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

I was part of the Downtown Residents' Assn. during this period and our thoughts at the time were that during Victoria's last condo boom it was perfectly reasonable to ask corporate behemoth Emaar to throw us a bone--designate two of the less desirable suites as below-market housing. This was before the Traveller's Inn purchases so at the time, anything to chip away at keeping low-income people downtown was needed. 

I think a program like they have at 834 Johnson (Chard's other condo) is good--have a floor bought by one of the housing non-profits that then rents it out at a cost tied to the renter's income. Everybody wins.

#47 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:02 PM

I was part of the Downtown Residents' Assn. during this period and our thoughts at the time were that during Victoria's last condo boom it was perfectly reasonable to ask corporate behemoth Emaar to throw us a bone--designate two of the less desirable suites as below-market housing. This was before the Traveller's Inn purchases so at the time, anything to chip away at keeping low-income people downtown was needed. 

I think a program like they have at 834 Johnson (Chard's other condo) is good--have a floor bought by one of the housing non-profits that then rents it out at a cost tied to the renter's income. Everybody wins.

No, not everyone. Living in the same building with "affordable" housing is less marketable. People have perceptions, I'm not saying they are justified. Developer loses. 

Edited by Mixed365, 25 January 2015 - 08:11 PM.

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#48 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

^No,it's not like the 819 website is going to have a big red banner reading "Contains two poor people!" 

I doubt many residents would be aware their building contains residents with subsidized rents. And I doubt many buyers ask this question of their Realtors. 

#49 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

^No,it's not like the 819 website is going to have a big red banner reading "Contains two poor people!" 

I doubt many residents would be aware their building contains residents with subsidized rents. And I doubt many buyers ask this question of their Realtors. 

You would be surprised what clients ask their Realtor. 

Seeing as this building is entirely rental, I would argue you will be less likely to have concerned potential renters. When we are talking about home ownership the number of concerns rises drastically. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#50 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

Better still, boost the Yates Street portion by 5 floors.

Consider the effect of shadow lines across the street. These will be north facing buildings blocking the sun across the street. Also there are other buildings in the area like 860 View and The Wave that will have the sky blocked out on their west side.

#51 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

Consider the effect of shadow lines across the street. These will be north facing buildings blocking the sun across the street. Also there are other buildings in the area like 860 View and The Wave that will have the sky blocked out on their west side.

Shades are definitely a negative externality. As per the view, nobody owns a view. 

• KAS likes this

- Jane Jacobs 

#52 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

Consider the effect of shadow lines across the street. These will be north facing buildings blocking the sun across the street...

Since the shadow effect is really only noticeable on sunny days, we're probably talking an issue of only half the year in any case. I stand by my one taller, thinner tower suggestion.

• 2F2R and AllseeingEye like this

#53 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

I'd like to see the View side smaller and the Yates side taller to compensate.  The building to the north is an office building, so privacy concerns area lot less.

However, I really wish this were done in the context of the Capital 6 lot.  If you moved all this density to Blanshard and let the parking lot be lower (6 storeys or so) infill, this would be a lot nicer.  

#54 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

Why would you need a manager's office in a condo tower? 

Manger%2BOffice.jpg

I wonder what it would be like living in one of those one bedrooms with a deck that is on Yates st. - could be really fun. 

- Jane Jacobs 

#55 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

That is the pedestrian walkway between View and Yates. It is commercial on Yates.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#56 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

That is the pedestrian walkway between View and Yates. It is commercial on Yates.

Ahh, thank you for the clarification. 

- Jane Jacobs 

#57 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

Half of this parking lot is closed this morning and a geotech rig is on site to do some drilling. :construction:

• Mr Cook Street, sasamat and Mixed365 like this

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

Taken today

819-Yates-February-11-2015a.jpg

819-Yates-February-11-2015b.jpg

Know it all.

#59 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:18 AM

Things are getting serious!

#60 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

Any word on if the building has been sold? My guess would be is they would want to secure a buyer before starting construction.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users