BUILT
Yello on Yates
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 819 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Yello on Yates is a mixed-use rental residential and ground floor commercial tower spanning the 800 blocks of ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Yello on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Yello on Yates | Rentals; commercial | 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2018

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
662 replies to this topic

#61 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

^Why so? It will take a couple of years to build, and then being a rental they will still make money while waiting on a buyer.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 14 February 2015 - 08:20 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

Is Chard's intention to sell the building?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:20 PM

Re: 819 Yates. The sign is up now, 16 stories. Construction will start summer of 2015. Public meeting to be announced. From my point of view, living in The Wave, I think it is a good project. It replaces a parking lot that is a party space for street people, yelling and screaming. The former Capitol wall is a urinal. Visually, it will be a relief to obscure that blank brick wall of the Capitol. The owners of the Capitol have erected cast iron gates on two alcoves on Yates Street. 

However, my daughter lives on View and her view will be blocked. I hope the rents are fair, it's a nice area to live in apart from the security problems.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#64 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

If construction is already scheduled to start what is the point of a public meeting? (I think we have too many of those anyway).

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:48 PM

The public hearing is required to remove two supported housing units from the zoning, which were promised as part of a condo development. Since this is a rental Chard wants them removed.

The tower will be 15-storeys on the Yates Street side and 11 on the View Street side.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:21 PM

The tower will be 15-storeys on the Yates Street side and 11 on the View Street side.

I wish it were going to be taller on Yates and shorter on View. I keep forgetting the downtown atmosphere runs out of oxygen at 16 floors.

#67 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:35 PM

I don't know why Dave is investing so much into fighting this tiny affordability agreement. Is is really a deal-breaker for him?

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:08 AM

It must be. Something more suited for a condo is not going to fly in a rental, especially if it's the only rental with such a zoning oddity.

Know it all.

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

Will this be the project that finally inspires Victorians to abandon their love/hate relationship with widescrapers? Victorians love to build widescrapers but they also hate to have widescrapers.

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

I, for one, will always hate widescrapers. This project will not change my opinion in the least.

#71 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:04 PM

define "widescaper" please

#72 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

A wide highrise like view towers.

#73 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:39 PM

And the Jack Davis Building.

#74 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

Exciting and disappointing all at once. The transformation of the area around Blanshard and Yates sure is something, but this thing is going to be one heck of a wide building. 

It's Chard, so I expect a quality build, but the massing is all wrong. I wish it was one, slim 25 storey tower. That's what this area really needs. 

I guess if we're going to have another short, fat, uninspiring building like the Wave, it might as well be on the same block as the Wave. Hopefully tiles don't fall off this one for years. If the finished quality and street level interaction are good, this might turn out OK. 

• Nparker likes this

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself jonny.

#76 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:36 AM

Why thank you, nparker.

I do like that this one has some different colors to it.

Edited by jonny, 11 May 2015 - 07:37 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#77 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:26 AM

Making the View Street side shorter was the right idea but they didn't make it short enough.

• jonny likes this

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

Making the View Street side shorter was the right idea but they didn't make it short enough.

That would require making the Yates Street side taller (which it should be, IMHO).

• jonny likes this

#79 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:00 AM

I wish it was one, slim 25 storey tower. That's what this area really needs. 

That implies a luxury tower and that would be a tough sell at that location.

I've lost track of the number of designs by numerous architects for this site.

#80 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:05 AM

I'm not all that concerned about the current design given the footprint. I'm hoping the width won't be noticed as the ends abut the streets.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users