BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#21 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

VV ers stay tuned, there will be more information coming soon.
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Excellent news, Jon. Thanks for coming here and keeping us up-to-date.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

That is great news. Congratulations Jon. Can't wait to see this transform.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

I look forward to seeing what is proposed to augment the restoration of the Janion. Based on the plans for the NJ property I already approve. :thumbsup:

#25 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

Excellent news, Jon. Thanks for coming here and keeping us up-to-date.

Hear, hear! Let's hope that Council doesn't feel the need to interfere too much.

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

Dave Dickson
Victoria Councillor Pamela Madoff joins me @cfax1070 at 1:30 to talk about the sale of the old Janion Building on Store St. #yyj

http://cfax1070.com/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#27 Ken Johnson

Ken Johnson
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

Our thanks to Jon Stoval and Crosswind Properties for the purchase of the Janion Hotel. We hope the next step will be an application to designate the building as a municipal heritage site. The added level of protection would remove the spectral of a continual demolition permit pending as was formerly the case.

A copy of the Heritage Consultant's report prepared for the City of Victoria in 2008 can be seen on my SkyDrive site at:
https://skydrive.liv...942774072B3!125

For you history buffs, the building was constructed by John Turner, former Mayor of Victoria and Premier of B.C. in 1891. He wanted a temperance hotel (Colonist August 15, 1891) but the lessees quickly found out they needed a liquor license to survive. By the time they got through the application process they went broke and the fittings of the hotel were all sold off (Colonist October 4, 1892). The license came through on the 19th of March in 1893 and the premises were up for lease until September of that year, when the Ice and Cold Storage Company took on the building. For an interesting take on the City of Victoria water supply of that time I refer you to the Colonist of May 9, 1894, page 6; "Injunction Refused - Corporation Fails to Cut Off the Cold Storage Company's Esquimalt Water" http://www.britishco...ca/dateList.php

Ken Johnson
Hallmark Heritage Society

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

Thank you for the background info, Ken, that's much appreciated.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 arsenate

arsenate
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

I wonder if these developers are partially behind the rather biased bridge replacement campaign that had so much slick advertising and such presence during the Johnson street bridge referendum? It looks as though the combined development of the Janion and the "Northern Junk" buildings across the street (plus the freed-up green space where the wharf to johnson lanes currently lie) could be substantially tied to the road re-routing.

I have been waiting to see what developments arose along the old street right of way (on either side of the bridge) hoping it would shed some light on the replacement campaign.

Does anybody have some insight into this? I may just be paranoid, but I detected a really strong push for replacement, by city hall, during the campaign. I found it puzzling. For example, advertising for "replace the bridge" all over the city, slick brochures describing the benefits of replacement, inflating the cost of bridge repair by including arbitrary "downtown business disruption" figures, etc. Didn't really make sense for city hall to be strong proponents of one particular stance given their roles as elected officials.

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Wow that is quite the loaded first comment! I would say that there is no link at all considering Northern Junk plans were done with consideration of the current bridge and were amended after the process had already started to consider the new bridge.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#31 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

Great news on the sale and redevelopment - from the pics it would make a great boutique hotel or high end condos. :cheers: Is there any bare land attached to the sale?
"I know nothing"

#32 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:43 AM

A new bridge, and new development on either side of the bridge on lands gone unused for decades - sounds good to me! :cool:

#33 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

CTV.....

http://www.ctvvancou...ern-junk-lands/
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

#34 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:04 AM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria aresenate.

#35 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

Jon, thank you for contributing. You have gone out of your way in order to keep us informed. It is through efforts like yours that makes this site such a valuable tool for everyone.

You have information.....we need information. You clearly see the value in keeping the public informed of what you are doing, and I think it is working for you.

Together we can see why Vibrant Victoria won the Community Builder award last night.

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Is there any bare land attached to the sale?

That will be the key question--how far down to the water does the purchase go? It makes sense to build closer to the water and then continue the harbour walkway linking up the new Northern Junk promenade with the one at Canoe Club. This will be the most challenging of all the Kramer properties to develop. Not only was it the crown jewel of Clara's portfolio of museum-quality heritage it's the one that presents the most possibilities and options.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#37 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

Does anybody have some insight into this? I may just be paranoid, but I detected a really strong push for replacement, by city hall, during the campaign. I found it puzzling. For example, advertising for "replace the bridge" all over the city, slick brochures describing the benefits of replacement, inflating the cost of bridge repair by including arbitrary "downtown business disruption" figures, etc. Didn't really make sense for city hall to be strong proponents of one particular stance given their roles as elected officials.

Arsenate I knew I should of NEVER have shown you this site and kept our debates for the pub on Sunday afternoons. ;)

You are putting the horse before the cart on this. These lands where not even let out of Clara's death grip until after the new bridge was already in development.

If you really must have your conspiracy theory,well then maybe the city did see the only way to get development going on in that area was to replace the bridge in its entirety. They may have looked at the reports that repairing the bridge would of only brought a lower number of years return on their investment. I for one do not understand why they say the new bridge will have a 100 year life span when their are bridges the world over that last more then a 100 years. But that thread is elsewhere about the city not taking care of the upkeep of their infrastructure.

The new bridge most definitely had something to do with the sell of these lands and the improvements to this area. But more then the bridge I think the movement of the shelter to Rock Bay and out of the neighborhood encouraged this more.

Its about a safer and more gentrified neighbor. Remember when we had the talk about Swan's no longer having to lock their bathroom doors? That's the kind of stuff that encourages development. A pretty new bridge is just a value added item.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#38 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

This is fabulous news. Thanks for the news Jon.

What about the parking lot next door? Is that a part of this sale?

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

I wonder if these developers are partially behind the rather biased bridge replacement campaign that had so much slick advertising and such presence during the Johnson street bridge referendum? It looks as though the combined development of the Janion and the "Northern Junk" buildings across the street (plus the freed-up green space where the wharf to johnson lanes currently lie) could be substantially tied to the road re-routing.

I have been waiting to see what developments arose along the old street right of way (on either side of the bridge) hoping it would shed some light on the replacement campaign.

I don't think city officials or politicians tried to hide their preference for a new bridge.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#40 Jon S

Jon S
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

This is fabulous news. Thanks for the news Jon.

What about the parking lot next door? Is that a part of this sale?

The Lot to the South is City owned and looks to be part of the Bridge Head Plaza. The Lots to the North are not part of the purchase.
Jon Stovell
President
Reliance Properties

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users